Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Ski Boots
  • Stuey01
    Free Member

So, back in the mists of time (well, 6 years ago) I learned to ski. The following year I learned to snowboard and have been doing that ever since.

Last year in Whistler I was there with just my wife, who skis and is not as confident or fast (read: macho and with a disregard for my own safety 😉 ), so I spent a day on skis so I could spend the day chasing after her for a change. After a few wobbly minutes it was great. I loved it. Not enough to want to switch back to skiing from snowboarding (which is also awesome) but enough to know that I want to do a bit of skiing as well as snowboarding each time I go to the mountains.

I have all my own snowboard gear and know the benefits to be gained from having gear (in particular boots) that fit and are appropriate to what you want to use them for. So I am thinking about getting my own ski boots.

Salomon boots are my starting point as I use and love their snowboard boots (so comfy for me), and I used salomon ski boots last year and they were also really comfy. So it seems salomon make boots the right kind of shape for my feet. I will of course go to a reputable store for a fitting.

I’ve been browsing Salomon’s website and came across the usual intermediate general use type of boot:

I also came across this new-fangled ride and hike coolness, upon which you can release the back for easier walking:

The obvious choice is the standard 4 buckle thing, but the other one is pretty dang cool. I know there are lots of experienced skiers – so, what do you think?

I’m not buying my own ski’s btw, just boots.

IHN

Ignore the marketing guff/ride and hike nonsense (ski boots will always be horrible to walk in, no matter what they do) and buy the comfiest, correction, best fitting pair you find from a reputable shop.

Ski stuff is even worse than bike stuff for ‘this is the greatest thing to happen to skiing since the dawn of man’ marketing guff each year. I should know, one of my best mates comes up with it all 🙂

rkk01
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of Saloman Impact 10s. Very nice boots, well suited to my wide feet.

Go with the boots that best fit you foot shape. Don’t go for boots that are too stiff for you to flex.

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

I have a pair of the Salomon Quest 12 which have the walk thingy for touring. I have only done one day of touring so far but the switch was great for last years week of alpine skiing. Just being able to undo the catch and stand up straight everytime you queue for a lift or stop for coffee is brilliant!
    For touring you actually need to dp the laces up on the liner and leave the top strap and catch completely open, the switch doesn’t give enough movement for proper movement.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I have Impact 120CS. (Heat moulded shell and a custom footbed, natch). Super comfy, great boots. But….

I had mine fitted professionally. So should you. Ignore the brand, go to a good bootfitter and be open minded. Just because their board boots fit, doesn’t mean their ski boots will.

FWIW, with cyclists calves, I’ve found a four buckle gives a more “accurate” fit.

Stuey01
    Free Member

I had mine fitted professionally. So should you. Ignore the brand, go to a good bootfitter and be open minded. Just because their board boots fit, doesn’t mean their ski boots will.

I quite agree. And I shall.

I have used their ski boots and they were comfy, they felt a lot like my snowboard boots. But if something else fits better then I won’t be precious about the brand at all.

The calves comment is an interesting one, quite large calves have caused me a problem with boots before – I had to write off some snowboard boots that were otherwise comfortable because of it. That could be a big factor.

Bunnyhop

As above ^^. Have them fitted correctly and heat moulded.
    However it is quite strange standing in the ‘Benz zee kneez’ postition, for this process.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

However it is quite strange standing in the ‘Benz zee kneez’ postition, for this process

Even odder doing it standing in the middle of the shop in a bucket of water to cool the shells down after the heat moulding!

Stuey, whereabouts are you? Am sure one of us can recommend a good fitter near to you.

Bunnyhop

Could they find a bucket big enough? 😉

Stuey01
    Free Member

Stuey, whereabouts are you?

Live in Windsor. Work in London (sometimes – travel a bit at the mo).

higgo
    Free Member

Does your work take you anywhere near Bicester?
    http://www.solutions4feet.com/catalogue_main.php?catID=1062

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Oi, Bunnyhop! Cheeky little….! But then, you know what they say about men with big feet, don’t you? *

S4F do get some very good reviews. If it’s in London, let me know and I know a few very good fitters in town.

* Big ski boots. 🙂

Bunnyhop

Oi, Bunnyhop! Cheeky little….! But then, you know what they say about men with big feet, don’t you? *

It’s what you’ve been implying for years 😉

IHN

I’d second Solutions 4Feet in Bicester. And it’s only a quick whizz up the M40 for you.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

avoid profeet in chelsea…

get some decent footbeds, or at least some green surefeet, to stop your foot collapsing when you try to pressure through it – if you foot collapses as well it becomes longer and your previously well fitting boot becomes too small.

sam_underhill

Another vote for Colin @ solutions 4 feet. SWMBO had some boots fitted last week, and not only did she get a great fitting pair of boots (after a loooooooong faff) she also got a beer! He sorted my boots out last year as well, they are far and away the best ever. Be prepared though, he likes fit on the snug side – this is better though, I promise.

Edit: +1 for what TurnerGuy says, often the more solid superfeet or similar is fine, but custom foot beds rock.

IHN

When you’re talking to Colin, don’t whatever you do think of Shrek

Stuey01
    Free Member

Bicester is only just up the road, I could do that easy if they are good.

Have green superfeet in my snowboard boots, made a huge difference. Used them in the rental ski boots last year too. Had no discomfort issues at all with those rented salomon boots and my superfeet insoles.

NZCol

I’d dare to suggest your rental boots were comfortable as they were too large. Always go to a reputable fitter and listen to what they tell you will fit then fine tune as required, footbeds are useful and closeness of fit will be a personal thing – rule of thumb though is liner out bare foot in shell, toe to front 10mm gap is max for a proper fit, less is snug but works best. Assuming shell shape is correct boots should be tight but comfortable. Also, first run in the AM on hard groomed snow, leave your boots reasonably loose across the forefoot otherwise you may find your foot goes to sleep.

Love Col ex instructor and boot fitter.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Ski Boots’ is closed to new replies.