Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Sleeping bag recommendations please!
  • RestlessNative
    Free Member

Had a test bivy on Saturday night in preparation for the Welsh Ride Thing and almost froze to death, well not quite but I didn’t really sleep no matter how much rum I drank. It was below freezing as there was frost on the inside of my tarp.

So can you get a really warm sleeping bag, lightish that packs down small? Must be synthetic which I am guessing is the problem with the pack size.

I used one of these on Saturday which was useless –

http://www.sleepingbagshop.co.uk/gelert-x-treme-lite-800.html

I also have one of these which is much warmer but pack size is getting quite a bit bigger, though if I find nothing better then that will have to go to Wales with me –

http://www.sleepingbagshop.co.uk/gelert-sleeping-bags/x-treme-lite-1200-r.html

druidh
    Free Member

Temperature Advice
    This Gelert X-Treme Lite 800 has been tested to EN13537 specifications for assured temperature guidance. This sleeping bag is 2 season and is therefore best suited for use throughout the UK Summer months as well as on warmer nights in the months either side of it and for indoor use.

Temperature Range: (Lower Limit) -0.9°C (Comfort Rating)+5.8 °C

That’ll be why you were cold 🙂

In the warmth/weight war, down bags will always win. However, (as you are probably aware) they are not ideal for bivvying as they lose all insulation when wet. Plus – they end to be more expensive and some folk can be allergic to them.

Like most other things, the more you are willing to pay, the less of a compromise you will have to make. If you are expecting to get a very warm, very small sleeping bag for £40, you are going to have to re-set your expectations 🙂

RestlessNative
    Free Member

Yeah it was a bit optimistic. I did have 2 thermal base layers and a Patagonia nano puff jacket too which I thought I might get away with.

If I can’t find anything better I’ll have to take the 1200 gelert I have which they rate to -5.4 so should just be ok for May in Scotland 😉

I’m vegan so down bags are out of the running anyway.

druidh
    Free Member

FWIW, I was camping on Saturday night (i.e. in a small tent) and using a MH Lamina 35. It was well cosy with just a thin baselayer top on. Go Outdoors are clearing them out for £80 at the moment.

Have you considered using a silk liner? It can add a couple of degrees to teh comfort rating and will also help keep the inside of the bag clean (so – less washing, lasts longer, protects your investment…..)

plumber
    Free Member

Snug pack softie 9 good to minus 7 or so in comfort

Pack isn’t tiny but I’d rather be warm

RestlessNative
    Free Member

Have you considered using a silk liner?

not vegan either I’m afraid

ElShalimo

RestlessNative – Member

Try Meraklon, fleece or micro fibre sleeping bag liners or even cotton

cynic-al
    Free Member

Interesting druidh, your Lamina is comfort rated to 5 degrees, 0.8 lower than the OP’s, and it must have been zero in the Pentlands?

chiefinspector
    Free Member

Anything from RAB. They tend to be a bit more expensive but their quality is excellent.

druidh
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member
    Interesting druidh, your Lamina is comfort rated to 5 degrees, 0.8 lower than the OP’s, and it must have been zero in the Pentlands?

We ended up on the coast. I reckon it was never less than 3 degrees outside, but wind chill can knock that down quite bit and I was in a tent rather than a bivvy/tarp.

If the downside of a bivvy bag is that you need a warmer/bulkier sleeping bag and you are still taking a tarp, I’d say that was yet another reason to favour a small tent.

Of course, we all have different definitions of “comfort”. I sleep warm.

RestlessNative
    Free Member

“Anything from RAB”

they only make 3 synthetic bags as far as I can see, the Genesis ones which are heavier than the gelert 1200 I stupidly left at home for the the comfort rating

Northwind

Snugpak Softie with the right numbers on it… Very pleased with my Extreme Traveller (I think it’s called), stupid nonremovable scratchy mosquito net needed cut out but otherwise it’s good, and more importantly cheap 😉 Not sure it’ll quite deliver on its claimed comfort rating mind but not far off it.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Sleeping bag recommendations please!’ is closed to new replies.