Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Skoda Octavia estate 2013
  • Bushwacked
    Free Member

Looking at new company cars and this has taken my eye, although getting a test drive seems nigh on impossible via the lease firm we use.

Anyone driven one especially the VRS?

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Just go to a dealers and get a test drive.

gears_suck
    Free Member

Having worked in a dealership in the US and had first hand experience of what a shite job car sales is. I would be reluctant to advise someone to do that. It’s hard enough without people wasting your time test driving a car they are never going to buy from you.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Local dealer hasn’t got the VRS but has a lower spec model. Been open with them but haven’t got round to popping down as its not quite on the doorstep

iolo
    Free Member

Get an a4 if its a company car. It will cost you about the same each month.
    And you get to test drive one.

Drac

As someone who has had lease cars for about 8 years now I’d say test drive if you can. Never been refused when I’ve asked for one after explaining it’ll be on a lease. Audi dealer couldn’t have been more helpful even gave me some goodies.

ironbrucove

In the last two years I’ve drivers an Octavia estate, golf estate, seat exeo estate and a4 saloon and the Octavia is the best to drive and most ecomonic.

Murray

I’ve test driven a new VRs diesel estate. DSG box is now sorted (I last tried one 5 years ago and hated it). Fast, comfortable. Not very inspiring inside compared to a Golf GTD which itself isn’t very exciting. I nearly bought it but the salesman was such an arse I couldn’t bring myself to buy from him (I even considered trying to buy via my local VW dealer as the salesman was the exact opposite).

Lease cost is way less than an A4. Benefit in kind should be lower due to low list price.

timc
    Free Member

the new elegance estate looks great tbf

heavyman
    Free Member

We had a choice of a few cars Avensis and Octavia being 2 of them, I chose the Avensis and wasn’t too impressed with it, some colleagues chose the Octavia and said it was a great car!

db

Just had 2lt tdi SE spec for a 3 day test drive 😛
    (Think I would kill myself in a VRS – but I’m swapping from a Berlingo with 90bhp)

I thought the ride was a bit hard (but used to french cars) and that was with 16″ wheels. I hate to think what the VRS rides like but that is personal.

I had a good poke about and thought the quality was ok. Couple of very minor bits let it down e.g. the rotary heating controls seemed a bit loose.

Basically I liked and its at the top of my list. just want to test drive a V60 D4 before I order. Not even sure why as it would cost me a bit more but something keeps pulling back to a volvo.

Rich_s

Got one on order (elegance) which I had to order from the brochure as there was bog all around at the time.

Really wanted the vrs but I had to order it 3 weeks prior to the prices coming out 🙁

The vrs has different back end boingy bits and some fancy front diff active steering trickery – having looked at the price difference I’m not sure I would have gone with the vrs anyway given the spec on the elegance. My days of being a keen driver have been replaced by a what’s sensible, cheap and big approach!

Fwiw, the tests on the 4wd version seem to say that it could be worth it – in 2.0tdi guise anyway.

I suppose it’s also worth thinking about what you’re changing from – my Glof estate is a mk5, and the Octavia is effectively a mk7 so I’m happy that the drive will be a lot more positive.

If it helps, I’ll post up once I have it. Should be here in 4 weeks.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

We are after a Octavia estate, but cant get one to test drive at all, been waiting about 2 months now.

I really don’t see what the fascination is with the VRS is though, its lower spec than the elegance and cost more money.

timc
    Free Member

IMO the MK2 Elegance didn’t look anywhere near as nice as the VRS, Id say they have closed that gap on the MK3 with the above posted Elegance looking very nice.

Some people also think the VRS is ‘fast’. One thing is for sure, those terrible white & black seats are enough to put anyone off

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Rich – what engine did you get, we are thinking of the 1.4 which is only slightly slower than the VRS

Rich_s

It’s a company car so 2.0tdi. For the pittance saving over the 1.6tdi, it just isn’t worth the drop off in performance. There was an autocar review somewhere saying that the 1.6 was a bit poo.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Thanks for the input. Been looking at a number of cars inc BMW, Audi and Mercs. I recently test drove an A4 Avant but the ride was seriously hard on that and the steering was seriously light.

A VRS even with loads of options would save me over £100 on a base A4 so seems silly not to have a look and consider them.

Arranging a test drive in the next few days.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

I’ve just ordered a petrol vRS estate in white as a company car. I struggled to actually test drive the model I wanted, and had to do a 90 mile round trip to find one at a dealer.

Obviously, I really liked it. It’s really quite refined, and with the cheaper base price, I could load it up a bit with options.

They are smooth and fast, not as dynamic as my current car (Golf GTI) but certainly a bit more grown up and very practical. They are more than dynamic enough to put a smile on your face down a good B road though. Fit and finish was excellent and as good as my golf, which is a 2011 car.

Be aware that there is currently a 6 month wait for a vRS, maybe more if you have unusual options.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Woah! 6 months! As long at the A4 then…

BlindMelon
    Free Member

I got a new model Octavia as a hire car and when told at the desk that’s what it was going to be I was looking forward to driving it given all the reviews you read about them. But I have to say I was really disappointed.

My biggest gripe was the road noise, it was terrible particularly on the motorway. My colleague in the passenger seat took a call on his mobile and I had to slow to 50 for him to hear the other person. I thought the seats were really uncomfortable after an hour or so and it was poorly spec’d for a mid range model. No cruise control really bugged me. The ride was very harsh as well.

My Mrs has a Mk6 golf S and while it’s also got quite a bit of road noise it’s nowhere near as bad as the new Octavia. Economy wasn’t great either, although it only had 200 miles on the clock so that may improve?

I did however like the DSG box so it wasn’t all bad!

freddyg
    Free Member

I had an Elegance on test earlier this year. It was a lovely car and I was very impressed (coming from a 59 plate BMW 320D SE).

I fancied a bit more poke, so ordered a vRS (white, diesel estate). It will be here mid December.

geordiemick00
    Free Member

i test drove one last week, lightcliffe in Warrington have Vrs estate in as a demonstator in petrol DSG form.

I’m looking for a car at the moment and despite the fact I have a budget for a 5 series M Sport tourer I want to lower my tax liabilities.

In all, I was extremely impressed by the Vrs. It’s ride wasn’t anywhere near as good as my 3 series and it went like a scalded cat. I really enjoyed the hour or so I had in it, but my problem with it is when they’ve had a brand new platform to work on (VAG MQB) why on earth have the made it look just about the same as the old car?? There was a lot of road noise coming from the boot, but the level of kit was good and it was a nice seating position.

I parked it up and got into my 2 year old 80k 320D M Sport and the BMW felt like a slipper, despite the fact it gives me awful back ache. It just felt solid, more engaging and despite it’s mileage very well put together.

I certainly wouldn’t moan if I had to drive one but in the company of others it’s just lacking something…

footflaps

Be aware that there is currently a 6 month wait for a vRS, maybe more if you have unusual options.

Is that the Diesel or the Petrol? Skoda did have capacity problems with the Diesel engines (demand exceeded supply). Petrol models had shorter lead times….

Edit or rather the VAG group did as most of the diesel engines comes from a Skoda plant….

simon_g

Be aware that there is currently a 6 month wait for a vRS

Was quoted 14 weeks for a diesel DSG wagon last week.

spacemonkey

Nobody above considered a Superb? LOTS of car for the money and drives pretty damn well too.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

…not as dynamic as my current car…

What does that *actually* mean? Especially as the vRS and Golf GTi tend to share the same engine and floorplan?

freddyg
    Free Member

Be aware that there is currently a 6 month wait for a vRS, maybe more if you have unusual options

This only applies to the hatchback and to the estate with certain options – panoramic roof and auto-cruise control being two I can immediately think of.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Pimpmaster Jazz – Member
    …not as dynamic as my current car…
    What does that *actually* mean? Especially as the vRS and Golf GTi tend to share the same engine and floorplan?

New octavia has different platform..

What I actually mean is the golf is just a bit more direct, it’s power steering is better weighted, it has a bit more grip, and a little less roll, just feels like you can lean on it a bit more through a tightening corner…

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

footflaps – Member
    Is that the Diesel or the Petrol? Skoda did have capacity problems with the Diesel engines (demand exceeded supply). Petrol models had shorter lead times….

Edit or rather the VAG group did as most of the diesel engines comes from a Skoda plant….

Not sure, just what i’ve read from Briskoda, and the members that have ordered, I’ll add my real world experience when they give me a date.

footflaps

It may have changed. The wife used to work for Skoda 18 months ago and at that time the lead time of a Petrol VRS was bugger all, but the Diesel was 6 months. So we had a Petrol VRS as the company car.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

New octavia has different platform..

What I actually mean is the golf is just a bit more direct, it’s power steering is better weighted, it has a bit more grip, and a little less roll, just feels like you can lean on it a bit more through a tightening corner…

Fairy muff. 🙂

mrchrispy

If you are going to test drive from lookers in Stockport then I say go for it. test drive as many as you can for as long as you can and then get it else where….useless sods!

Rich_s

I’ve had the Octavia for a month now. Estate 2.0tdi Elegance. And it’s a bit… meh. 3k have been added, zero oil used. I’ve been made redundant from work so I am treating it with a little less discretion than I otherwise would.

It’s reasonably quick. Wheel feels good to hold. Huge boot when you drop the false floor. Very well nailed together inside. There are cheap bits but they are well hidden.

Satnav infotainment is slow to use and respond and a bit faffy. Radio is good though.

Averaging about 48-49mpg. Small tank (53 quid fill) with approx 400 range. Have had 54mpg on a motorway run and I think it will give mid/high 50s when run in.

Issues? Don’t like the handling at all. Front end feels distant and unconnected. I took the glof out to remind myself and it (mk6) feels somehow better. Feels like a lot of body roll is going on too. Somehow with chunky wheels, it manages to have bugger all grip, and traction isn’t brilliant.

Good motorway car though. Oh, and it has a front assist system which auto brakes. Bloody awful thing – first thing that gets turned off.

Keep an eye out for another’what car…’ thread.

meehaja
    Free Member

I’m currently sat in a octavia scout estate (2013). Its the 2.0Tdi 4X4. I drive these for a living, so have probably driven about 20 different skoda octavias over the last few years! We use them as fast response cars.. Although its a different model to what you are asking about, in true singletrack fashion I’ll throw my penny in!

DSG box is a bit of a let down, in auto is a bit slow on the shift (not “draggy” but noticable), in sport mode its too revvy low down, but fine once you get going.

trim is the weak spot, seat controls tend to fall off (winder for back rest up/down) that said, these cars are being driven 24 hours a day by different people, constantly adjusting seats, so that would put extra strain on, seat covers are thin an tear easily (if you keep scissors in your pocket) and the trim on the top of the door comes unstuck in a weird zigzag pattern like a varicose vein!

Reliability is spot on, and safety wise I’m happy (having crashed 2, one at speed and walked away both times)

Stereo is good, but radio reception is sometimes patchy.

MPG, in auto I’m getting about 30mpg (remember this is hard, emergency driving, Zafira SRI’s (also 150bhp tdi) used to give about 26mpg. Manual skoda I’m getting about 32mpg if I’m nice, 28 if I’m really hammering it (but I do work in a city centre)

Space wise there’s plenty, and it handles well with a lot of weight in the boot.

I know everyone on singletrack loves VAG cars, but simply put, nearly every ambulance service, some police and most taxis are octavias for a reason…

totalshell

meehaja’s spot on and the best advert for the 4×4 is the fast response octavia that is driven with a flourish by the guy in Rochdale.. chapeau fella i hope your on duty if i ever need you!

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Skoda Octavia estate 2013’ is closed to new replies.