• This topic has 10 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by TomB.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Sizing suggestion for 5yr old
  • ninemind
    Free Member

I’ve been looking for a great bike for my son who just turned 5. He’s a little on the short side (39 1/2″) but has long legs for his height (16 1/2″ inseam). I’ve been looking at the Islabike CNOC 14 as well as the 16. According to the size chart the he’s right on the dot for the minimum inseam on the CNOC 16, however he’s 1 1/2″ to short which I was told means the reach to the handlebars might be a little uncomfortable. Islabike suggested I go with the CNOC 14 but I feel he would outgrow it way to quick.
    Any ideas?

matt_outandabout

Wait three months, he will grow 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

“Right on the dot” meaning he’s in the middle or just about big enough?

Tried him on something like a Frog in a shop? (Please don’t showroom)

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Tilt the handlebars back a bit and slide the saddle forward but don’t bother getting the 14.

MoreCashThanDash

He’ll grow out of the 14 before you know it.

But just try different bikes in shops, Halfords, Decathlon etc. The details of sizing will vary but you will tell by eye whether a general 16 is way too big.

yetidave
    Free Member

just got my 5 yr old a 16″ as she had outgrown the 14″… My oldest girl went at 5 from 14″ to 20″, but that was a big gap to jump. 😳

ads678

Deff get the 16. My Daughter is 4 and riding a Cnoc 16, it’ fine. Mes around with the angle of the bars and position of the seat. He’ll be too big for a 14 in about 2 weeks!!

The Cnoc 16 seems to have more stand over than the Carrera blast 16 my lad had at the same age.

ninemind
    Free Member

Thank you all so much for the replies. I have decided to go with the 16. Which is good because they don’t have any 14’s in stock for another couple weeks anyway. Also, I’m in the U.S. and can’t try out any good bikes at my LBS. They only carry specialized/trek which I’m not interested in for my son. I just wish I could get the UK version of the CNOC 16 as I don’t care for the coaster brake on the US version.

ads678

Not sure if you can Orbea’s out there but their MX range is good. My lad has a MX20 and it’s a great bike, good stand over clearance and seem well made. MX16 looks pretty good and proper V-brakes.

mtbel
    Free Member

bars can be rolled back to accommodate reach on those ugly as sin islabike CNOC things

TomB

My daughter started on the Beinn 20 just before her 5th birthday, no way I’d go for the 14.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Sizing suggestion for 5yr old’ is closed to new replies.