Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Sleeping bag for under £100? What would you recommend?
  • jmatlock
    Free Member

Good afternoon forum,

Im looking to do a bit of touring/bikepacking.

I would like a sleepping bag thats fairly small and light, doesn’t need to be super warm.

Am I asking the impossible for £100?

How small it packs down is fairly important.

Im clueless really so all advice welcome.

weeksy

You can buy sleeping bags for £100 ?

I thought they were a tenner in Tescos ?

richen987
    Free Member

did a fair amount of research when looking for a good value bag for camping and bikepacking.
    I went for a Robens Caucasus 300, comes in its own dry-bag, is a down bag (duck down) rather than synthetic, 2/3 seasons with a good lower temp limit, have been out and about with it and it’s plenty warm enough, packs small and is lightish approx 1kg.
    Also has separate face and neck baffles with seperate drawcords.
    I paid £85 for it from some random shop I found on the internet, quick Google shows here for £100, am sure if you hunted it down like I did you could get it cheaper.
    http://www.climbers-shop.com/10899217/products/robens_caucasus_300_sleeping_bag.aspx

chambord
    Free Member

You can buy sleeping bags for £100 ?

I thought they were a tenner in Tescos ?

This applies to all things. Unfortunately since the internet I’ve found myself reading reviews/forums and buying more expensive things before I even know what I want from them.

I’m also in the market for a sleeping bag, but more in the £0-£30 scale. Going to go outdoors later to find one which is in this price range and is the best colour.

jmatlock
    Free Member

Rich,

That looks great. Packs really nice and small.

My upper limit is £100 but I would happily spend less.

I just dont want to buy a cheap one then an expensive one.

binners

Have a look at Decathalon. A massive selection for well under your budget. I got one for bivvying that is toasty, and packs down really small. Edit: one of these

jmatlock
    Free Member

Binners,

I was confused at their choices!

What one did you go for?

gringo

I’ve got a Mountain Hardwear Lamina 35, was about £110 and weighs about 1kg. It packs down pretty small. I bought mine for lightweight camping trips so it should be ideal for you too.

binners

Those models all pack down to the same really small size. You just ned to pick the one thats the right temperature you’ll be sleeping in. I’d warn you though. I got the lightweight summer one (15) and they’re a damn sight warmer than they have any right to be

jmatlock
    Free Member

Binners,

Is yours a Decathlon own branded one?

Like this one?

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/15-light-hiking-sleeping-bag-right-blue-id_8242014.html

binners

Thats the one, yeah. Like I said, they’re warmer than you think, so just be careful with the recommended temp. They’re on the conservative side

composite
    Free Member

I use a Vango Venom 300 all year round for bike packing duties. In the winter I use an insulated mat and a fleece liner, it’s be fine down to -3/-4. In summer I unzip it and don’t wear much and use a non insulated mat and it normally doesn’t get to hot.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

I’ve got one of these

http://www.snugpak.com/outdoor/sleeping-bags/softie-3-merlin-sleeping-bag

Slightly over your budget, but well made, (and made in the UK) packs down small, and weights very little.

I’m 6’1″, and it fits fine as well. Worth a look.

richen987
    Free Member

No worries, have been through a couple of cheaper Vango bags and whilst they do the job they are heavy and not as well made,
    The Decathlon bags look good as well, If I was on a budget I would buy one of those and spend more on a good sleeping mat – you will lose more heat to the ground than to the air, so a good sleeping mat will boost the warmth of your bag.
    Depends on weather or not you will be doing a lot of camping around all year or just in summer.
    Buy the kit that fits your needs, generally buy cheap, buy twice rule applies with ‘most’ camping equipment.

dragon
    Free Member

I’ve got one of these Mountain Hardwear Lamina 35 also, not tried it out in anger yet though.

bigjim

I have a lamina 35 and was bloody freezing a couple of weeks ago in yorkshire, but the snoring girl next to me in a snugpak chrysalis 2 was toasty and warm, for much less money and just slightly bigger pack size.

smurfly13
    Free Member

Another plus for the Snugpak Softie range. I too have the Merlin Softie 3. Only paid £89 from nightgear

jambalaya
    Free Member

I have a mountain hardware bag (£85 at the time but that was 5+ years ago). What I’d say is it’s worth spending the money, originally I was talked into cheap bags (£35) and frankly they where rubbish and I was perpetually cold even sleeping in thermals in the uk summer. Get a 2/3 season one especially if you are going to be bivvying.

jmatlock
    Free Member

I also have no idea about ground/sleeping mats.

What should I be looking for?

rene59
    Free Member

+1 Snugpak Merlin Softie 3

jmatlock
    Free Member

DP sorry!

jmatlock
    Free Member

Is the Merlin Softie 3 ok for spring/autumn?

singletrackstinker
    Free Member

Another vote for the lamina. I’ve got a mountain equipment starlight too. Both amazing bags.

Go for synthetic over down. They’re easier to look after and will stay warm even if you get them wet.

rene59
    Free Member

Is the Merlin Softie 3 ok for spring/autumn?

Depends on conditions and how hot you sleep. I’ve used one in Scotland late spring and early autumn for several years.

hora
    Free Member

Get a decent reflective mat

johnnystorm

Go for down over synthetic, it’ll last longer, weigh less and pack smaller for a given warmth. No sleeping bag is much fun if wet and dry bags are cheap from Alpkit so damp isn’t a reason to ingore them. I always sleep in a liner and wash that rather than the bag. Silk one from decathlon weighs 100g and is miniscule when packed. Get a mat with insulation like an Exped syn/downmat or a Thermarest Xtherm.

Also have a look at quilts/backless bags. The bag filling you lay on doesn’t do much so its down to the mat. If you aren’t pulling the hood tight it’s doing nothing so wearing a hat is more use.

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

Snugpak make some good ones but when I did a tour I bought a Berghaus Flare 700 and it was awesome. Tiny pack size and weighs, you guessed it…700g. Smallest bag I have seen and is a few years old and still good as new. I think I paid £50ish from Blacks in sale, just had a look and saw it in one place on ‘tinternet for £55.

For a mat I have a Thermarest Prolite 3, again pretty old now and still going strong, extremely comfy.

AlasdairMc

I’ve used a Lamina 35 at eight below freezing, and didn’t die. It was a bit chilly at the toes though. They’re great to about freezing though, light and not bulky.

cookeaa

I would like a sleepping bag thats fairly small and light, doesn’t need to be super warm.

Am I asking the impossible for £100?…

…Im clueless really…

You are in luck my friend!

Compact, lightweight, not “super warm” I will sell you one of my “artisanal, hand woven from natural fibres, sleep systems” for just £99.97…

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Sleeping bag for under £100? What would you recommend?’ is closed to new replies.