Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Skills Advice – Cutties
  • beano68
    Free Member

Trying to maintain corner entry speed and I’m braking before hand and loosing speed and momentum 😥 so I’m trying to perform a cuttie or however its spelt 😐

Any tips or advice as I can’t friccin the rear to loose traction at all even when I put my weight on the front and leaning into the direction I’m going

I will be going on a coaching day sometime but I’d like to get this manoeuvre sorted as I’m loosing so much flow and speed

Ta

jam-bo

so a skid?

beano68
    Free Member

A skid/slide without touching the rear brake

jam-bo

the kinda thing you only see in ‘edits’, not racing…

beano68
    Free Member

Hmmm

RobHilton
    Free Member

Trying to maintain corner entry speed and I’m braking before hand and loosing speed and momentum

Stop trying to go fast – improve your cornering technique at a lower pace and the speed will come.

Slow down to go faster :mrgreen:

nedrapier

the kinda thing you only see in ‘edits’, not racing…

That’s what I’ve always suspected. Looks cool, probably feels pretty good too, but is it just a more skilful version of a back-brake skid?

I#d guess for better speed and momentum through a corner, you’re better off maintaining traction, rather than attempting to lose it. Concentrating on trying to flick the back out is probably messing up your flow rather than improving it.

molgrips
    Free Member

Seems to depend on the weight distribution. On my Salsa it’s so perfectly balanced all I have to do is steer sharply and the back steps out just the right amount. I think on my Patriot I have to get my weight further back, yank the front round and sort of use my hips to push down and away from the turn, with a bit of a twist of the body.

It has to be pretty loose ground to work though. As above, it’s something that happens when you get a sharp corner right on loose ground – it’s probably not a technique to aim for in every corner.

nedrapier

Slow down to go faster

Reminds me of a memorable cornering session on the dual track at Chicksands – someone suggested a no-pedalling run. No pedalling means you’ve got to keep your speed. You start slower too, so you need to work speed out of the berms. I got quicker and quicker and lower in the berms with every run.

You’ve got a good marker about how well you do, because the last long corner points you uphill again – the further up you get, the faster you were going.

I then decided to bam it up a notch and allow myself pedalling. Never managed to beat my non-pedalling best.

jimjam
    Free Member

beano68 – Member

Trying to maintain corner entry speed and I’m braking before hand and loosing speed and momentum so I’m trying to perform a cuttie or however its spelt

Any tips or advice as I can’t friccin the rear to loose traction at all even when I put my weight on the front and leaning into the direction I’m going

I will be going on a coaching day sometime but I’d like to get this manoeuvre sorted as I’m loosing so much flow and speed

Ta

That’s not a cuttie.

nedrapier

That’s what I’ve always suspected. Looks cool, probably feels pretty good too, but is it just a more skilful version of a back-brake skid?

No. I think there’s at least three different things being discussed here.

beano68
    Free Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDjem5RfuAI I’ll just keep playing around but your right @rob I’m probably going to fast into the corners

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Skills Advice – Cutties’ is closed to new replies.