Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Sleeping bag for bilepacking on a budget
  • flyingmonkeycorps

I need a new sleeping bag. I currently have a three season Marmot which is lovely but I got to use it once last year as it’s the only decent one in the house and it seems that everyone else’s warmth is more important than mine. The only problem with it is that it’s pretty big and heavy – fine for car camping, not so great for bivying.

So I’m after something a bit more lightweight for bike trips. Realistically this will mostly be in the warmer months (and I did get to use the good bag when bothying in March in the Lakes) so it probably doesn’t need to be as warm.

So – any recommendations for a decently warm, reasonably lightweight bag that won’t break the bank? It’ll only get used a few times a year so the closer to £50 or so the better…

sharkbait
    Free Member

Bilepacking? Sounds like I’d be wanting a drysuit for that job!

flyingmonkeycorps

Bilepacking is how I feel when it inevitably rains…

Cheers scotroutes, that looks perfect.

whitestone
    Free Member

Going to be synthetic for that sort of money and that comes with both weight and bulk. But … a quick search on the same site as Colin’s linked to is this down bag but bizarrely it’s as heavy as the Lamina synthetic bag.

It does depend on how warm you sleep – I can typically get away with 2-3C lower than the Limit rating. I’d go with a better summer bag and if you need to use it in the cooler months then get a really cheap bag to act as an outer. You’ll have bulkier kit anyway in winter. I’ve a sleeping bag rated to 5C and a quilt rated to 4C, together they are fine to at least -6C, they weigh about 100g more than the equivalent rated -5/-6C sleeping bag. Together they weigh less than 2/3rds of the two bags linked to. The problem? They cost £300 8O, I do use them a lot though as a result the per night cost is under £3

Top tip: if you want to get the most of any bag then get a good quality sleeping mat such as those from Exped and Thermarest.

flyingmonkeycorps

Already have a thermarest, and totally agree (though on warmer nights I take a foam mat just cos it’s lighter).

rene59
    Free Member

I would normally suggest something from Snugpak but not within your budget. That one Scotroutes linked to is a good deal for a great bag.

flyingmonkeycorps

We actually have an old Snugpak from Mrs Monkey’s adventuring days, but it’s been packed up too long and has lost all of it’s floof.

flyingmonkeycorps

Just got the next model up (Lamina 20) from Blacks as there’s 15% off for new customers with code newsu

13thfloormonk

Just be aware, if it matters to you, that Mountain Hardwear’s stated weights are extremely optimistic, I bought a Lamina Spark specifically to save some weight over my existing set up. Turned out to be a good 150g heavier than stated.

More fool me 🙄

flyingmonkeycorps

I kinda assumed they would be! My Marmot is (stated) almost 450g heavier so I should save a little bit.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Sleeping bag for bilepacking on a budget’ is closed to new replies.