Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Sir Paul
  • scotabroad

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20090615/ten-mccartney-launches-veggie-campaign-5f8abb3.html

Can someone tell me why eating a coo is less environmentally friendly than eating beans and cabbage.

I for one certainly expel lots more of the greenhouse gas methane when eating vegetarian meals compared to non veggie ones. Coos certainly pump out gas from the rear end but where is the science for comparing the impact of the two dietary regimes?

Or is it energy expended in bringing the produce to market? In Dumfries and Galloway there is lots of land that is no use for arable but can be safely grazed by animals summer and winter, so there would be no crops there anyway.

Any thoughts,I think this story is a load of tosh.

ps. I have no problem with vegetarians per se…

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

I’ll put it more simply . . .

Macca F*#K OFF!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

ps. I have no problem with vegetarians per se…

Nor do I. Cows are vegetarian and they taste lovely!

Sermonising vegetablists, however, get right on my whatsits.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Several strands to this

It takes ( depending on animal and intensity of farming) 10 kg of plants to make 1 kg of meat. so more land is needed to produce a meal meat than veg

Coos produce massive amounts of methane – a serious greenhouse gas – people don’t. 200 litres a day per cow Even Druidh with his flatulence issue won’t do this.

Transportation and removal of waste. coo poo produces methane – altho that can be used in biomass elec generation

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

I for one certainly expel lots more of the greenhouse gas methane when eating vegetarian meals

are you sure?

two thirds of people produce little or no methane at all in their gaseous discharges.

Kuco

I don’t give a **** how much poo a cow makes I want my steak.

nickc

Which is one of the reasons we’re in the mess we find ourselves now…

Kuco

I don’t care I want my steak.

scotabroad

TJ

I can see your point but if said coos are getting reared on rough grazing theres not much other use for that vegatation. Also if that grass grows then decays into peat or whatever, does that not produce decay gases worthy of the term greenhouse gas?

Smee
    Free Member

If we weren’t meant to eat animals they wouldn’t be made out of meat.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Scotabroad – I don’t know all the details but I think peat is made from sphagnum moss which infact locks up carbon in the ground. The said coos will till be farting a airship worth of methane a year.

also if the coos weren’t grazing the land would revert to scrub / woodland which locks up more co2.

Low intensity meat rearing is less damaging for sure

falkirk_mark
    Free Member

But if we are eating them then we are stopping them farting, I mean if we did not eat cows we would be overrun by the feckers (and there would be no grass to ride on)

sockpuppet

it’s not the coos raised on scottish hill sides and turned into lovely steaks that are problem so much as the many many coos raised on formerly-rainforest south american ranches.

then turned into millions of bland tasting burgers for fat americans to devour.

tankslapper
    Free Member

Cows do create a lot of methane, bizzarely the most comes out the front end not the back

That said these bloody veggies who eat soya should hang their heads in shame for what that weed has done for Brazil/SA – where it hasn’t destroyed rain forest it has diplaced a lot of peasant farmers who relied on meat production and to top it all its mostly GM – very environmentally friendly!

If your a veggie then fine, just buy local and avod soya – which still appears in Linda McCartney’s products!

(Here’s a puzzle – when we invite veggie friends around we give them veggie food – cos they’re guests! When we are invited round do they make allowances for meat eaters? NAh!)

JulianA
    Free Member

Steak! Mmmmn… Blue please!

JulianA
    Free Member

Smee – Member
    If we weren’t meant to eat animals they wouldn’t be made out of meat.

Flanders and Swann fan by any chance?

tankslapper
    Free Member

Flounder and Swine surely?

scotabroad

Here’s a thought, is it just coos that are the problem then, how about pork, chicken, fish and other non ruminants?

tankslapper
    Free Member

humans….

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Less of an issue – but you still have teh 10kg of veg for 1 kg of meat issue – although I believe pigs can do rather better than theat.

Still more CO2 to process and transport them and thier feed as well.

I ain’t saying I agreee with the veggie view – I am partial to the odd bit of meat myself. Just making the agrument as I know it.

Ruminants with their eructation and flatulent ways are the evil ones
    And for goodness sake don’t arm them

mudmonster
    Free Member

“Soya’s main use in the UK is as feed for livestock. After the oil has been extracted the resulting high-protein meal is widely used in animal feed, forming an essential fuel for intensively reared cattle, pigs and poultry”.So can’t try and blame the destruction of rainforests for growing soya solely on vegetarians.

chewkw
    Free Member

Just eat everything in moderation.

🙂

dyna-ti

I do believe termites produce 1000 times more methane than cows
    😈 !!DEATH TO ALL TERMITES!! 😈

DickBarton

I’ve only been to a job centre once…and the q was pretty long…if we all stopped eating meat then that q would be even longer as the animals would then also be out of jobs (and don’t get me started on the timescales of the NHS if they also had to look after them as well!!!)…it’s our duty as kings of the food chain to consume these potential Q-blockers…

The way I see it is this – if a veggie doesn’t want to eat meat, there is more of the tasty stuff for me…so the greens gets consumed but so does the meat…so it’s all good!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Sir Paul’ is closed to new replies.