Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • Slow Drivers – That's it, I believe the world has gone mad.
  • schrickvr6
    Free Member

I failed my first driving test for doing 30mph in a 40mph and “failing to maintain the flow of traffic”.

winston_dog
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member
    I see “slow drivers” no different to someone parking in a dangerous or inappropriate manner. Yes it’s the responsibility of the driver to pass a badly parked car, but it is foolish to pretend that a badly parked car can’t in anyway be responsible for an accident

Absolutely Ernie.
    All accidents have a number of factors that come together and cause the end result.
    I was on an A road the other day, stuck in a line of traffic caught behind a car doing 35 – 40 mph. If they are not in a hurry then pull over and let people get on with their lives.
    The worst ones are the numpties that trundle along a 60mph road at 40mph, then continue at this speed through villages with 30 mph limits, blissfully unaware of their surroundings.
    From what I’ve seen these are the drivers that seem to have poor control of their vehicle, braking on corners, squeezing cyclists etc.

craigxxl
    Free Member

i can see where they are coming from, but yes it is the overtakers responsibility at the end of the day,

I got stuck behind a car doing 60 in the 50 zones and 50 in the 60 zones, so when i got to a safe place to overtake they speed up to 70 as i was overtaking!

What is needed is traffic police, not cameras. Catch stupid driving be it fast or slow.

I come across this many times during the week as the drivers are usually messing about with their phones, radio or dicks to concentrate on the job in hand of driving.

Going home last night I followed a car for 4 miles who was in the middle lane of the motorway doing 50 mph with his left hand indicator on. All other car drivers were confused as they approached him thinking he was changing lanes but then been forced into the third lane to get past him which was causing a tail back. As I eventually got past him I noticed he just busy talking to his girlfriend oblivious to chaos he was causing so I pulled in front of him and put my 4 ways on and slowed down until changed to the 1st lane and realised his indicator was on.

The modern standard of driving is very poor and more police are required to patrol the roads rather than relying on cameras. Most accidents are caused by lack of observation and planning not speed or lack off as people drive around with brains in neutral and thumbs up their backsides hence cyclists getting knocked of their bikes because the driver didn’t see them despite the fact they were lit up like a christmas tree and dressed in dayglo fabrics.

v8ninety

Maybe i’m wrong, but don’t those dotted lines at the end of the slip mean ‘give way’ ? A driver on the slip can only enter lane 1 of the motorway when safe to do so? Therefore, if Lane 1 is full of traffic that is unable to move out the vehicle on the slip must give way?

And therin lies the problem. What you say is obviously legally true. BUT. The only time that lane one is actually ‘full of traffic’ is when there is nose to tail congestion. When traffic is moving at normal motorway speeds there is always enough of a gap to be able to match speeds and filter in safely so long as you maintain good situational awarness. The gap in traffic you need if travelling at the same speed as traffic is what? 5-6 car lengths? then obviously open up a two second space with the vehicle in front. If you end up stationary at the end of a slip road, you’ll then need a gap big enough for you car to be able to accelerate to around 60 mph, which is huge and very unlikely if it is at all busy.

iain1775
    Free Member

That’s correct muddy but if someone comes down the slip t the correct speed to merge in then they shouldn’t have a problem , what gets me is people that drive down slip see a lorry coming up in lane 1 and totally fail to adjust their speed up or down to merge in front or behind the vehicle, then have to brake to an almost stop before giving you a mouthful because you where behind them and managed the situation to enter the motorway in the gap behind lorry, if they can’t judge the situation why should I then risk having to stop just to follow them onto the road
    To OP slow driving causes frustration
    Frustration causes accidents
    inappropriate driving causes accidents, be that too fast or too slow

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

really this place should be renamed petrol head world. Of course you guys have the right to drive at an over the speed limits everywhere. anyone who gets in your way, granny, newb or cyclist must get out of your way instantly.

None of you ever break speed limits I guess?

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Driving slow is like driving quick – it can be done safely by appropriately skilled drivers, and given that most people are better than ‘average’ drivers it’s strange that so few people seem able to manage it.

😆

So true.

winston_dog
    Free Member

anyone who gets in your way, granny, newb or cyclist must get out of your way instantly

Where has anyone said that?

Consideration and awareness for other road users applies to everyone.

Even you.

project
    Free Member

Driving back from Wrexham towards chester, a horse box full of uncooked cat and dog food in front,the driver seemes to not believe in steering just drove straight at both roundabouts, almost hitting us, luckily on the third in quick succession i pulled back, much to the annoyance of the two audi drivers behind, he then proceeded to drive down the bypass at 40 mph, gripimmg the wheel like a mad sea captain fighting a huge storm,at sea.

Oh and on the m53 why do cars drive like an idiot up the slip road and suddenly almost stop ,at the entry onto the motorway,even when theres plenty of space to get out,some of the on-slips are short on the m53, but offer good visability.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

winston dog – its all over this thread and any other where the petrol heads gather.

its all me me me gerroutofmyway

winston_dog
    Free Member

All people have asked for is for consideration for other road users who may need to be somewhere quicker than you.

What’s a “petrol head” BTW?

Lifer
    Free Member

I think the roads would be a much nicer place if people drove slower.

*Wanders off whistling wistfully*

TJ, as you don’t have children you aren’t allowed to contribute to this thread.

Or something like that..

yunki
    Free Member

The worst ones are the numpties that trundle along a 60mph road at 40mph, then continue at this speed through villages with 30 mph limits

That was me yesterday.. 😳

I had a double thickness four tier wedding cake on board and I was not sacrificing controlled smooth and even progress to appease irate BMW drivers..

Lifer
    Free Member

TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR – Member

TJ, as you don’t have children you aren’t allowed to contribute to this thread.

Or something like that..

😆

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Great co operative live and let live attitudes expressed on this thread

Just calm down and relax and save your blood pressure.

Yet they won’t pull into any parking places or make any attempt to let faster moving traffic past?

I don’t mind slow drivers taking in the scenery, but they could at least have the decency to allow others to progress surely. The frustration that gets caused by this CAN lead to some slightly suspect overtakes at times.

Everyone has the right to expect to be able to drive at the maximum allowed speed limit,

what gets me is where you have a gorgeously winding road which is NSL or 60mph limited, and some muppet is driving round it at 44-45mph and slowing for the corners

It is like being blocked out on a lovely piece of singletrack.

Slow drivers irk me and there should at least be some attempt to keep in line with the speed limit where safe to do so.

That’s great if you have all the time in the world parkesie – sometimes people actually need to get to a destination on time and the tractor should pull over when it has a reasonable amount of traffic behind it. Invariably they dont.

If you have/want to drive slower than everyone else, then you have to create passing opportunities,

winston_dog
    Free Member

Yunki – You risked a childs face/life etc. for a wedding cake?

winston_dog
    Free Member

TJ – Nowhere in those quotes does it say “instantly”.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Where do I get me one of these cars that allows me to see round corners? I just got to get me one of those.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

BMW or Audi. sbz. Its part of the “git kit” special parts pack

winston_dog
    Free Member
    parkesie
    Free Member

regardless of driving cycling or getting the train somewhere surely allowing that little bit of extra time to allow for a fudge factor makes sense.

I live in the same world as you TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR i just have a more relaxed attitude to driving. My daily commute is often quicker on the bike due to slow drivers and numptys blocking traffic lights and roundabouts. I just allow the extra time so i can just chill until im on my way again.

winston_dog
    Free Member

TJ – Have you ever done any Equality or Diversity courses?

To make assumptions and show contempt to individuals because of the way they look, dress, what they decide to eat, drive, where they live is wrong.

I didn’t realise you were such a right winger!

yunki
    Free Member

Yunki – You risked a childs face/life etc. for a wedding cake?

to be honest.. I only hit two kids.. and they were already ugly and where they were living I can’t imagine thay had that great a quality of life.. (oh.. and I hit one cyclist but they were on an inappropriate/unfashionable bike so they deserved it)

I did feel a bit of a git however as it was on one of the most gloriously twisty and undulating roads in all of Devon and people love driving along it..
    The guy I felt most sorry for was an OAP in driving gloves in an ancient nissan micra who came up behind me doing well over 70.. he was obviously out for a bit of a blast..

grahamh
    Free Member

No one seems to have pointed out the “Elephant in the Room”.
    That number on the red circle, is THE MAXIMUM speed you are allowed to travel at, IT IS NOT A TARGET.

Really, you lot need to get out and ride you bikes more.

winston_dog
    Free Member

I will be putting the body armour and 6″ travel bike in the back of the BMW and driving 75 miles to a trail centre later today.

I will ensure I drive at the speed limit all the way and when I get to the trail centre I will brake heavily before each corner to make sure I can feel and enhance the bumps.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

As you will be failed for driving too slowly for the conditions on a driving test, I think it is reasonable for all road users to drive at a suitable speed – therefore the ones driving unreasonably slowly do contribute to accidents as other road users become frustrated when stuck behind them. But yes of course the onus still has to be on the overtaking vehicle (often motorbikes too) to overtake safely. Such as the rider in the centre of York yesterday who flew past slow moving cars at way over the speed limit and to the right of a traffic island (marked keep left). Fortunately the pedestrians managed to get out of his way.

I am a pretty relaxed driver parkesie – I never suffer road rage, although may have a little mutter to myself.

However, I drive over 40k a year on all sorts of roads – sometimes I have spare time, sometimes I dont. People not driving suitably for the situation, or being considerate irks me – and that goes way beyond people just driving slowly. Driving isn’t hard, yet some people seem to make it seem that way.

Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Slow Drivers – That's it, I believe the world has gone mad.’ is closed to new replies.