Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • skinsuit users
  • ferrals
    Free Member

Club is going to be ordering some skinsuits. I’m going to get one or two for cx. Definately going to order a short sleeve one, wondering about getting a long sleeve one as well for when its colder but not sure if its really necessary, does wearing a longsleeve base or arm warmers with a ss one keep you warm enough?

legend
    Free Member

Is it a CX skinsuit? Would’ve thought you’d freeze your balls off in a normal (summer) one. If it’s a Pactimo suit, depending on where you are there might well be a shop nearby that has samples to allow you to try out things like putting baselayers underneath

SaxonRider

Slightly related question: Why are skinsuits generally used in CX? In that context, what are the advantages over conventional shorts and top?

ferrals
    Free Member

Just a normal one. I’m fine normally for cx in just bibshorts and a jersey (long sleeved when colder) without a base layer and was under the impression skinsuits were warmer? Only wore a base layer twice last season, once in the snow and once when i got so hot it affectd performace!

davidjey
    Free Member

I use a normal ‘summer’ short sleeved skinsuit for cross, plus extra bits of clothing according to conditions. If cold add a thin SS merino baselayer; if still cold add armwarmers as well, etc. Normally don’t wear any more than that. I think for the Parc Bryn Bach snowpocalypse I wore a LS baselayer under my skinsuit, then put arm warmers over the sleeves. A bit of weird way to get two long sleeved layers but it worked fine for me.

davidjey
    Free Member

Oh and our club is looking at different skinsuit suppliers and showed me samples for a long sleeved cross specific one. It was thicker/warmer, so thick that I would have overheated in a balmy September race. So unless you do want to fork out for an ‘early season’ and ‘late season’ skinsuit…..personally I’d rather just trash one per year!!

legend
    Free Member

A bit of weird way to get two long sleeved layers but it worked fine for me.

You’re not alone, been trying to figure out the best way to combine a long sleeve baselayer with arm-warmers for ages!

TiRed

Short sleeved with a long sleeve compression top underneath will be all you need. I quite like wearing roubaix bib 3/4 with a race cut short sleeved jersey and long sleeve base layer. Good in cold, and not too hot when it warms up.

Our club CX skinsuits are roubaix material, and I think it’s a bit too much warmth for me.

davidjey
    Free Member

Why are skinsuits generally used in CX?

Marginal aero benefits on faster courses, nice and snug so no material to catch on the bike when dismounting/runnning/remounting. But mainly to be honest its a bit like leg shaving*, you do it because it’s what the fast guys do and so you look/feel faster!

*although shaved legs have very clear benefits when you are cleaning your legs post-race!

mattnoble
    Free Member

I’ve used a non winter LS skinsuit in the recent cold spell (around 0) for CX and had no issues and I don’t think the LS/SS would have made much of a difference tbh. Because you’re going at it hard for an hour, you dont really feel the cold like you would in 3-4 hours on the road bike.

In truth i got LS because i wanted to use it for timetrial (and i have an old design SS skinsuit already that i can still get away with using). My advice to get the most out of your first skinsuit would be to go SS and get some amr/leg warmers. Next time get a LS if you think you’re gonna need it.

ferrals
    Free Member

Cheers all, one short sleeved one it is.

Because you’re going at it hard for an hour, you dont really feel the cold

Agree with this, normally have unzipped top even in late season.

I think for the Parc Bryn Bach snowpocalypse

I wore a ss base layer, a long sleeved base layer, a jersey and still had numb hands and feet by the end. I was recoving from the flu a bit of a cold though

dovebiker

Some kit makers do a fleecy-lined skinsuit for CX, but even a regular one with baselayers, warmers to suit the conditions. Main problem is warming-up and not getting cold at the start – full-leg zipped leggings and a waterproof that you can easily remove 2 minutes to go are best – half-way around the first lap, rarely worry about the cold and wet, more about keeping the heart and lungs in the chest-cavity!

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Iain, I’ve been using my old TT long sleeve Endura skin suit because I had it. It’s getting a bit tired now though so I’ve just got another short (elbow length) sleeve one for this year. I always wear a base layer. At Bryn Bach I went for 3/4s and a roubaix type jersey because it was **** cold.
    I’ve had the bike snag on my jersey pockets when I used a normal jersey previously.
    I’m not sure we get the conditions regularly to warrant a roubaix skinsuit, I’d boil.

Oh and thank goodness those bib shorts are going :mrgreen:

ferrals
    Free Member

😳 😆

Those bib shorts came from a bad batch that seemed to wear incredibly quickly – everyone else got there’s replaced but I missed the boat on that one. Still going to use them for mtb though 😀

edit. You going to do any of the xc Thom? first round 5th March at Afan

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Not sure. Haven’t looked at the xc stuff yet. I’ve got a couple of road races to do too in march/April and battle on the beach.

eddie11
    Free Member

its because skin suits feel awesome.

its like leg shaving, no one can really say why they first shaved their legs. but everyone knows why they keep doing it.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘skinsuit users’ is closed to new replies.