Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Slight crack in carbon bars… Bin them?
  • rickon
    Free Member

Hi,

I over torqued my grips very slightly on my ec90 flat cnt bars, and there's now a 1cm fracture running from the end of the bar.

Do I just bin them now? Or drill a hole at the end of the crack
    To stop it spreading?

They're used on my road bike….

Cheers

Ricks

IA

Eh? Bin, no doubt IMO. Especially on the road, going over the bars in traffic – not fun! Off road it's a nasty break at worse, on road you might catch death.

On a related note – flat bars on a road bike? You mean you've got a hybrid? ;-P

boxelder

Drill, monitor, ride with half an eye on it.

loddrik
    Free Member

Yes, they're shot, you could kill yourself!!

I'll take 'em… 😉

snowpaul
    Free Member

er cut the bar down – assuming its the outer lock on jaw that did the damage vs inner jaw? use but monitor it?

paul

loddrik
    Free Member

I had the same on my old monkey bars, they were like that for 3 years on my 575 and boy did the bike get some stick.

They are absolutely fine.

sidewinder
    Free Member

Bin fodder imo as carbon tends not to have a gradual failure it just GOES and usually takes you with it !

clubber
    Free Member

If they were mine I'd just keep an eye to check it doesn't grow which I reckon is unlikely. Depending on how well informed/paranoid/stupid about carbon you are, ymmv.

Sidewinder – have you seen how aluminium bars break? 🙄

IA

I'm not carbon paranoid ( I rode a carbon DH bike for years, currently carbon bars, post & cranks on the XC bike) but I'd still bin them.

Well aware of how carbon and alu bars break. Would replace cracked alu bars too.

Onzadog
    Free Member

are they creaking yet?

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

Cut the ends off if its only 1cm? Or if you dont want to, I'd just keep a watchful eye on it.

DrDomRob
    Free Member

I wouldn't drill it as although it will reduce the stress concentration at the crack tip you are just opening up more opportunities for cracks to propogate through the weave and for fraying to start at the edges of the hole – remember Carbon is NOT black metal.

You could do what the airlines do and bolt a wapping great big alu sleeve over it?!

But I wouldn't do that. not sure what I would do to be honest, you could maybe use some resin to fill the gap and then monitor it closely. However cutting down would be a suitable idea if you'll only lose 1cm.

Anthony
    Free Member

Are you sure the EC90 is ok with lock-on grips? IIRC they are quite particular with what sort of bar-end clamps are suitable to use on the ends.

If it was mine I'd lop off the ends and just run 'normal' grips.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Slight crack in carbon bars… Bin them?’ is closed to new replies.