Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • sliding dropout – wobbly wheel conundrum
  • captain_bastard
    Free Member

another sliding dropout problem, i've searched the forum and can't find anything similar

building up an inbred sliding dropout, using a halo bolt up skewer and one chaintug. Everything seemed to slot together fine, but first ride out i noticed my rear wheel was loose (as if it has loose bearings). Bit odd as I just had the wheel serviced, so

I have just fitted another wheel, from another bike, bolted everything up, and same wobble? I've tried bolting it up with the wheel as far forward in the dropout, everything looks tight.

any ideas?

Clink

Is this the old true sliding dropout (with moving parts) or the newer slot dropout which you just use a chaintug?

cynic-al
    Free Member

are the dropouts moving in their slots?

captain_bastard
    Free Member

it's the newer sliding dropout, with no moving parts

unless i have two wobbly wheels? (but then didn't notice this on my other bike

hmmmm

cynic-al
    Free Member

pics?

Is there play at the hub axle?

captain_bastard
    Free Member

i'll dig my camera out (builders in, so everything boxed up). The play manifests itself at the rim, exactley as if the hub bearings are shagged

think i'm going to have to rule out having two wobbly wheels (unlikely, but possible), so i'm going to try fitting both wheels to another bike to check…

cynic-al
    Free Member

If the play is in the hub (i.e. not in how its clamped to the frame) you'll also feel it at the hub with the wheel off.

takisawa2

Clamp the wheel (with skewer) on the outside of the drop-out & try the bearings…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘sliding dropout – wobbly wheel conundrum’ is closed to new replies.