Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Slide Scanners – Does anyone have any experience of these?
    Free Member

Perhaps a long shot, but I’m looking to purchase one of these for my mother so that she can have convenient access to her many 35mm slides. Does anyone have any experience with what is good and what to avoid? Thanks in advance!

johnellison
    Free Member

Don’t expect miracles, is all I can say.

I did a couple of thousand that my parents had had in storage since year dot with an Ion unit and the results are variable, to say the least.

Free Member

Thank you, which one did you use? They seem to very hugely in price between about £50 and £2000, I’d like one that gives fairly decent results without costing a fortune if that is possible!!

Hobster
    Free Member

Used a Canoscan (think it was an 8000f) to digitise my parents slides.

Results are pretty good although I’m sure they could be improved by playing around with settings.

Free Member

Thanks, I’ve just had a look at the canon ones, was yours an integrated document and slide/film scanner or a slide/film only model?

Hobster
    Free Member

It’s an integrated document/slide scanner.

nedrapier

I bought a Nikon Coolscan 4, (pretty sure about the 4) a few years ago, and got great results from it. Slide and neg only, up to 4000dpi, which IIRC is equivalent to a 25MP camera. Had prints blown up to A1, and you have to get within 6 inches to see the pixelation.

The dust and scratch removal software was fantastic, too. There were a couple of images/types of image when it wouldn’t play ball, but it saved a LOT of time touching up in PS.

Free Member

That sounds ideal… I’ll have a look, was it super expensive?

CraigW
    Free Member

The £50 scanners from Maplin etc are rubbish quality, best avoided.

I’ve now got a PlusTek OpticFilm scanner, cost about £200. It can do decent quality scans. It does have dust/scratch removal, which works pretty well. Though it is rather slow – if you have thousands of slides, it will take a long time to scan them all. Especially if you want to tweak each image.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Slide Scanners – Does anyone have any experience of these?’ is closed to new replies.