Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Ski binding mounting
  • Earl
    Free Member

Looking at getting a pair of skis for my daughter. The online store will mount the bindings if I tell them the boot shell size. Currently she is a UK 3.5 but I’m guessing she will be using them as a UK 5 by the time we move them on. The bindings are not on rails so I’m guessing they will be drilled in.

Can drilled in bindings be adjusted to cater for 2 boot sizes?

glenh
    Free Member

It is possible to re-drill and re-mount bindings, but obviously a decent sized change in position is required.

Edukator
    Free Member

Yes or more.

Find out the adjustment range of the bindings you intend to fit and the sole length in mms of the two sizes of boots you intend to use and give them to the shop. They’ll be able to work it out.

Earl
    Free Member

Oh and I’m looking at some new old stock Salomon BBR’s. Anybody own a pair?

Personally I love the tip look and I know the shape works for a snowboard. Maybe Salomon were a few years ahead of their time?

Earl
    Free Member

Thanks guys – she will be renting boots every year so i guess they will change per year/brand/model. I like to own my own skis/boards as .. just because.

footflaps

If you choose a binding where both ends slide on a rack, they can pretty much fit any boot size, so no need to re-fit.

The separate toe/heal bindings are less adaptable.

legend
    Free Member

If you ask them to drill the binding based on her current size there might be enough adjustment to fit her for a size or 2 up. As above though, bindings can be re-drilled by any decent shop.

Murray

Bindings with rails are often called hire bindings for just this reason.

Certainly possible to remount – check out Wildsnow – instructions are for touring bindings but it’s the same principle. Old holes can be plugged and glued. If screws are held with threadlock heating with soldering iron helps. Make sure you use the right screwdriver!

Earl
    Free Member

Bindings come as a package so no option to change to a ‘rail’ system. Good advice Legend – I’ll do that.

Love buying new snow gear….

dashed
    Free Member

Talk to the shop – a decent tech will be able to fit them at the max dimensions so they’re cranked up to fit her boots now but give her as much flexibility to go larger in future. Standard jigs will mount the bindings mid-range of travel for her current boots, thus losing about 50% of the potential travel if you’re only going up in length.

Only do this if you are sure of a) her current BSL and b) that future boots won’t have a shorter BSL!

orangespyderman

Standard jigs will mount the bindings mid-range of travel for her current boots, thus losing about 50% of the potential travel if you’re only going up in length.

Hire bindings are the only way to do this properly. You need to care about where the skier is related to the ski radius/camber, and just mounting as large as possible for the current boot and moving heel piece won’t get you that, or even anything close. Remounting (which isn’t entirely without issues e.g. water ingress if not done properly) or preferably hire bindings would be the only way I’d go about achieving what you want to achieve.

gonefishin
    Free Member

To be brutally honest hiring boots and owning skis is a bit daft, unless you get the skis and bindings for free. I’d not bother until her feet stop growing and then get a decent pair of boots, but then you already know this don’t you.

geoffj

If she’s 2 sizes bigger feet, she may need longer skis anyway.

Edukator
    Free Member

or even anything close.

But close enough. A cm too far forward with one set of boots and a cm too far back with another won’t make enough difference to worry about. Next time you’ve got a set of really adjustable bindings try moving forward and back and see how you get on, I doubt you’ll be able to feel a cm forward or backward from ideal, and you may find ideal for you is two or three cms from ski boot centre on ski centre. I had some rando skis (Hagan Titanium) with heels that were far too soft and moving the bindings well forward made a difficult ski a little less difficult.

Earl
    Free Member

Am i right to say for screw in bindings only the rear slides back and forth?

sweaman2
    Free Member

It depends on the precise binding but more often than not the toe is fixed and the heel is adjustable or everything is mounted on a rail.

What binding is it? I’m surprised it isn’t some sort of adjustable binding as most kids skis come with that unless your daughter has very small feet (which it doesn’t sound like). I only seen the very smallest kids bindings need drilling without the potential for adjustment.

I’m still a bit confused though about why you’re doing it this way round. Hiring boots in resorts is painful both in fitting and using. Hiring skis is much simpler and easier.

sweaman2
    Free Member

I’ve also just had a thought… are they mounting the bindings without actually having a boot to use as a template? Not all ski boots are the same size boot sole length even if they are the same shoe size so don’t you run the risk of renting some boots that won’t fit?

Edukator
    Free Member

All the ski boots I’ve ever had have had the sole length moulded into the boot somewhere. The skiman doesn’t use the boot, just the number.

sweaman2
    Free Member

she will be renting boots every year

= no number at this time?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Ski binding mounting’ is closed to new replies.