Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • (Slightly OT/darkside) New BB30 bearings creaking (again)
  • The_Kraken
    Free Member

Hello,

The new (about a month old) bearings I installed in my Synapse are creaking when I’m pedalling. I installed them correctly with a proper headset press and used grease (didn’t use Loctite) on the bearings and spindle. But, after just a few weeks the dreaded creak is back.

I have a few questions before giving up completely and buying a threaded adapter:
    Is there a correct way round that the bearings should go?
    I can’t find information on if there’s a left and right set or if they should be installed with the writing round a specific way.
    Do I need to use Loctite on the outside of the bearings to keep them in place once they’re installed?

Any help greatly appreciated.

coatesy
    Free Member

Medium strength bearing retaining compound on the frame interface is what CSG recommend, we also put a smear of copper-grease on the axle before assembly.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Any help greatly appreciated

Unfortunately, BB30 really is a crock. My mate has a ‘dale and it simply eats BB30 bearings for fun. Sorry.

patagonian
    Free Member

I use the Hope BB30 option, works really well. Basically you screw both cups together to form a solid unit. Only problem is that it is pricey.

The_Kraken
    Free Member

Thanks everyone. I greased it up real good last night and it seems OK this morning, but I know that’s a short-term fix.

I’ll try the bearing retaining compound next time I pull them out.

peteimpreza

I had a the same after two weeks . One of the balls inside the bearing race had collapsed causing the noise.

13thfloormonk

Be aware as well that BB30 is NOT the same as BB30A which I’m sure is what Cannondales come with. Worth remembering when buying adaptors etc.

Worth playing with bolt tightness as well, I did my BB30A (FSA Gossamer) crank bolt up with a proper torque wrench, never suffered from any serious creaking. Also greased axles with Park blue grease.

sillyoldman

Standard bearings are symmetrical, so doesn’t matter which way they go in, but angular contact bearings have a right way and a wrong way.

Bearing fit will help, but having worked on loads that were a pain in the ass, if it were mine I’d fit a thread together reducer BB like a Wheels Mfg unit for 24mm cranks.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘(Slightly OT/darkside) New BB30 bearings creaking (again)’ is closed to new replies.