Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Skye
  • iDave
    Free Member

little known gems on the island please? food, places, things to do?

iDave
    Free Member

apart from the three chimneys…..

j_me
    Free Member

Both good alternatives to the 3 Chimneys, a bit closer too.

Kinloch Lodge

Duisdale House Hotel

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Also interested in this thread – due to visit mid-May after the Caledonian Étape 🙂

iDave
    Free Member

Seems like hardly anyone wants to help us DD – can you believe it!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

can you believe it!

Nope 😉

stevious

If the weather’s good and you’ve got some spare afternoon then have a look for the fairy pools in Glen Brittle. Not usre if they’re specificaly named on the OS map but a bit of googling should reveal their location. A great place to go for a wee swim, and one of the pools has a cool underwater arch to swim through.

A wee wonder arounf the Quiriang is worth it oo.

grum
    Free Member

Sack off the bike at least for a day or two and do some scrambling in the Cuillin.

Take a road bike.

orangina
    Free Member

Classic mountain bike routes ? Sligachan, the Quiraing, and Idrigill Point ?

user-removed
    Free Member

That there Glen Brittle is good riding too, when combined with a pootle in the forest.

Linky thing

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“apart from the three chimneys….. “

We were going to go to the Three Chimneys but all the locals told us not to bother and go here http://www.oldschoolrestaurant.co.uk/ instead. Fantastic food, good atmosphere, bizzare ish place. Just round the corner from 3 Chimneys.

Theres a beautiful beech near by too which was deserted both time we went to it in late June… apart from the cows.

robgarrioch

The south should be starting to lush-up some soon, bit of a contrast ‘twixt south & north…

Duisdale (south)

View from Storr (middle – north, east coast)

Hardly little known, but the walk up to Storr is worth doing, esp on a clear day. Ramasaig’s a pleasant spot for an evening stroll too, if it’s dry 😆 . A few miles past the 3 Chimneys.

Hopefully, you’re there before the midges come out 👿

grum
    Free Member

We were going to go to the Three Chimneys but all the locals told us not to bother and go here http://www.oldschoolrestaurant.co.uk/ instead. Fantastic food, good atmosphere, bizzare ish place. Just round the corner from 3 Chimneys.

I’ve been there too on a couple of visits – very nice.

munkster
    Free Member

We stayed at The Stein Inn (“The Oldest Inn on Skye” apparently) about 8 (god I feel old) years ago and enjoyed the isolation… Took a short drive (presume you can walk if you have the time) up to Trumpan Church (or what’s left of it) further up the peninsula just before sunset; eerie place…

sofaking
    Free Member

the talisker distillery 😆

Kunstler

I’ve not been there but Spar Cave looks to be an interesting excursion. It’s also very close to Elgol which has stunning views of the Cuillin and from there you can take a boat trip over to Loch Coruisk.

Old Man of Storr and the Quiraing are moderate hillwalks and if you’re up that way stop off at Kilt Rock. If it’s windy (when isn’t it windy on Skye?) the cliff-top railings next to the waterfall make some ambient music.

clareymorris

I can’t disagree with the classics mentioned previously and a great chance to show off somw photos from last August!!!!

OOOOh well….fab seafood restaurant in Broadford

http://www.skye-seafood-restaurant.co.uk/

AWESOME scrambling up toward Bruch na Frithe

Old man of Stoer is WELL worth a visit..

as is the Quirang…lots of explring to do there!

Bike routes.

Classic Sligachan out and back route……

Talisker Bay from Glen Brittle

One of my absolute most fave holidays ever – the weaather helped mind you!!!!!! Give us a shout for route info if you need to.

duckman

There is a veggie food place in Portree just up from the harbour that is amazing as well,I forget the name…Only let down is how hard it is to get Isle of Skye beer on Skye.And visit Storr,enjoy.

bedmaker

My granny in law’s B +B across the bay from portree. She’s had her hip done recently so I’m not sure if she’s taking guests this summer.
    I’ll ask her if you want.

geoffj

Cutting to the chase. It’s this one

andywp

I can second the Glen Brittle pools (Fairy Pools I think they were referred to), Glen Brittle forest for some pedalling, and the Old Man of Storr, which we walked up (although we did see some folk attempting it on bike). Some pics…

We did a spot of camping, both at the campsite at the edge of Loch Brittle, some wild camping, and stayed at the Marsco B&B, near the Talisker distillery. Can highly recommend the B&B!

Oh yeah, we went early June in 2009, and were very lucky with the weather!

clowner
    Free Member

Details of the route in Glen Brittle would be appreciated

viv
    Free Member

cafe ariba in portree is nice, not for an evening meal but great for lunch, they do a good chilli there

the old school house is great, been there maybe 20-30 times and never disappointed.

The sligahan hotel is ok for food, just ok, but it’s nice to dive in there for a pint and a meal after being out all day

druidh
    Free Member

Coral beach at NG224543 is worth a stroll.

Even if you’re not a “big” hillwalking person, take a stroll from the Glen Brittle campsite up into Coir a’ Ghrunnda to see some fabulous rock-forms and do a wee bit of easy scrambling.

Chill out in Portree on a Friday/Saturday night for one of the best pub-crawls around.

If you’re there at the time of an Old firm match, head down to the blue-painted pub at the harbour, but remember to wear green 🙂

Prince of India in Portree does great food, including venison curries.

And yeah – take a road bike.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Skye’ is closed to new replies.