Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Sleeping in my car in Norway in winter . Will I die?
  • wrecker
    Free Member

On your own? How are you going to stagger the candle watch?
    It depends on where in Norway you are looking at. -40deg? Nope. You’ll want an arctic bag, thermarest and Tent

winch
    Free Member

Are you this man?

If not, yes you will die.

Gunz
    Free Member

I did a naval exercise in a Norwegian Winter a few years ago. I’ve done plenty of climbing in atrocious weather in Scotland and this was in a different league. -40 including wind chill and the only environment where it’s really struck me that without the proper equipment and training you would be in serious trouble.
    As a fellow skin flint I’m no stranger to sleeping in cars but there is absolutely no way I’d do it in Norway.

jota180
    Free Member
    sandwicheater

Go for it. Can I have your bike if for some reason you never return?

Oh hold on, what colour is your bike? Is it red? I hope it’s red. Never mind, I can get it repainted if it’s not.

righog
    Free Member

These boys did it ( sort of)

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb_YFd2GzhM[/video]

Banff Film festival winner 2013

BoardinBob

It didn’t do Roxette any harm

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies. It’s interesting that a fair few think it would be fine with lots of layers and so on, whereas most think it’s foolhardy including a dude from the Navy who is clearly tougher than me.

Is a tent a valid option then? I’d be really up for that. I’d be like the English madman who drives up from Sweden and camps. Haha! I like the idea of on a Friday after work seeing that there has been lots of snow and the weather looks good for the weekend and just driving up, no booking of hotels etc.

In terms of drying stuff there are places to leave boots and so on and there are showers at the base of one of the gondolas.

Thanks!

brack
    Free Member

If you pull it off and party hard – getting to know loads of the locals/ visitors ….then yes you’ll be the cool Englishman.

If you are doing it to tick a box, spend a miserable few days and even less on the slopes because you are wet and cold, and don’t mingle because you have believed your own hype more than reality…then no one will care less, and you’ll just return home feeling like a sad loner.

I’ve done both

lorax

The locker room at the gondola base station in Hafjell has showers and loos (and gently heated lockers for your gear to dry out in), but it would be pretty duff to kip in the car park. It may not get as cold as you fear – we go in Feb half term most years and have had a range in town from about -15 or colder some years to hovering around 0 this year. It’s only about a 20 minute drive from Lillehammer, and there’s definitely at least one cheap place to stay there, but I can’t remember what it’s called.

There are bound to be DNT hunts around but they’ll be up in the mountains. Great for long distance cross-country tours, but rubbish for snowboarding 🙂

I’d suggest bringing your own booze (even Sweden is much cheaper than Norway) and using the savings to pay for the hostel in Lillehammer. You’d spend more on the down sleeping bag to keep you alive than you would on the hostel…

Gunz
    Free Member

including a dude from the Navy who is clearly tougher than me.

I’m afraid not, my cabin was heated.

joefm

slightly insulated van you could get away with it. But then my mate used to sleep in his in the alps and his water bottle would freeze.

Trouble is cars have a lot of windows and you would need some silver screens and other stuff.

Personally, I’d rather cripple myself financially then sleep in the cold. Hate it. Wake up far too often.

alpin
    Free Member

you won’t die… i’ve slept in a car mid winter (ok, an Essex winter, but there was a light dusting of snow on the ground in the morning), but i was 17 and drunk. never repeated it after that.

i’d be more concerned about drying my kit after a day on the slopes. and what motor is it? Volvo estate or Ford Ka?

nedrapier

snow camping is pretty fun – much easier if you’ve got somewhere to dry boots, shower and poo. and a bar to hang out in till you want go to bed – actually, it’s just occured to me that that aspect might turn it into quite an expensive option.

You’re off the slopes, at 5 ?), what are you going to do until you want to go to sleep? You might not want to go and sit in your tent, and the bar’s just there…

At least you shouldn’t be seeing these kinds of tracks in the morning:

more tips on snow camping, some relevant to you, some not: http://splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9278&sid=e0a33b3daa3e6036fb23bee430ab2e5f Lots in there about boot drying, but skip to page 3 for some tips on snow camping in general.

Also think about where you’re going to your charge phone, camera batteries. Amd take some audio books/podcasts etc – reading books/kindles means having your shoulders, arms and hands out of the sleeping bag: you’ll lose heat, and turning pages is tricky wearing mittens!

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Sleeping in my car in Norway in winter . Will I die?’ is closed to new replies.