Viewing 8 posts - 81 through 88 (of 88 total)
  • Skis….what to get?
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Juan, we fly in to Turin and transfer from there.

Work may well be taking me to the sun-kissed Riviera in Spring, though….

All well avec toi, mon vieux?

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Okay I’ll have Lindsey Vonn, you two can have Mancuso and Alcott 😀

Actually I’ll take Lara Gutt, I change my mind 🙂 .

NZCol

Have you seen the latest machines NZCol. The old Wintersteiger that just gave a flat base with two possible finishes is a thing of the past. Why would you want an “edge high ski”. Edge high is considered a defect solved by grinding the base then dropping the edges by between .5 and 1.5° and then sharpening to taste. Always put edge-high skis through a stone, or bin them.

Yes i have seen them and worked on them as well as the Wintersteiger and Montana factory spec machines as well (We actually had a Montana factory machine in our NZ shop). There are a myriad of base combinations available depending on how you dress the stone and what speed you dress it at.
    I said you didn’t want an edge high ski, the only ski you will ever be able to turn efficiently is a completely flat ski and grinding it flat doesn’t work, filing it flat first, then structuring the base on the stone and then finally applying a bevel to the edge is how you should do it. At that point you have a well structured ski, that will take wax, which can have proper turn initiation and a nice edge bevel. Structuring edges and mashing skis through a machine with sparks everywhere is a totally pathetic way to prepare skis (not to mention quite expensive on stones). The heat generated on the stone in a heavy grind (to try and flatten it) makes the base expand with the heat (even with a very high emulsion content in the hopper), then when it cools it tends to contract and make the ski ‘rail’ again really badly. So base file them and then prepare them properly. I’m not even going to bother willy waving and listing why I believe it should be done like this but all i’ll say is we prepared all our skis like that and kept them like that all year and I consistently fouind it easier to teach people on those skis than railed skis. We did blind tests where we used the same ski (model, age and days use even) prepared ‘normally’ i.e. ploughed through the automated wintersteiger that we never used, and one that had been hand flattened (takes about 5 minutes a pair) then given a light pass to structure it. Even the reverse camber skis should be done like this. Try it, you’ll be surprised.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Let us know what you decide on OP!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I shall indeed return here! Am planning a mammoth day out to the Hemel Alp as an initial tester day.

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

Fast ski’s would be good, or those to help you avoid wolves

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14637701

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

those to help you avoid wolves

Volkl Grizzlys then? I reckon a grizzly would have a wolf.

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

Going back a good number of years I had some missiles (MSLs) they would have done too – am not up with the latest skiis I’m afraid.

Or ski sticks like Roger Moore had in The Spy Who Loved me may help.

Wolves could be at Serre Che or Le Grave (do they have any pistes there yet?) too from the map of Haute Alpes

Viewing 8 posts - 81 through 88 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘Skis….what to get?’ is closed to new replies.