Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Sleeping mats
  • CountZero

As it sez on the lid, basically.
    I’ll be camping at the IOWA Festival next year, and I’ll be dumping the car in Portsmouth and getting the hover over, so I’ll be dragging my tent, sleeping bag and other odds and ends on a trolley. I’ve got one of those big cheap inflatable mattresses, but that’s hopelessly impractical, so my increasingly elderly frame dictates I need something comfy to lie on, that’s easy to fold up small.
    I’ve looked at two, this one: http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/therm-a-rest-neoair-venture-sleeping-mat-p292551
    and this one: http://www.blacks.co.uk/equipment/113121-vango-trek-self-inflating-mat-standard-red.html/549682
    Now, one’s twice the price of the other, there’s a noticeable difference in thickness, too, but would paying double for the Therm-a-rest be worth while?
    Or are there other, similar options with comparable comfort?

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

I used one of those self inflating sleeping mats once, bloody rubbish, I ended up giving up with it at 5am and sitting at a picnic bench and sleeping there instead. In fact that was the day I vowed never to go camping again.
    Anything 3cm thick is going to be uncomfortable in my opinion.
    I would take a proper inflatable mattress and put up with the effort of lugging it there.

matt_outandabout

For a summer camp with short walk in, no.
    For carrying round hills and using in more varied weather in a regular basis, maybe.
    I have used karrimats and prope thermarest or cheap versions from decathlon for 20 years. I don’t feel the need to upgrade, or lash that much cash just yet.

keefmac

i’ve got the vango one, its just as good as a thermarest. they are to insulate you from the ground to stop losing heat that way, they wont be that comfortable if your after a bed replacement.if thats what you are after then take the air bed thing instead or get a cheap lilo 🙂

daftvader
    Free Member

ive got one of these for longer trips… not the lightest, but cheep and comfy outwell mat

Cougar

I’d go with the NeoAir. I’ve had cheaper ones but ended up replacing them as they’d worn out. My NeoAir is better than the Alpkit Fat Airic it replaced despite being a quarter of the thickness. It’s also the size of a can of beans rolled up and weighs about the same as a butterfly’s fart, as opposed to the Airic which weighed a lot and was the size of an overstuffed pillow when compressed. Though, the NeoAir was twice the price (and I have the Xlite, not that one).

As a one-off either will be fine, and infinitely better than an airbed. If it’s something you’re going to use semi-regularly, so have to carry where bulk / weight might be a concern, it’s worth paying the extra IMHO.

grantway
    Free Member

This is all you need Multimat 25 superlight £ 44.95 and put in MAGIC10 and get a further 10% of the price. This is a great self inflating mat and rated at R 3.9 and weighs in at 500grams with the supplied puncture kit
    Simply a no brainer and given us plenty of service.

CountZero

The air mattress is a no-go, it’s huge, heavy, and needs a big footpump to inflate it. The last time I used it, it was June and chuffing cold, and the mattress was chuffing cold as well.
    Hopefully, the IOW will be significantly warmer than Maiden Bradley, I just want something a bit thicker than one of those centimetre thick orange foam things, and that packs down nice and small. My tent is a fairly large thre-person, along with my bag, and personal odds-and ends for three or four days, minimal bulk would be preferable.
    Thanks Cougar, that’s a big help. Grantway, your link is broken, it only shows ‘http’.

jools182
    Free Member

I used an airbed a few years ago and froze

They’re rubbish at insulation

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Short carry, car camping etc just go for a decent self-inflator. 5-7cm is luxurious enough as long as you top it off with a few puffs of air before sealing.

Last ones I bought (2014) were intended for base camping to replace a well worn and now punctured Vango DLX. they are bulky to carry but no probs short distance. We push them together for a double and we both agreed we get a better night’s kip than on our Sealy sprung bed mattress at home. Couldn’t be happier (ok if they were 1/4 of the size packed, and 1/10th the weight, made of chocolate and pissed moonshine)

Lasted all summer very nicely hope to use for years to come. Come with repair kit obviously.

Here

Cougar

Grantway, your link is broken

FTFY.

the mattress was chuffing cold as well.

Yeah, that’s the big advantage with ‘self-inflating’ mats, insulation. Airbeds are like sleeping on ice when it’s cold.

CountZero

Cheers, Cougar, it was like sleeping on ice, I had several large blankets that I carry in the car for putting over bikes, etc., as well as most of my clothes on inside my sleeping bag, (which was a lightweight bag), because it was so bloody cold at night, and this was June!
    Those SIM’s Malvern Rider linked to might be just the ticket, the 5cm would be fine, I think, and the price is ok. I’ll be getting a fold-up trolley so it doesn’t matter if things are reasonable in size, just not too huge, like the inflatable.
    Thanks chaps, I really appreciate the input, there’s nothing like some proper real-world use.
    Cheers! 😀

Cougar

On a slight tangent but, never has the mantra “buy cheap, buy twice” been truer than in the world of camping. You really don’t want to have gear issues in the middle of the night when you’re miles away from civilisation. I’ve lost count of the amount of gear I’ve had to replace because I was trying to save a few pennies and ended up spending more in the long run.

I’d be wary of brands I’d never heard of; if budget was a big issue I’d almost certainly be going for the Vango over that Grand Canyon one. It’ll probably be fine but you’re in for a miserable time if it isn’t.

somafunk

If you want to retain as much body heat as possible then I can recommend this heat reflective blanket, it’ll upgrade your sleeping system by a few degrees which can make the difference between a good nights sleep and a shivering frozen longing for dawn.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Cougar I’d agree with you re BCBT (it’s a household motto!) but I wouldn’t honestly recommend unless long-term tested and checked over. The quality is easily on par ) with the the Vango Adventure DLX (both at 75 denier, in fact the grand canyon feels slightly better quality fabric, plus the valves (two on this, one on the Vango) are sturdier/seemingly not so vulnerable in the spot where the Vango failed (repeated seam creasing around the seam near valve led to eventual perforation that couldn’t be usefully patched)

By all means go for the Vango equivalent, and for similar price, I was happy with the Vango for three years, and used it for a whole 2 years every day before it developed a leak) but be sure I’m a fussy old git when it comes to this stuff, and am very happy so far with the Grand Canyon Cruise mat re quality*. The sack and repair kit is superior also.

*Usual disclaimers apply 😉

Cougar

Sure. Cheerfully withdrawn, then. Point was simply that for me at least it was an unknown and I’d rather not find out the hard way. Which OFC is why the question was asked I expect, personal recommendation is king.

Sorry, I’ve just realised my response might’ve been a bit rude, I didn’t mean to be dismissive.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

No worries Cougar, I’d say the same, no rudeness detected, cheers.

Cougar

Good good. (-:

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

just not too huge, like the inflatable

Count Zero, I’d check the packed size of any SIM, mine (7.5cm, extra wide) packs way bigger and heavier than a cheap single air mattress. Albeit in a big roll.

grantway
    Free Member

Thanks Cougar, that’s a big help. Grantway, your link is broken, it only shows ‘http’.

The mat packs down to 26cm * 10cm Winter R 3.9 value too
    This link should be ok
    Multimat 25 superlight

LadyGresley
    Free Member

I have been using a Vaude Norssken, which is not bad, but just treated myself to an Exped Synmat in the long/wide flavour, as I found the Norssken a little narrow. They pack up very small, and they are both nice and thick, so for an old woman like me, fairly comfortable. I cannot sleep on the thin ones!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Sleeping mats’ is closed to new replies.