Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Slight play in fox rear shock
  • nickjb
    Free Member

I’ve got a Fox Septune on my Stumpjumper. Its similar to an RP3 I think. There is a tiny bit of play in the movement. Can barely feel it but it does make a slight tick noise. Its not the bush. I’ve taken the shock off and its in the main linear movement.

Its fairly old but still seems to work OK. Its an awkward size so not easy to replace. Full service will be £85ish so a bit hard to justify on such an old unit. Any ideas on what the play might be, or where to look?

wordnumb
    Free Member

Does the play occur when you lift the bike, or as the shock compresses?

I’d bet it is one of the bushes – easy enough to remove the shock and see if there’s any lateral movement by hand – but if not: you’ll struggle to find a shock of the same stroke length and eye-to-eye, £85 is the going rate for servicing, and the Stumpies that had these shocks are great bikes and well worth keeping alive.

nickjb
    Free Member

Just given it a quick air can clean and lube. While it was apart it felt like the play was in the damping mech. Not really prepared to strip that down as it’s only tiny so not desperate to get it done. Might look for a second hand unit so I can send it off for a service at some point without missing riding. Anyone got an old septune or triad kicking around?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Book it in with one of the usual suspects and it will get turned around in a couple of days. You’ll not miss much riding. Not worth having a second shock around just for that.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Slight play in fox rear shock’ is closed to new replies.