Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Skydiving…..anyone done it?
  • mrh86

Any one here been sky diving? What did you think of it all?

Cheers

Martyn

allthegear
    Free Member

It's fabulous – huge buzz as you leave the aircraft that lasts for days…

I did it for a second time in April. To be honest, on a pounds per minute basis, it is not the cheapest thing in the World to do on a weekend but it's worth it.

I'm assuming you are talking about a tandem skydive to start with?

Rachel.

mrh86

Yea, Currently in NZ and really like the look of doing one down in queenstown. It's a tandem one from 15000ft. It's just the lingering thought of "what if…."

david_r
    Free Member

Yeah. Did tandem then booked onto the AFF course. Didn't complete the course though due to standard British weather (too windy, too cloudy etc). Go abroad if you're looking to get qualified IMHO. Still would like to go back and complete the AFF but doubt I've got the bottle now 😥

Is it good?….you know the answer to that! Although strangely I found bungie jumping far more terrifying.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

I argee with bungee jumping being more scary (and therefore more of a buzz). I think it's because it's up to you to jump when bungeeing (SP?) In SD the instrutor takes care of throwing the pair of you out of the plane.

It's still very very good and the classic free fall pose is strangely comforting imho.

Oh my mum skydived last year aged 65

Do it !!

allthegear
    Free Member

Martyn – my first jump was just up the road from Queenstown, in a place called Wanaka. Not sure if they are still running (it was ~1991) but having the mountains around was amazing.

Second time was just outside Lowestoft – quite different in terms of view!!

Rachel

GrahamS

Definitely do it. Is it the Lake Taupo one?

That's where MrsGrahamS and I did it. Great fun. We both had a huge smile for days.

I'd done a static line jump before, but it doesn't compare to the proper freefall in a tandem jump.

I'd also recommend the Canyon Swing near Queenstown if you fancy filling your britches twice in one holiday.

mrh86

Not the lake taupo one. This one is right down in queenstown, at the bottom of the south island. The view/scenery down there should be fantastic! Have 5 days down there at the end of my trip and plan on making the most of them!

Dive is booked, just have to try and not let the fear get me before it now!!!

wwaswas

If at first you don't succeed then skydiving's probably not for you.

igmc.

GrahamS

Dive is booked

Nice one!

Do the Canyon Swing too. Oh an zorbing. And hike Franz Josef glacier. And go snowboarding. And riverboarding. And drive a jetboat. And go swimming with wild dolphins off Kiakoura.

Ahh… happy days…

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member

I did an 11,000 ft skydive in 1999. FANTASTIC, I would deffo do it again.. 😆

Your "what if" part. dont worry you won't feel a thing! 😉

brooess
    Free Member

135 jumps here, from 2000-2002.
    Better than great sex! Best sport in the world but too addictive if you've anything else in your life 🙂
    Try and do an AFF jump if you can, rather than tandem. Tandem you're only a passenger so the buzz ain't quite the same. Not knocking it tho'
    I was hooked after my first static line jump and have always said to anyone who's curious, go and do it.
    Still miss it…

sweepy
    Free Member

wwaswas – Member
    If at first you don't succeed then skydiving's probably not for you.

Thats one for the quote thread 🙂

jonb
    Free Member

Did one in Taupo. Worth the money IMO. Didn't bungy jump, know of too many people who've knackered their backs. One guy did his back in the day we were there – he could barely walk afterwards.

My GF did one over Abel Tasman which was more expensive but the view might be better.

postierich
    Free Member

12,000ft from franz josef glacier bit uf a ramshakle out fit but flying and jumping next to Mt Cook was amazing ditto the remarks about bungee jumping far more of a buzz!

Rich

Jerome
    Free Member

Taupo 1999 for me
    Do it.
    In the mounatins would be best, and go as high as you can.
    J.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Yep. Wanaka airport, NZ. 2004. 15k feet. In the video (taken by the guy I was strapped to), when he asks during the float down at the end "What did you think of that?" all I could think of was to look straight at the camera and say:

"FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!!" Loudly.

My advice is, do it. 😀

GrahamS

*shudder*

postierich's pic still makes me bum pucker

I've done 3 bungee jumps, 1 canyon swing, 1 static line and 1 tandem freefall – yet I'm still really nervous at heights and don't even like going up ladders.

crazy-legs

I got bored of it, there's really only so many times you can throw yourself out of a plane and fall earthwards. Plus it's horrendously expensive (wasn't so bad years ago when I was doing it) and a pain in the arse waiting around for the weather to clear. The number of times I sat in a windswept Welsh airfield on a weekend hoping that the wind would drop or the cloud would lift then never actually getting a jump in.

Having said that, the first few jumps were ace although I could never quite get over the lingering feeling that I would bounce off a cloud! Always tensed up heading into puffs of cloud, it was quite a shock to just fall through them.

portlyone

If you don't like heights: Airkix

Kuco

Started to, did the static lines started training for a freefall but to be honest I found it boring and got hell of a lot more buzz out of rock climbing. I imagine the thrill is in freefall but I was getting pissed off sitting waiting ages for a break in the weather and for the price of a jump I could get a full days riding or climbing and enjoy it a lot more.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

windswept Welsh airfield

Clue.

Esme
    Free Member

I agree with crazy-legs . . . it's actually a bit boring, even freefall!

brooess
    Free Member

Freefall does get boring after a while yes. But that's when you start to get involved in formation flying, freeflying and general messing about. Horny Gorilla, Clusterf*ck anyone? And spiralling under canopy/sunset jumps 🙂

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Skydiving…..anyone done it?’ is closed to new replies.