Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Skills courses for beginners (at Laggan/GT)
  • SpokesCycles
    Free Member

We're hoping to put on a skills day for about 5 or 6 riders from our club who're new to the sport and would like to improve. 1 or 2 are getting really very proficient but some seem to have everything wrong.

I'm after a skills leader who isn't perhaps a "big name" and can do skills at somewhere like Laggan or Glentress (ideally laggan though), on weekends. Budget is £300 but would rather spend less.

I know there's dirt school etc but I don't see the point in spending that much on it until they're getting properly good (and yes, I know they're very good, I did a day with them and it blew me away, but I'd rather something mroe low key).

Cheers

doug_basqueMTB.com

Spokes, there's a guy called Jules Fincham who runs CycleWildScotland in Aviemore who does skills days at Laggan. He's a top bloke and I've totally enjoyed everything that I've done with him.

Check out his link here: Laggan Bike School and I think he might be doing a "book one place, get 2nd 1/2 price" deal at the moment.

argyle
    Free Member

James Busman at the Bike Chain in Edinburgh is an awesome rider and looking to do something like this, you guys should hook up

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Mrs TJ did a course with the girls at the hub. Expensive but there was 1 instructor to 3 riders so you do get a lot for your money. Its one of the critical things is the instructor / pupil ratio

I think going for a cheap altenative is a false economy.

stevomcd
    Free Member

2nd Jules Fincham, he already runs courses at Laggan and is a top bloke.

Or wait until May (my Spring trip home from the Alps) and I'll do it for you!

jammer
    Free Member

We went on a day's course with Jules Fincham at Laggan. It was an excellent introductory / intermediate course, and very reasonably priced. Sounds just what you're looking for.

enduro-aid
    Free Member

the hub course isnt all that expensive when you take into consideration its a full days course and they chuck in the book the dvd, tea coffee cake and lunch!!

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

think i've met jules, and ridden with him up near aviemore, seen him a few times at laggan too. he was a nice bloke – think he'd be pretty good.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Argyle- please could you e-mail me a phone number/e-mail for James. The guys at TBC dont' know who he is.

I'll look into Jules.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

+1 for Jules Fincham. I did a course with him at Laggan which I think is his main venue. Website here

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

He's all booked when we need him sadly.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

yep, jules is the guy i've ridden with. nice chap.

ojom
    Free Member

Just found this Luke… the reason i had no idea what you were talking about was cause you got the name wrong.

Will chat to James (Butson) when he gets back from lunch.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

*mong*

I'll give you a call later on today then.

Joxster
    Free Member

I used Jamie Boston from the bike chain, he was very accommodating and professional.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Skills courses for beginners (at Laggan/GT)’ is closed to new replies.