Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Singular Swift fork – will fat work?
  • nemesis
    Free Member

I have recently fitted one of the current (eg cream) Swift rigid forks to my older (blue) Swift frame. It looks like the fork has a fair bit of clearance so I was wondering if it’d take a (26?) fat front wheel.

Has anyone done this and if so how fat can you go? I’ve heard that it’ll do 29+ too – any feedback on that?

TIA

ssboggy

Not sure about full fat but a knard on a 50mm wide rim fits easily

Cheezpleez

Ooooo. Did you get the fork new from Sam? Is the A-C the same as the old blue one?

Tried a Knard on a Crest in the blue fork and it’s a no-no.

nemesis
    Free Member

Thanks.

Got the new fork brand new from the classifieds.

The blue forks came in 485 originally then 470. The cream one is 470 but visibly wider /more clearance hence it’s raised my question.

nemesis
    Free Member

What would full fat be considered to be? 4″?

nemesis
    Free Member

bump for the daytime

rOcKeTdOg

3.8″ won’t fit but I’ve got a chronicle on a dually in the wider version with plenty of space

epicyclo

nemesis – Member
    I have recently fitted one of the current (eg cream) Swift rigid forks to my older (blue) Swift frame. It looks like the fork has a fair bit of clearance so I was wondering if it’d take a (26?) fat front wheel.

I tried that with one of the original Swifts. It just rubs even with a very narrow rim (40mm). The tyre was 88mm wide on that rim.

So, unless something has changed, it won’t fit.

It also won’t fit in an On-One carbon fork (tubed one).

For my early experiments a few years ago I ended up bodging together a rigid fork out of a suspension one.

nemesis
    Free Member

I measured the fork and it’s around 3.9″ clearance around where the tyre would (I think) go so 3.8 being the absolute limit sounds right.

So, by my reckoning 3 or maybe up to 3.3ish would fit ok though I’m now wondering if that’s really wide enough to be worthwhile over a relatively wide 29er tyre.

epicyclo – the cream fork is clearly wider than the blue forks.

rOcKeTdOg

The 29×3 chronicle looks very wide compared to the 2.4 ardent on the back. The rim is 45mm tho

nemesis
    Free Member

And er 😳 I just noticed this on the singular site:

Clearance for a 29×3.0″ (29+) tyre on 50mm rim in the fork.

nemesis
    Free Member

So it sounds like you’re going with 29+ rather than a 26″ fat which I understood would be closer to a 29er wheel with a normal tyre.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Singular Swift fork – will fat work?’ is closed to new replies.