Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Site to convert a Strava route to CRS file
  • grannyjone
    Free Member

Unfortunately, the site that I used to use to convert a ride on strava to a CRS file (with the ultimate aim of converting this to a GPX file) has gone down.

http://www.gpsies.com/convert.do

Does anyone know of an alternative now?

portlyone

Seems to work for me…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

looks like raceshape is down too.

I recently let my strava premium lapse and between the Download GPX button and the tracking/goals stuff I’m tempted to go back. I wonder if the API’s might have been using 1 or 2 premium accounts…

grannyjone
    Free Member

I posted the wrong site! I mean’t this one:

http://strava-tools.raceshape.com/vpu/

grannyjone
    Free Member

The raceshape site is down. The convert.do site is still active. I used to use both of these to covert Strava to GPX but you need the raceshape website to work for this to be possible.

grannyjone
    Free Member

would be interested to know if there is any way now that it is possible to convert a Strava route to GPX

scotroutes

Click on My Routes in Strava
    Select Route
    Select Export
    Select Download GPX

Is there something I’m missing?

grannyjone
    Free Member

That only works for premium members! Since the Raceshape website has gone down I’m after an alternative for those of us who don’t wish to pay.

scotroutes

I’m not a Premium member

grannyjone
    Free Member

What I mean’t I’d like to do, is look a a route that someone else has ridden, and convert it to GPX.

I cannot use “My Routes” for this.

craig24
    Free Member

Hoping the raceshape website is just down temporarily. Do Strava still do a premium trial?

sirromj

I doubt developers are given access via Strava’s web API which allows non-premium access to premium content. That would be dumb, Shirly?

grannyjone
    Free Member

Well it has always been possible to get the GPX off a Strava website for free with the Raceshape tool. It’s the way it has always been. Now that it’s down, I’m after an alternative.

Getting someone’s Strava route and saving it into “My Routes” doesn’t seem that great to be honest as the waypoints are plotted extremely poorly, with large gaps between them, leading to a GPX that does not follow the route accurately.

grannyjone
    Free Member

I’m the sort of rider who wants to try new trails all the time and only knows a small fraction of the routes in the UK. Since most people post their rides onto strava and nothing else, getting routes off this is essential if I am to continue finding new rides and increasing my route knowledge.

scotroutes

Or just ride around and find routes the way folk did before strava? You never know you might find stuff that no one is recording.

grannyjone
    Free Member

If I just go and ride around anywhere I end up running into routes with too many styles / gates / footpaths with moaning walkers / more gates / more dogs / dirty farm tracks full of excrement / roads busy with cars / bog fested trails / hike a bike climbs / anything else you can think of that’s undesirable.
    I’d get all this and end up missing most of the quality trails. So I’d end up just “sticking to what I know” and doing the same routes over & over again.

craig24
    Free Member

Looks like it’s still down 🙁

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So I’d end up just “sticking to what I know” and doing the same routes over & over again.

I fixed that by riding with other people – possibly the ones who made the routes. Pop up where you are and somebody will show you something new

sirromj

There’s also the option of reproducing the route, you know, zoom in, pan around, and draw in the route planner of your choice. Not that difficult really.

grannyjone
    Free Member

That extension does not work for me.

I click “Export to GPX” and download the GPX file.

When I try to look at it in Viewranger it says “An error has occured, the GPX file cannot be uploaded”

Any ideas what I need to do now ?

cnud
    Free Member

Works for me in Memory Map, cheers!

grannyjone
    Free Member

I think I know what the problem is. It works for me on most Strava routes. But when someone has attached photo’s to their route (and I mean the type that are tagged to the route itself to show where they were taken) that is when it doesn’t work and the GPX just comes up with an error!

grannyjone
    Free Member

Actually forget what I wrote above, I’m still getting the error on routes with no photos on them.

It just seems to be a certain user (who is a premium member) who’s rides are giving the errors.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Site to convert a Strava route to CRS file’ is closed to new replies.