Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • +size 650 wheels in 29er
  • dockie64
    Free Member

Hi guys,
    I saw a pic on a Spesh FB page of a 29er enduro fitted with a pair of 650b wheels and +size tyres. I have a camber 29er and would like to do similar to it. Has anyone here done this or can anyone advise on what wheels would suit the camber and take 2.8 or 3.0 tyres. I would appreciate any feedback positive or other….
    thanks in advance
    David.

dalesjoe
    Free Member

I’m considering the same for my Cotic Solaris. Have a look on the Cotic website, they have the full setup for £600. Not sure if it would fit but a good start. Also s write up in their blog section. Interested too how people find it.

bigh
    Free Member

There’s some info here already.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/650b-and-other-plus-sizes-if-you-like-rim-tyre-frame-fork-combinations

I’m running wtb scraper rims(45mm wide) on hope hubs currently. My Pikes are normal 29er and run 3.0 tyres just fine, you would have to take accurate measurements of the frame to know what you can get away with on the rear, most of the time it seems to be 2.8s that work, on scraper rims you’re looking at 72mm ish.
    Another thing to take into account is chain clearance, you’ll probably be forced to go 1X10/11 or the chain will rub on tyre.

Oh and fwiw it’s fun on a hardtail, im about to venture into full suss + 🙂

dockie64
    Free Member

Very good point bigh on the chain clearance. I would like to keep the 2×10 for the climbing.

Ginger
    Free Member

I am running 35 mm Halo Vapor wheels with 3 inch Nobby Nic’s on my Turner Sultan. Plenty of space front and back and the tyres size up BIG! Height wise, they are barely any smaller in diameter than a Speccy Captain tyre on a Mavic 719 rim. I had to swap from a 113mm bottom bracket to a 122 mm bb to run it with a granny ring with a far bit of clearance. Long live square taper bottom brackets! 😀

bigh
    Free Member

3 inch on the sultan!!!!

Lalalalalalalala not listening, got a sultan hanging up in the garage… 🙂

nemesis
    Free Member

All I can say, having started that other thread is that b+ is brilliant. If you’ve got a compatible frame, I’d highly recommend it.

mark_rich
    Free Member

Heres some info on a stumpy 29er conversion, been thinking of doing the same on my stumpy evo 29er. Was gunna build a set of LB 38mm rims up for the 650b bike anyway so might pick up a pair of b+ tyres and give it a go, that width of rim should suit either b+ or normal tyres well.

http://forums.mtbr.com/specialized/29er-stumpjumper-fsr-27-5-a-969648.html

vondally
    Free Member

Ginger any pics of the sultan? What forks?cheers

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘+size 650 wheels in 29er’ is closed to new replies.