Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Sleeping bags
  • mikey74
    Free Member

With a few events happening this year, I really need a new sleeping bag.

Any recommendations, or suggestions on what to look out for?

I really need something that can be used all year round, and will be fine to use in the middle of summer in Canada.

Thanks folks.

hitman
    Free Member

Try PHD if you’re after something lightweight

mikey74
    Free Member

Just looked at PHD and perhaps I should have said that it needs to be as cheap as possible: Preferably <£50

coffeeking
    Free Member

For <50 you won’t find something you can use in winter unless you’re wearing 3 other layers of clothes and in a warm tent on a £100 down mat.

mikey74
    Free Member

well how much do you need to spend then?

andygreener

Get a silk liner to warm it up a bit or use by itself if it’s warmer.

matt_outandabout

£40 bought our centre some Mountain Equipment synthetic bags, rated down to -5. Used them around freezing and it was ok.

Keep hunting around, but likely that you will end up with a warmer bag and wearing more clothes (as most of us do outdoors at night).

ton

quechua……….from decathlon
    loads of choice and differant weights, cheap too.

househusband

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/what-sleeping-bag

Might be worth looking through this old thread.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I have a lightweight down bag (ME Dewline) for general use and use a lightweight down duvet jacket (ME Dewline) with it for camping in the winter and climbing in the alps. I also wear thin baselayers and a little beanie hat to keep the bag clean (can’t stand liners).
    Quality on a budget, I’d probably look at Alpkit.

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

get your self to the local surplus store see if you can get a issued doss bag. if its too warm get a jungle bag also!!

works for me

molgrips
    Free Member

Just look for the warmth ratings and the weight. Nothing more to it really – all brands are the same since they use the same fabrics and filling, more or less.

nickname
    Free Member

Is pack size important to you? (i.e. you shoving it in a rucksack or car camping?).

I’ve got a Snugpak Softie Chrysalis Autumn which is used all year round. It’s small, light-ish, warm, fairly cheap.

The silk liner is probably the best option if you want to use it all year around (i.e. 2-3 season bags are probably what you want, then use the liner + extra clothing in winter).

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Sleeping bags’ is closed to new replies.