Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 95 total)
  • Skoda Octavia 1.0TSI will it move?
  • andy8442
    Free Member

Sooo.. we’re thinking of changing the family car sometime in the near future and are looking at lots of cars and the Skoda Octavia EST fits the bill. As petrol seems to be the future ( for now) I noticed the 1.0TSI and wondered if it would work for us? My wife’s run about really, but needs to be a decent size, with the very occasional long run, but no more than 8k a year. Will this puny little engine even work? and has anyone had any useful experience of this car and thoughts on the new breed of small engines in big cars?

iainc

Wife has same engine in a Q2, which is a bit smaller and lighter. It’s very nippy, and even with 4 folk in it pulls well.

Junkyard
    Free Member

is it the same as the one in the fabia? Nippy and constant turbo so seems fine for most journeys . Ok with a full car in it as well

cyclelife
    Free Member

Borrowed one while my 1.4tsi estate was in for service.
    Works well enough had my son n DIL plus grandaughter and load of shopping, still pulled ok. Slow compared to 1.4 (150bhp) but good enough.

slowoldman

Is it just me or does anyone else have doubts about the longevity of these little units?

jbproductions
    Free Member

No, that’s my worry too. On paper they look o.k but I do wonder if they get over-stressed and will die early. I think the missus’s next Octavia will be the new 1.5TSI or maybe a 1.4, dependant on age.

jimjam
    Free Member

andy8442 – Member

Will this puny little engine even work? and has anyone had any useful experience of this car and thoughts on the new breed of small engines in big cars?

Performance figures have it one second faster to 60mph than the base spec diesel. It has 10bhp more, 36lbs ft less, probably offset by slightly lower weight in the petrol engine.

Will it move, definitely. Will it move in a manner that stirs your loins? Depends on your loins.

slowoldman – Member

Is it just me or does anyone else have doubts about the longevity of these little units?

If the vag are anything like Ford they are cast iron blocks designed from the ground up to cope with boost and stress. Probably only relevant if the op intends to keep the car for 50k+.

RustyNissanPrairie

Im old school when it comes to engine(ering).

Our V70 is currently on 160k miles with no issues but i deliberately bought the least stressed engine they make -2.4l NA petrol producing 140hp.
    I cant see these small capacity force induction high output engines surviving +100k miles

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Car manufacturers are looking at reducing the raw material content of cars as far as possible – smallengines are light and have less materials.

The white goods manufacturers have been at it for years. They all need to reduce cost at every point of the supply and manufacturing chain.

Cougar

Ask Skoda for a test drive? It’s what I did.

If you’re buying new, I’d wager that you’re looking at either a 2 litre diesel or a long wait.

RustyNissanPrairie

mjam – Member
    RustyNissanPrairie – Member
    I cant see these small capacity force induction high output engines surviving +100k miles

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201711060988105?sort=mileage&radius=1500&postcode=ol145px&year-from=2010&make=FORD&fuel-type=Petrol&advertising-location=at_cars&maximum-mileage=150000&minimum-mileage=80000&onesearchad=Used&maximum-badge-engine-size=1.0&page=3

But then google VW twincharged TSI for comparision.

Im not totally against small engines and I did learn a lesson when looking at Smart cars years ago for my wifes commute – i thought that the 600cc turbo engine would be a timebomb but googling ~10years or so after the event has shown that they have been pretty reliable.

angeldust
    Free Member

Im old school when it comes to engine(ering).

Our V70 is currently on 160k miles with no issues but i deliberately bought the least stressed engine they make -2.4l NA petrol producing 140hp.

Pretty sure VAG, and other car manufacturers don’t give a toss about people that want to spend peanuts on old, high mileage cars.

jimjam
    Free Member

But then google VW twincharged TSI for comparision.

So compare an alloy engine that’s supercharged and turbo charged for use in performance applications like the Polo GTI and Fabia VRS with a cast iron engine that’s turbocharged and intended for use in everything including base spec 99bhp Fiestas?

RustyNissanPrairie

or even that their products reach high mileages – just as long as they look cheap on lease/PCP.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Me too. I think a 1.4 turbo is too small for an Octavia. Posts on here about similar engine in a Touran dying at 35,000 miles

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

Tbh cars don’t tend to fail because the engine itself has let go anymore generally uneconomic to repair because of other issues. I wouldn’t be too worried about the engine if I test drove it and it was fast enough for me (190bhp vag driver) 🙂

DrP

In an Octavia we’ve had a 1.6 FSI NA engine..115BHP… but felt really weak. Drove OK, but had nothing in the tank for hills/overtaking etc.
    Currently have a 2lTDI Oct – love it. But i kill a kitten each time i accelerate…

Also have a 1.4 TSI yeti – really great engine, but not that great mpg (Though it is a 4wd box).

I’d test drive a 1l engine, but…. i’m Not convinced that (Unless there’s magic under the bonnet) it’d be great in an Octy…

DrP

Jamie
    Free Member

I have a 1.0 (125ps) Fiesta Ecoboost which usually just has me in it.

Not sure I’d want that sized engine in anything bigger.

windydave13
    Free Member

My dad has just picked up his new Ibiza with the 3 cylinder 1.0 turbo. Pulls well and performs nicely.

Aren’t these new engines (1.0 & 1.5) the first to be designed to be run with a turbo rather than taking older engines and modifying them to be turbo’d?

andy8442
    Free Member

I should have said we are looking to lease it for 2 yrs only, so,longevity , someone else’s problem!

iainc

Our Q2 is averaging about 40 mpg, all stop start, slow and short journeys, heaters and demisters on etc. It will do around 10k max a year and is on a 4yr PCP, so similarly not worried about longevity.

Trekster

slowoldman – Member

Kia = 7yr warranty 😆
    Clock will start ticking around Feb, 4mnth wait 🙄

iainc – Member
    Our Q2 is averaging about 40 mpg, all stop start, slow and short journeys, heaters and demisters on etc.

This is the bit that worries me. Our Sorrento does 35-40 on MrsTs commute. I can easily get 4-5mpg more than her(she holds onto gears too long!) sitting at justbover the legal limit over Xmas from Penrith to Dumfries with a top box on the Sorrento managed 35-7mpg which for a big 4×4 ain’t bad…

philjunior
    Free Member

I’ve a 1.2TSI and it’s a bit less powerful than the newer 1.0TSI, it has enough performance. Not going to tear the road up in a blaze of tire smoke, but not by a long shot the slowest car I’ve driven.

It’s a fairly light car for it’s size too, which helps. In terms of engine longevity, I don’t want to say anything at all in case I tempt fate, but judging an engine’s longevity by its size is quite frankly a load of bollocks.

They do get through a reasonable amount of oil though, and not keeping on top of that could easily kill it at a very low mileage. And of course having a turbo etc is another set of stuff to go wrong.

slowoldman

And of course having a turbo etc is another set of stuff to go wrong.

Well yes!!

RustyNissanPrairie

It’s a fairly light car for it’s size too, which helps. In terms of engine longevity, I don’t want to say anything at all in case I tempt fate, but judging an engine’s longevity by its size is quite frankly a load of bollocks.

Large capacity unstressed naturally aspirated low output engines (which is what im talking about) vs small forced induction with large power outputs??? Only one winner as far as longevity is concerned unless you include turbo’s as consumable parts?

Fuel economy and efficiency are a completely different matter

tonyg2003

Well looks 300kg lighter than the diesel so although just over 110bhp / 148lb-ft should probably go along Ok. Less than 10sec to 60. So not slow.

Engine longevity in modern engines I think is probably more due to sympathetic driving styles (not ragging the engine or labouring) and keeping to maintainence schedules.

I do wonder how economical this engine – car combo will be in real world use. Some of these small turbo engines are far less economical than there MPG figures would suggest.

frankconway

A small car with (relatively) small engine isn’t a problem but the Octavia doesn’t fit my definition of a small car; for that size of car body I wouldn’t go below 1.4.
    New, used or nearly new?
    I would be very clear about when I would move it on; flog it to death or take good care and then move it on after about three years.
    Are you a cash/finance buyer or PCP?
    If cash/finance, consider likely resale prices.
    Having said all of that, I should probably re-think my choice of motor – 3.2 turbo german rear wheel drive auto which is incredibly…..easy to drive (think point & squirt), impractical unless you need acres of room, useless around town, undriveable on snow or ice, fantastic on long drives, uber comfortable and uber reliable.
    Pays your money, takes your choice.
    I wouldn’t know where to start if I was in the market for a replacement.
    HTH!

ian martin
    Free Member

From experience small petrol engines with turbos are great around town but next to useless in the ice and snow (the polar opposite of a 2.0tdi+ engined car)

Interesting the manual in my 150bhp 1.4 bravo said not to let the turbo warm up and cool down pre and post drive as I had always understood was the right way to treat a car with a turbo

ian martin
    Free Member

About cars advertised mpg figures (I know they’re achieved in a lab), in my experience than can be achieved (or very close) if:
    a) you drive like you ride a bike around town (no hard accelerating or braking, freewheel towards to red traffic lights and try to anticipate the traffic ahead)
    b) Stick to speed limits
    c) Change gear regularly to match the cars speed
    d) If your car has stop/start then use it.
    e) Don’t carry 100kg of crap in your boot
    f) regularly maintain your car including checking your tyre pressure regularly.
    g) own a car suitable to your needs and not your latest whim or bank balance.

Sorry about my moan but people who drive about 10mph over the speed limit (and nose to tail) then complain of poor fuel economy really annoy me.

hot_fiat

Modern turbos all have water jacket cooling and electric cooldown pumps. You can, in theory just shut them off straight away. I don’t quite subscribe to that idea and will always ease off on the last mile or so, but then I’d do that whether the engine was F/I or N/A. There’s no reason at all, with good oil care, that a small capacity lump couldn’t outlast a 2.4l ponderous dinosaur.

If you rattle along at 800rpm in 6th @30mph then you deserve to have either set of ends deposit themselves in your shins. Poor engine.

phil5556

I’ll be keeping an eye on this out of interest. I currently drive a dirty diesel 2.0 Octavia VRS. I like it. I can’t see a 1 litre petrol equivalent being as fun, quick or easy to drive on my daily commute.

It also averages 40+mpg on my day to day twisty/fast/slow A/B road driving, and as much as 55mpg on a decent run.

I wonder how these small engined bigger cars are to live with.

sbob
    Free Member

andy8442 – Member

I should have said we are looking to lease it for 2 yrs only, so,longevity , someone else’s problem!

If you’re not bothered about the environmental longevity then just get an older car with a bigger engine.

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

I drove yetis with 1.2tsi and 1.4tsi before plumping for the latter. The 1.2 was pefectly adequate though…1.0 has a bit more power still.

2wd Octy will be a bit lighter and more aerodynamic. Going for the dsg gearbx will help get the best out of the smaller engine without feeling that you have the row it along. That just leaves the lack of overall power for big overtakes….you just need to be honest with yourself as to how often you get to do those in today’s traffic conditions?

rone

Got a 1.4 and 1.2 Yeti. Much prefer the 1.2Tsi. it sounds smoother doesn’t seem a whole lot slower and is way more economical.

Looking forward to the 1.0 Karoq in Feb.

cyclelife
    Free Member

55mpg out of my estate Octavia 1.4tsi 150 on 90 mile commute reading 48.5 for long term over two years. Lot of the non commute is around city or loaded up with 2+ bikes on towball rack for days away. I got a great deal on it from new £5k off and 0% PcP planning on buying it at end of deal, really pleased with it and service from dealer. Hope the engine looks after me long term!

angeldust
    Free Member

frankconway – Member

A small car with (relatively) small engine isn’t a problem but the Octavia doesn’t fit my definition of a small car; for that size of car body I wouldn’t go below 1.4.

Judging the ‘suitability’ of an engine by it’s capacity is old fashioned, and now irrelevant. Look at the weight of the car, the output (bhp and torque, to use some old fashioned terms) and the performance figures.

slackalice
    Free Member

I’m with rusty nissan here, the old adage that you can’t beat cubic capacity. Small engine in a big car means it’s going to struggle, simple power to weight ratio.

Whilst it produces more power than the 1.2l, where is max power produced? Pointless if peak power is high up the rev range, unless you like to use the gearbox.

For everyday driveability, torque is more useful, which is where the Now unfashionable big capacity long stroke with heavy flywheels are more conducive for a relaxed driving experience. Of course, YMMV.

irc

Whilst it produces more power than the 1.2l, where is max power produced? Pointless if peak power is high up the rev range, unless you like to use the gearbox.

Only two data points but my 1.4Tsi Octavia pulls far better from low revs than my previous Mondeo 1.8 non turbo petrol. The Mondeo was better at high revs but the Octavia better for everyday driving.

MPG – Mondeo mid 30s, Octavia 47mpg for Glasgow to Cambridge at 75mph much of the way. 52mpg Glasgow to Skye and back at A road speeds.

As for smaller turbos in big cars still not convinced. I test drove a 1.2Tsi Octavia before buying a 1.4 and thought it a touch underpowered compared to my Mondeo.

I believe in general modern small turbo engines pull well from low revs. There has to be a limit how small you can go though.

jimjam
    Free Member

slackalice – Member

I’m with rusty nissan here, the old adage that you can’t beat cubic capacity. Small engine in a big car means it’s going to struggle, simple power to weight ratio.

Apparently not so simple that you could make a coherent point. Forced induction = more power, less weight and a better power to weight ratio.

For everyday driveability, torque is more useful,

Last time I checked the Ford 1.0 ecoboost produces peak torque around 1900rpm and about 90% of the bhp. It does produce max bhp closer to the top of the rev range but this means you have a wider useable power band.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘Skoda Octavia 1.0TSI will it move?’ is closed to new replies.