Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Sleeping mats
  • nickswolves
    Free Member

I’m looking for some advice on sleeping mats. I’ve been using an air bed the last couple of years but want something a bit more compact for camping and the odd bivi session. Want something comfortable, full length and relatively compact (doesn’t need to fit in a baked bean can!) what do you use/recommend?

RustySpanner

The Vango ones are good quality and stupidly good value.
    Last well too.
    Not used any others for ages.

nickswolves
    Free Member

Are the alpkit ones any good?

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

go alpkit, very good and fairly cheap

simondbarnes

Alpkit Fat Airic here. Very comfy. Probably larger than you’re after, sure their smaller ones will be pretty good as well.

steelfan
    Free Member

Exped Down Mat or Synmat. I have both and they are super comfortable and warm. Both have a built in inflation pumps that you use by hand and it only takes a couple of mins or so. Not cheap but certainly the most comfortable and warmest I have come across and still just at compact as a thermarest type.

MSP

Thermarest neoair, fantastic mats, not seen anything else that packs down as small or as light. The material they are made from reflects heat back at you, surprisingly effective, I wasn#t sure if it would work before I got one.

Downside to them is I find them a little slippery.

mrdestructo

They’re a nice idea, but every single one I’ve owned has punctured, or suffered valve issues. From cheap ones to expensive ones. I’m back to a foam mat for long term trips and suffering the pain, but at least I know it won’t get any worse by suffering deflation. For short and dirty festival style trips, I buy cheap air beds and bring a needle, thread and hardware sealant tube to repair it when it can’t take the abuse 🙂

rudedog
    Free Member

From what I’ve read, these are pretty much identical to the Multimat adventure mats and are likely manufactured in the same factory.

http://www.fieldandtrek.com/karrimor-x-lite-mattress-782042?src=google

£28 for a sub 500g full length mat seems pretty good

nedrapier

Anyone else wondering whether they should be taking durability advice from a “Mr Destructo”? 🙂

stratman
    Free Member

had a thermarest for donkeys years – still use it occasionally if my back is grumbling and I need to sleep on the floor!

mrdestructo

Anyone else wondering whether they should be taking durability advice from a “Mr Destructo”?

I break things so you don’t have to 🙂

nickswolves
    Free Member

I’d like to try and keep the budget under £50. These were 2 that caught my eye….

Alpkit Base 180 £30
    http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16532&category_id=289

Alpkit Dirtbag £40
    http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16533&category_id=289

The Base 180 packs down smaller but doesn’t look that thick, anyone able to comment on comfort on these?

Dirtbag looks nice and thick but would be more of a challenge fitting in a pack hmm!

stevious

Alpkit mats are great (I have one for car camping), but if you get a Thermarest (of whatever flavour) thay have a LIFETIME warranty. I delaminated my old one, sent it back and recieved a new (ligher) one no questions asked.

johnnystorm

Still using my Thermarest I bought in 1997. I’d probably buy an Alpkit if buying again as their other stuff has been great and they are much cheaper.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

My Vango one barely lasted a couple of weeks before leaking. I bought an Exped Synmat for the TransAm and it was brilliant. A bit bulkier than a Thermarest Neoair but a lot quieter to sleep on. I liked the self inflation pump too.

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

i have an alpkit “airo” (i think?) and dirtbag, airo is the same thickness as the base so probably similar – it’s very much a lightweight does-the-job-but-not-much-more option, hence me buying the fatter one which i use when near a car etc.

fat one is fairly big when packed down, thin one is fairly uncomfortable!

i wouldn’t carry the fat one on a bike, but i don’t like to carry much at all.

nickswolves
    Free Member

JeffcapesHop – would you say the dirtbag mat is comfortable to sleep on?

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

well.. yeah i suppose so! i mean it’s a mat in a tent, it’s never going to be the greatest sleep, but it’s not bad at all. i was pleased when i tried it, put it that way.

pinkwafer

Same as stevious. My Thermarest delaminated after ten years or so when I left it outside fully inflated in very hot sun. I sent it back and I too got sent a newer prolite model with no questions.

nickswolves
    Free Member

Seems like the Dirtbag is the better option of the 2, just concerned a little that its not ideal size for carrying in a backpack but guess you can’t have everything! Decisions decisions 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

You’re always going to be caught between weight/volume and comfort. Of course, it doesn’t help that the lighter stuff also tends to be the most expensive 🙂

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Sleeping mats’ is closed to new replies.