Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • sleepjng bag for bivi… primaloft vs buffalo? light and damp-proof. Recommendat
  • stooo
    Free Member

I’m getting set for some bike and bivi expeditions. I’m in Scotland and is likely to be damp. Might end up in bothies ifi can find one, but could end up under the stars.

I’ve got a good bivi bag but want a lightweight sleeping bag.

Down is great… Light and warm, but doesn’t stand up well to damp, so thinking primaloft.

I love the look of the OMM mountain raid 1.6 which is super light and hada primaloft liner.

Another alternative is a sleep system from Buffalo, starting with the lightweight outer and maybe a 4S… Though using the lightweight outer with a thermal liner may be enough for summer.

I love the durability of the buffalo stuff. And the performance when damp… but they’re not the lightest and don’t pack Dow particularly small.

What are people’s thoughts?
    Any experience of the buffalo bags?

ontor
    Free Member

I have an exped ibis wb which works very well in grotty conditions.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

In my book, buffalo stuff is too heavy and bulky (unless things have changed in the last 10 years). Altho admit I’ve never tried it.

If you have a bivi bag and you store your sleeping bag in a dry bag when transporting, then I don’t think there is any need to resort to Buffalo stuff.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

For a synthetic bag – Lamina is usually the default answer.

The OMM is really designed for MM … single night where you’ll put up with near death experiences to save weight.

There’s a few folk over on Bear Bones that use Buffalo bags but not often due to the weight and bulk.

Have you considered a down bag with the new water resistant down?

stooo
    Free Member

Water resistant down? What is this magical material of which you speak? Any links?

The laminar series do seem to get gery high ratings…. might end up with that.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Most of this years Rab bags (and many others) feature it … look for ‘Hydrophobic’ in the blurb.

scotroutes

I have two Laminas – a 35 and a 0. Unless I am at least 90% certain of a dry night the down stays at home.

willard

Does anyone make a bag that uses the Keela material? Dixies Corner swear by the stuff and the clothing made using it is bloody warm.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

I know your not really looking for a down bag…… but some branches of Tiso in Scotland are selling old spec RAB down bags half price.

stooo
    Free Member

That’s worth knowing NorthCountryBoy

I’ll check with the Edinburgh store.

BadlyWiredDog

Montane has a warmer Primaloft bag than than the super-minimalist OMM one: Prism

Also Mountain Equipment does a range which uses Primaloft in the base and hydrophobic down elsewhere.

And PHD does something similar.

All decent.

stooo
    Free Member

BadlyWiredDog
    Liking the look of this mountain equipment hybrid down/primaloft bag. Best of both worlds with the hydrophobic down.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘sleepjng bag for bivi… primaloft vs buffalo? light and damp-proof. Recommendat’ is closed to new replies.