• This topic has 26 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by nixie.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Sleek, rigid and bigger wheeled?
  • nixie

Think of selling my 26″ simple and replacing it with something larger wheeled in a larger size (simple is medium and really a bit small for me at 6’2″), either 650b+ or 29″. I’m struggling to find any nice frames to base it on;

Looking for;
    [list]
    [*]Steel[/*]
    [*]Rigid forks[/*]
    [*]at least 30.9 seat post (ideally 31.6 so I can share a reverb between bikes)[/*]
    [*]Swappable drops outs or alfine compatible (without tensioner)[/*]
    [*]Rigid forks[/*]
    [/list]

Main usage is going to child towing, family rides, winter usage and bimbling around when I don’t want to take the full sus out.

I did see a niner sir9 for sale yesterday which looked nice, but that has needs a 27.2 post. A Solaris fits the bill though I’ve had 3 cotics now so fancy something different. Maybe a Genesis IO ID (as a full bike, again I had a 26″ one in the past).

dovebiker

Stooge? (Only comes with 27.2 post size though)

cokie

Yeah, I think you’ll struggled to find a frame that hits every point. There’ll be a compromise somewhere. I would say Stooge too.

core

At least you can use a 27.2mm post with a shim in another bike.

raisinhat
    Free Member

Genesis longitude hits all of those, though possibly not the sleekest looking bike in the world.

nedrapier

Bit of a wildcard: Singular Puffin? same 27.2 problem, but all the wheelsizes you could want. 26×4″/4.8″, 27.5×3, 29, 29+. Guessing Trek’s new 27.5×4″ size would fit too, if 29+ does.

EBB for yer tensioning duties, so you’ve got a bit of choice on low/high BB tensioning point for SS and IHG, and more choice on low/high back/front if you’re running a derailleur.

Love how my Mk1 Puffin handles.

NormalMan

I’d thought Swift but the seat post size again comes in to play.

molgrips
    Free Member

MY BIKE

El Mar – except it’s 27.2 too. I don’t think you’ll find a steel ht in 30.9 tbh.

When choosing, check head angles. Many are now slack, but I wanted a steep one. You may too, depending on what kind of riding you want it for.

nixie

At least you can use a 27.2mm post with a shim in another bike.

Yes you can. But there isn’t a great choice of reliable 27.2 droppers (and I already have a reverb).

The Genesis longitude looks good. Definitely not the sleekest steel frame I’ve seen but not too bad considering it has those jack of all trade drop outs.

Stooge looks neat, actually on holiday near CTBM next week and was hoping to pop in and have a look at what he has already.

I’d ruled the El Mar out because of the post. Though as seat post size does seem to be the hardest requirement probably worth another look!

tang
    Free Member

Custom? Shand would sort you out. As would Ted James.

xico
    Free Member

If you can find a Genesis Fortitude Race, that should do it. I found one, had the frame powdercoated and it looks lovely and rides brilliantly – I love it!

Clobber
    Free Member

Swift with a thomson dropper

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve ruled out a dropper on mine though. It’s just not that kind of bike. I drop the seat on my Patriot to go fast and get my weight low on techie bits, but as a rigid bike you just can’t ride the El Mar like that. There’s no point in even trying, imo.

It’s a bike for covering miles, at which it is so much better than the 5 it replaced. I just bloody love it. I just have to remember not to hit rough techie bits fast 🙂

jameso

I drop the seat on my Patriot to go fast and get my weight low on techie bits, but as a rigid bike you just can’t ride the El Mar like that. There’s no point in even trying, imo.

I thought that for a while but if there’s one bike I’d like a dropper on it’s my Jones SS. Rigid bikes need moving about to ride fast so I’ve thought about fitting one despite it being my no-faff bike.

john_l
    Free Member

Using a Thomson dropped on my Jones – it’s ace! Didn’t think it needed it (it doesn’t *need* it), but I’ve found myself using it a lot.

nixie

Custom would be great, other than too pricey.

I like the same out of the way when trying to descend fast. Most of the time I’m sure it’ll will probably have a fixed post attached however since I’ve got a dropper the option to use it would be nice. Thomson if not in the picture though. Friend has had to many issues.

molgrips
    Free Member

Where I live moving around makes no difference to going fast. It’s just too rocky to go fast without suspension.

Then given that it’s rigid and 29er I can lean on the front much more than with suspension, so on slow techy steep I don’t need to get my bum as low.

But then I’m XC old skool so am well uses to riding with it up. When I do drop it I only do so by three inches anyway 🙂

letmetalktomark

Pipedream Skookum ticks all of your initial boxes with a 30.9 seatpost rather than 31.6.

Love mine 🙂

matt_outandabout

Would looking at alloy or carbon allow the seat post size you are seeking?

jfb01
    Free Member

The only frame I can think of that ticks all the boxes inc. seat post is the 2Souls QuarterHorse http://www.2soulscycles.com/.
    Pricey though.

nixie

The 2souls is really nice but a bit pricey.

Not got a carbon budget and I prefer steel to alloy.

Letstalktomark what’s the rear clearance like on the pipedream?

letmetalktomark

There’s oodles of room.

The chain stay is unbraced so there is loads of mud room.

brassneck

Is the Simple going on the classifieds?

takisawa2

SIR.9 & a Thomson dropper.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

usage is going to child towing, family rides, winter usage and bimbling

Genesis Longitude! Seatpost, schmeatpost.

Tried a 2016 one out last week and loved it. I would have myself one if in the market for an adaptable MTB.

jameso

too rocky to go fast without suspension.

Fair enough. A few rocks is ok, a load is beyond a bit more hopping and the like. High-postin’ is is ok with me though, it’ll be like SSing soon.

nixie

Is the Simple going on the classifieds?

Yes probably, though I’d prefer to keep some of the bits so maybe not as a complete bike. Bright orange, size medium, alfine routing (one of the last 26″ simples), alfine 8, exotic forks. Mail is in my profile though if you wanted to get in first.

Malvern Rider, where was that? I think I’d be looking at the frame+fork only option as I want to build the wheels and have components but would be good to try one out. It will take my reverb as well which is a bonus 😀

The more I think about it the more I like the idea of a 650b+ wheel set for starters.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Sleek, rigid and bigger wheeled?’ is closed to new replies.