Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • sky rides.
  • muppetWrangler
    Free Member

There is a sky ride coming up locally in the not too distant future. And whilst the route is deffo very short and fairly uninspiring for anybody that normally cycles I do think that the idea of encouraging people that don’t regularly cycle is a good one.

I’m a bit torn on whether to attend. The selfish part of me says that it’ll be a dull as dishwater and I should just go on a regular ride that day but the the more community spirited part of me says that as a cyclist I should lend my support and attend an event aimed at encouraging more local folk to cycle.

Anyone done one of these and what was your experience?

OmarLittle
    Free Member

I’ve been to the Glasgow one and it was a bit shit. Good numbers attending and great to see so many youngsters out on their bikes – the shitness came from the road closures being too small and unimaginative.

Think they are merging it into the pedal for scotland this year. If it had been the same format i’d still have gone and done a couple of laps then gone off on a normal sunday ride

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

Yep, Bath. Twice now. They actually chose a shorter loop this year based on feedback from last year.

It poured with rain though so numbers were well down – still a great event – lots going on as well as the ride.

Like you say, a great way of getting families and ‘non-cyclists’ to get it out from the back of the shed/garage.

thomthumb
    Free Member

i missed the big ‘close the city down ride’ although i have it on good authority that the Southampton one this year is going to be v. interesting.

I’ve been working as a ride leader assistant for the local rides since last year. first one of this year on sunday. they are great for ‘non-cyclist’ types to get out and have a ride. some of the longer ones ‘ride strong’ have quite challenging longer routes.

Sky ride local has opened up loads of new commuting routes and interesting parts of the city to me. one of our route planners is big up on local history so get to see some cool things.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘sky rides.’ is closed to new replies.