• This topic has 22 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by hora.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • skills courses- birthday vouchers?
  • Pook

It’s my birthday in a few weeks and my family are asking what I want. As always I’ve no idea but then thought that I’d like to be able to jump confidently. So thought about asking for skills course vouchers
    What’s out there?

mcnultycop

Where do you live?

Ed Oxley (greatrock) has been ace for me, but he is fairly local (mainly does courses around Gisburn, Hebden).

Others swear by Jedi off this very forum, down South.

granny_ring

Yes vouchers for jedi. Either for a public training day or private group or one to one.

booktownman
    Free Member

The Pro Ride guide boys do vouchers as well – coaching sessions are at Forest of Dean and Hamsterley.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Been thinking about this for my *gulp* 40th in October. I’d like Jedi to teach me how to bunny hop logs at speed (I can bunny hop provided the log is purely hypothetical 😆 ), jump more confidently (and bigger) and go round corners with speed.

Thanks for reminding me to get onto this before the places fill up 😉

gringojimi
    Free Member

Chasing Trails at Dalby Forest also do gift vouchers.
    Well worth getting in touch with if you are located/passing that way.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Pook, I’ve been coached by both Ed and Tony. My recommendation would be to see Tony. It’s further to travel but well worth it.

thepodge
    Free Member

Pro ride guys do Stainburn too, you could wangle it into an in-laws visit

Don’t go to the guy I went to, he was rubbish

scc999

I was lucky enough to have a skills day with Jedi given to me as a birthday present.
    Really can’t recommend him enough.

Si

nwmlarge
    Free Member

Jedi all day long! http://www.ukbikeskills.co.uk

hora
    Free Member

Personally I think unless you have issues with your riding I’d ‘tune-down’ your riding to future-proof/longtermism. Do you REALLY need to learn how to jump?

You know when it goes wrong you take time off work/etc etc.

Personally I’d rather ride as I am and just get fitter than worry about ‘maybe I can do gap/doubles’.

Unless of course you are in a mid-life crisis.

flyingmonkeycorps

I’m gonna go against the STW grain and recommend JP at A Line Coaching in Sheffield; got me doing jumps and berms, and a super nice chap to boot.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

hora, whilst I suspect your questions were directed at the OP, I’ll answer from my perspective.

I was on a ride yesterday that had a couple of challenges that made me stop and think. One was a drop at the foot of a rooty descent. It was a little too high to roll and had neither a smooth approach or landing. I bottled it first time but second time it proved easy and rode away with a huge smile.

The other obstacle was a fallen tree diagonally across the trail. I looked at it and wimped out of attempting to bunny hop it. I’d like to be able to bunny hop obstacles on the trail so I can keep the flow.

“Jumping” is not just about learning how to ride doubles and table tops.

ant77
    Free Member

Where are you?

Can recommend All Biked Up in the Surrey Hills.

Did a course on jumping that took us from a little one and worked up as confidence grew.

This was based out of Peaslake.

Had an ipad so could show you in slow mo where you were going wrong to help visualise how you should change position etc.

Out yesterday over that way and was hitting all the jumps up there with a confidence that I didn’t have before…

hora
    Free Member

stilltortoise I don’t think Pook has your situation though. He should concentrating on new riding clothes and upgrading those bloody forks 😀

Pook

I’ve not upgraded my forks in 2 years and I’m still faster than you hora

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I don’t think Pook has your situation though

Having ridden with him a couple of times I’d say he has exactly my situation 🙂

…except my forks and clothes are newer

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

booktownman – Member
    The Pro Ride guide boys do vouchers as well – coaching sessions are at Forest of Dean and Hamsterley.

thepodge – Member
    Pro ride guys do Stainburn too, you could wangle it into an in-laws visit

Yeh, they are based at Stainburn. They are who I recommend every time on here. completely changed my way of thinking on a bike and had me doing proper bunny hops within half an hour. nice blokes, good at getting it across and their methods are not the standard stuff you get.

jedi

thanks for the recommend guys

getonyourbike
    Free Member

B.A.Nana – Member
    They (Pro Ride Guides) are who I recommend every time on here. completely changed my way of thinking on a bike and had me doing proper bunny hops within half an hour. nice blokes, good at getting it across and their methods are not the standard stuff you get.

I’d agree with you there. I was going faster with less effort after a session with them.

vonplatz
    Free Member

I would go for the Beard (Ed Oxley).

Although this may be slightly controversial I’m speaking from having a session with UK Bike Skills (though not with Tony) and going on a skills trip with Ed.

I found that the teaching on natural trails more useful to my riding as the input from the environment was not always the same. That’s not to say that I could ride everything in Hampshire where UK Bike skills are based but I found repeating the same turns, jumps etc. meant you got really good at riding that whereas with Ed I felt the skills were more transferable.

benjii19
    Free Member

another vote for JP @ Aline

His flow course is really good,its putting it all in to practice thats hard.

hora
    Free Member

I can teach you Pook, heres my course. Its all in the hips

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘skills courses- birthday vouchers?’ is closed to new replies.