Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Skitastic !
  • Andy-W
    Free Member

Looking to book a week away in the snow very very soon
    Any of you ski and boarding people know of any places to look on the interweb

Dont want to faff about booking flights,transfers and the accommodation all seperate to save £20

Looking for a catered chalet close to the slopes n bars and no kids if possible

Would like St Anton or Chamonix if poss but any place that good for skiing on and off piste , also good night life

Not fussed about a 7 Star chalet, just a bed,bath,bog and nice food close to loads of snow is all thats needed

Cheers

Andy

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Search through iglu – find out which company is actually offering the holiday and book it through them.

Inghams/Thomson/Crystal/Neilson are your best bet for deals but you’ll have to do your homework on each chalet.

tragically1969
    Free Member

So go to chamonix then ? I think what you need is a visit to the travel agents

TheFlyingOx

Chamonix is RIDICULOUSLY expensive for the apres-ski, but it’s the only place abroad I’ve been for snowboarding so I don’t know if it’s indicative of the norm.
    Examples from February 2008:
    Tartiflette (boiled potatoes, cream, cheese & onion bake) in a polystyrene tray = €9
    500mL lager up the mountain €8
    500mL lager/280mL bottle in the town €6
    Food in the local supermarkets is stupidly expensive too if you’re self-catering.

I’m looking at Poland for 2011. Apparently it’s decent enough for the averagely-skilled and much more reasonable prices.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

Hi Andy, What are you asking? Google ‘Ski Holidays Chamonix”

Andy-W
    Free Member

Cheers
    I am back at work now so no time to get to or speak to a travel agent in the week(only after work)

I know all about silly money for food and beers its just one of those things you expect and have to deal with it the best you can.

a night on the pc it is for me then

thanks

Andy

singletrackmind

Skiworld ‘Late Offers’ is your friend
    or Alpine Answers.
    Why Cham,? When everyone knows Argentiere is better
    Or look on Snowheads for inspiration .
    ChaletFinder lets you post your requirements if you can sort flights and transfers.
    HTH rob

Andy-W
    Free Member

Thanks again boys n girls
    Got sorted , not for this weekend but later in the month

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I would not go skiing in France again. It’s just too expensive up in the French resorts. And they are incredibly busy mid-season.

bigbob38
    Free Member

try Alpine Elements…

Very much a lower end chalet service but good for parties!

Bunnyhop

buzz-lightyear – my thoughts entirely until last week.
    We have just come back from La Plagne, where I was surprised at how skiing in France ( well La Plagne)has imporved.
    It wasn’t as expensive as I remember, the ‘loo’ facilities were so much better, as were the restaurants on the hill. Many eateries have gone quite trendy. There was only one incident of the infamous French rudeness by one cafe owner, to which we were pre-warned and left before ordereing any drinks.

Even though it was holiday season the slopes were relatively quite. Of course getting up a bit earlier to avoid the queues is always good.

Have fun Andy W.

There is always good advice over on snowheads.com.

Woody
    Free Member

On my last couple of trips I’ve found Austria to be very good value. Most of France and Italy are just taking the pissoir as far as I can tell with price and standard of accommodation/food. I’ve never found the French to be rude though, probably because I’m not English and attempt to speak French 😆

Hays travel have been good on the several times I’ve used them. Phone them and tell them what you want and they will find it for you, usually at as good a price or better than booking direct.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

We booked last night with Crystal Ski, although wierdly when I rang to talk to them the prices were about £100-150 more! EVen the operator said you’ll get better deals on the internet. There are LOADS of deals out there, we are going in about 3 weeks. Have a look at http://www.snowtrex.com or crystal or fasttrackski was the other website I was looking at.

ridepoland
    Free Member

Hi, The Flying Ox if you are about to come Poland for some skiing be careful with dates between 17th of January and 28th of Feb. It’s a time of winter holidays for schools and you can be a bit disappointed. There are thousands of people in this period around polish ski resorts, so it can be annoying to wait in a very long queues for chairlifts. But true prices are reasonable, depanding on area of course.

theyEye
    Free Member

My entire polish family comes down to Austria/Italy to ski. They say it’s not much more expensive, but much much better. In fact I’m leaving in 15 min to drive up and meet them in Selva di Val Gardena, which I heard is a killer resort.

That said, I did enjoy skiing in poland very much way back in the day. But I was 7.

GrahamS

Just to get you in the mood:
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB2E1D5hrdI[/video]

ridepoland
    Free Member

There is no way to compare Poland and France/Italy/Austria if it’s about skiing that is true. But i’m not so sure about those costs. I also used to ski abroad and have to say that every trip is about 2x more expensive than the same period of time in Poland if you calculate all of transportation, food, drinks etc. Of course I’m polish and live here 🙂 In fact there are few spots to have some nice skiing in Poland but they are ok for a short trip (2-3 days).

scotabroad

Nice vid of bright one piece ski suits

Never thought I would be envious of John Denver, but seeing how good he is in skis made me so…

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Skitastic !’ is closed to new replies.