Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Sky HD
  • JCornford

You don’t get that much if you have the HD package do you? I didn’t realise when I took it out that it would just be the HD versions of what I already have, I only took out the Entertainment pack and the one with the extreme channel on, I guess I will be cancelling the hd package then.

the-muffin-man

I didn’t realise when I took it out that it would just be the HD versions of what I already have

What were you expecting!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

What were you expecting!

+1

JCornford

At sign up I was lead to believe that I would get everything but films and sport.

poisonspider
    Free Member

I though you could get everyhting but movies and sport?

What can’t you get?

Drac

And what did you get?

DezB
    Free Member

You get the HD sports channels if you sign up to the sports package.
    Otherwise you get Eurosport HD.

I haven’t got the Entertainment Package (so no Sky1, Dave, FX etc), but I do get those channels in HD.
    Go figure, as they say in China.

Sky sent me a personal invite to view an upcoming 3D broadcast.. WOO! I’ll just nip out and buy a NEW TELEVISION then shall I??

molgrips
    Free Member

They only make some stuff in HD at the moment. Is that what’s confusing you?

FuzzyWuzzy

I thought it was just whatever package you currently had + £10 a month for the HD equivalents, seems pretty clear to me (although a bit of a rip-off).

molgrips
    Free Member

The HD channels are not just HD versions of everything you have. For a start, it’s only a few channels and then they often show completely different things. For instance, there’s only one BBC HD channel, and it shows a mix of all sorts of things, repeats mostly – only big stuff is simulcasted.

There are also fewer Sky Sports channels in HD.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

For instance, there’s only one BBC HD channel, and it shows a mix of all sorts of things, repeats mostly – only big stuff is simulcasted.

And you don’t need a subscription for that either.

I honestly don’t see the point of it – I can watch a Bluray and soon forget about how wonderful the resolution is and it is generally better quality than HD broadcast anyway so I think it is just £10 a month wasted.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

There are also fewer Sky Sports channels in HD

You can now get Sky Sports 1,2,3 & 4 plus Sky Sports News.

Gachet
    Free Member

You can now get Sky Sports 1,2,3 & 4 plus Sky Sports News.

I was just about to say that, as I was sure that all of the Sky Sports channels had HD variants as I was setting the Sky+ for the Champions League football on Sky Sports 4 HD this morning.

Eurosport only have 1 HD channel which shows a mix of whats on their 2 conventional channels.

molgrips
    Free Member

My Sky only has Sports 1 2 and 3 in HD I am (was) fairly sure. Could be wrong mind. The HD programme guide has stuff in a weird order.

I honestly don’t see the point of it

It’s great for sports – you can see the players’ faces much better, and see more facial expressions and so on – helps read the game better I think, just a touch.

staralfur
    Free Member

Sky Sports 1,2,3 & 4 are all in HD as is Sky Sports News. The sport i’ve watched with the biggest noticeable between non HD & HD is the American motocross, the qaulity is colossal. Sky gave me a year of it for free, I doubt i’ll keep it on when I have to pay extra.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

It’s great for sports – you can see the players’ faces much better, and see more facial expressions and so on – helps read the game better I think, just a touch.

I did watch a game of footie down at my mum’s on freeview HD a while back and didn’t really appreciate the difference – not saying there isn’t one, I just don’t think it adds enough to justify the additional expense IMO.

molgrips
    Free Member

Depends if you are close enough to a big enough screen.

HD means you can watch a bigger screen closer without it looking crap.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Just sit at a ‘normal’ distance for viewing telly I guess. (Ie, in a room, telly one side, seat the other, beer in hand).

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

molgrips
    SP1 – CH 408, SP2 – CH 409, SP3 – CH 418, SP4 – CH 454, SPN – CH 455

jon1973
    Free Member

Just sit at a ‘normal’ distance for viewing telly I guess

What about all the council house tenants with their small living rooms and 50″ TV’s?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

What about all the council house tenants with their small living rooms and 50″ TV’s?

Err, that ain’t normal? 😉

toby1

I want an OLED flat panel of about 32″ with a HD tuner built in and some features like DLNA too, how long am I going to have to wait till this comes in at under a grand, anyone got a HD 3D crystal ball channel?

EDIT: Oh and I’m delaying buying anything LCD/LED/Plasma till then. Unless my CRT kikcs it that is. 7.9 years going strong so far though

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

But when that comes out the ‘next big thing’ will be just around the corner so you will hold on again – just buy something and enjoy it now.

kimbers

i wouldnt pay a penny to that man
    freeview or freesat hd is great
    sky is for suckers

ps toby i thought exactly the same as you but have just bought a sony lcd and its awesome, 32″ oled under a grand- about 4 years

molgrips
    Free Member

Just sit at a ‘normal’ distance for viewing telly I guess. (Ie, in a room, telly one side, seat the other, beer in hand).

Depends on the size of your telly and the size of your room dunnit.

Choose the telly size to suit your room – my point is that HD would benefit from a bigger telly than SD would.

Cougar

It’s changed relatively recently, like in the last couple of weeks.

I was under the impression that you only got the channels you subscribed to. I got a letter from Sky the other week saying that my subscription was about to change, and from (the middle of this month) I’ll only get the HD versions of my subscriptions rather than the ‘full’ set of HD channels. This came as a surprise as I didn’t realise I was getting any extra in the first place.

Apparently I could ring them to say “don’t do that,” but apethy prevented me from doing so.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Molgrips – I was responding to

Depends if you are close enough to a big enough screen.

HD means you can watch a bigger screen closer without it looking crap.
    But I don’t want to be closer to a bigger screen so I guess that is why I don’t really see the benefit of HD just yet.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Sky HD’ is closed to new replies.