Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Sky broadband – Anyone else having issues?
  • organic355
    Free Member

My sky broadband has been pants since day one. Issue started off with the router being on the same channel as my wireless phones but sorted that.

Now it is just slow and often cannot connect at all. Also the power of the router seems crap and cant seem to get wireless upstairs or in the garden which I could with my BT homehub.

Anyone else had similar problems or think Ive go a dodgy router?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Hmm, interesting. My SKY DSL went live on monday.
    Its synching with the exchange at 10Mbps, but I only get a max of 4Mbps down. I know theres a 10 day learning period, but it hasnt really improved in 5 days. Will wait to thursday and moan at them.
    Theres a significant slow down in speeds (down to 1Mbps) at peak times too, which im not that impressed with either.
    Are you using their D Link DSL2640S router? Personally i think its ok, although it wont have the range of a home hub.

Cougar

Plug it into the master socket, get an ADSL faceplate from adslnation. The microfilters Sky provide are royally crap.

rob
    Free Member

ours took a while to settle down it was really slow or did not work at all for the first week.
    its been fine since, using the standard wireless modem we can get wireless signal at the end of garden about 100 yards away.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Cougar, I’m already running it from the master socket with a different filter on it. Might just have to wait to finish training. It crap this morning, getting about 1meg down.

raccoon
    Free Member

Mine has dropped out a few times recently, was getting 12meg 6 months ago but its now around 6meg.

Too popular for its own good maybe with the sky tv bundles ?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

No problems with ours but I do know they test and retest speeds in the first weeks to get you optimum performance and ours did play up a little at that time. Give it a couple of weeks then complain if you are still having problems. Our router performs as well as our previous one ( a Zxzel (sp.) )

Cougar

What do you mean by ‘different fliter’ – are you talking about microfilters or something else?

If you take the faceplate off the master socket and plug directly into the internal socket instead (known as the ‘test socket’) and your connection improves, you have an internal wiring issue.

The other thing the adslnation does is isolate the ringer wire. There’s a third wire in most domestic installations which used to be necessary back when phones had mechanical bells in them. These days it acts as a dirty great big aeriel channeling noise into the DSL singal.

BT do a thing called an iPlate which disconnects the ringer wire but it’s pointless as a) you can get an adslnation plate for the same money which is better and b) you can manually disconnect the ringer yourself.

So, whilst you’ve got the master panel off, look for a third orange wire connected to pin 3. If it is, pull it out of the connector. The only thing you need are the two blue wires (pins 2 and 5 IIRC).

bigyinn
    Free Member

Already got an iplate. Just wait it out I think.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Sky broadband – Anyone else having issues?’ is closed to new replies.