Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Singular 29+ on Kickstarter, but not on Singular site. How does that work?
  • I had a test ride on a Surlry 29+ at Tide to Tide and liked it, so now I’m looking what other options there are.
    I found the Singular Rooster on Kickstarter, but it’s not in the Singular shop.
    How does that work then?
    We’re well past the July estimated delivery date, but then we’re well past the funding period as well, so I don’t suppose I can just pledge £430 and get a frame sent straight out.
    The Kickstarter page mentions a retail price of £595, but if the frame is not listed on their site, are they available for sale?

Drac

Don’t know but that looks damn nice.

I also know a man who will probably know, he might be along in a bit. 😉

Sam

As explained in the text on the Kickstarter page it was never actually going to be July, that was a mistake when setting up the project. The original goal for delivery was September. Sadly that’s now slipping and looking more likely to be November.

It’s not on the site because I generally don’t like to list things there until they are actually available, or I have a firm idea of when they will be. I have been thinking about starting a ‘what’s coming’ section on the site, but haven’t got to it yet.

Thanks for the interest.

Sam @SingularCycles

Thanks Sam, I saw the delivery date had been put back, but not the cut off date for pledges, so I take it I’m too late to pledge then?
    Is my only option now to watch the kickstarter page for updates, then buy one at full price when they become available?

Rorschach
    Free Member

Sam….which november? 😉

Rik
    Free Member

Interested in this too. Do you have any spare at the kickstarted price ?

stevemorg2

Sam – are the Duallies being sent out with the frames? Do you think it’ll be beginning or end of November?

Sam

I will offer a better than retail price for pre-orders once i have a delivery date. This info will be posted here, there and everywhere i can.

Pre-ordered tyres well be sent as soon as they arrive.

riddoch

I have a large on the kickstarter deal that I won’t be building up if MidlandTrailquestsGraham or Rik want to give me a shout.

brianp
    Free Member

Sam, are the framesets welded, perhaps painted, even packed, shipped?

brianp
    Free Member

Sam, what I am trying to say is that keeping the Kickstarter investors like myself properly updated with emails every few weeks from now on should be part of the deal. Simple facts of where the build has got to and what the next milestone is and when that is expected. Perhaps you find sending an email just stirs a hornets nest and saying as little as possible works for you? Doesn’t feel good from my end as an investor.

I used to bring new products to market as a job and keeping everyone informed, keeping on top of planned progress worked best. Giving guessed weong end dates drives people crazy.

stevemorg2

I echo brianp’s comments – it would be good to know if for example I’ll have the Rooster for a ride I’m on early in December or not – having pledged in April I was hoping I’d at least know when I’m getting the bike and rims

rustler
    Free Member

What is it with anything 29+ & estimated vs actual release dates… 🙂

I bet it will be good when it arrives.

Sam

Brian and Steve, I’ll be sending a mail out this week. Thanks for your patience.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

brianp – Member

Sam, what I am trying to say is that keeping the Kickstarter investors like myself properly updated with emails every few weeks from now on should be part of the deal. Simple facts of where the build has got to and what the next milestone is and when that is expected. Perhaps you find sending an email just stirs a hornets nest and saying as little as possible works for you? Doesn’t feel good from my end as an investor.

I used to bring new products to market as a job and keeping everyone informed, keeping on top of planned progress worked best. Giving guessed weong end dates drives people crazy.

Posted 2 hours ago #Report-Post

stevemorg2 – Member

I echo brianp’s comments – it would be good to know if for example I’ll have the Rooster for a ride I’m on early in December or not – having pledged in April I was hoping I’d at least know when I’m getting the bike and rims

Dunno what the success rate for kickstarter is, but other friends who use it quite a bit for video/board games and films view it as lost money that they may or may not get something in return for, and in a lot of cases the ‘investment’ actualy works out at more than the value of the product, the only incentive being that they may never have gotten that product if there hadn’t been the investment.

On that basis Sam’s already above and beyond supplying the frames at a reduced price! It’s the reason I was wary of putting several hundred £££ into kickstarter, there’s absolutely no protection beyond the entrepeneurs reputation, which is obviously less of a risk with Sam/Singular than some others on kickstarter, but it’s still a risk.

Andy

obviously less of a risk with Sam/Singular than some others on kickstarter, but it’s still a risk.

Not really. There are very few others I’d lay down my cash up front with. And I’m not expecting it until December. I guess monthly updates would be appropriate though 😉

boltonjon

I’m still waiting for my Puffin t-shirt…..

However, i must say, i’m thoroughly pleased with my Puffin – late or not 🙂

I was going to ask if anyone wanted to drop out and I’d buy their pledge off them. Riddoch pre empted me. 🙂
    I don’t know much about Kickstart, is it possible to transfer a pledge officially, or is it done on trust?
    The term “pledge” implies that no money has been sent yet. Is that how it works? Do I just ask Sam to swap the details and I pledge the money, or do I need to send the money to Riddoch first?

(Goes away to read up on Kickstarter T&Cs…)

brant
    Free Member

Sam is legit. No question of that. I am sure he will deliver.

But Kickstarter do warn investors that they could lose all their money though I can’t see instances where this has happened.

riddoch

Legit and quick on the bike.

tomlevell

Money is paid as soon as the kickstarter finishes so about 3 months or so ago. (i’ve not looked)
    Realistically you’ll have to buy off the original pledger once they have it in their hands.

birney29
    Free Member

I’m still waiting on the kickstarter to be launched for the new kite, which Sam originally told me would be launched last April!

Sadly I can wait no longer and have bought something else. Shame, really fancied a singular.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I wasn’t trying to imply Sam was a risk, or about to run away with the money, just that by kickstarter standards (or any project) a few months late isn’t the worst that happens.

I’ve had a Swift in the past and would have another again if it came with a tapered headtube.

Sincere appologies if my comment was interpreted as a slur against Sam. I was just responding to some comments that implied a sense of furstration at a delay, when I’d have thought that was par for the course on kickstarter (and a delay being better IMO than comprimising on quality to get it out the door quickly or getting nothing at all).

brant
    Free Member

I wasn’t trying to imply Sam was a risk, or about to run away with the money, just that by kickstarter standards (or any project) a few months late isn’t the worst that happens.

I’ve had a Swift in the past and would have another again if it came with a tapered headtube.

Sincere appologies if my comment was interpreted as a slur against Sam. I was just responding to some comments that implied a sense of furstration at a delay, when I’d have thought that was par for the course on kickstarter (and a delay being better IMO than comprimising on quality to get it out the door quickly or getting nothing at all).

I don’t think anyone took it as that.

I think a lot of people misunderstand the small print of Kickstarter, in that yes, it’s funding a project that might come to fruition. I spent some time googling for scams/non completes yesterday and didn’t come up with anything juicier than some Kobe Jerky that didn’t rob anyone anyway.

andylaightscat
    Free Member

MidlandTrailquestsGraham,
    If you haven’t got sorted out for a frame give me a mail andy04665@hotmail.com

brianp
    Free Member

Someone had a change of plan on the Puffin Kickstarter and offered their frame for sale before delivery. Money sent to original Kickstarter investor, I understand that Sam shipped delivery to new owner so new owner had full warranty and was the only owner.

Fairly clear that Sam is a much better frame designer than project communicator and I know which matters. Even after all the fuss of the late delivery on the Puffin, have not seen a single Puffin for sale, barring one above. All reports are very happy owners. Wish I had ordered one but wanted Rohloff and frame is 170mm and now 170mm Rohloff is available. Must be difficult getting the frame supplier to break into his huge runs to make just a 100 batch. With the same issues for tooling, tube manufacture, assembly and paint shop.

Reckon Rooster could be pretty good too, so just hoping Sam will communicate just a bit more. Should make a great allround bike and superb off road tourer.

Thanks Andy, but it looks like I’m doing the deal with Riddoch now as it’s a large with anything mounts on the fork, which is exactly what I would have ordered anyway.
    Maybe Rik above would be interested?

teacake
    Free Member

Where’s me Rooster then?

I thought we were to expect an update the week before last?

I’d like to know where it is – even if it’s going to be late . . .

Drac

I thought we were to expect an update the week before last?

Sam is a great guy a genuine nice chap but he’s a one man army, I’m sure he’ll update ASAP.

But Kickstarter do warn investors that they could lose all their money though I can’t see instances where this has happened.

Happened to me 🙁

Clobber
    Free Member

Doesn’t matter now, can’t run Knards around our way because of the slop. Don’t need the rooster until it drys up or the dirt wizards arrive.

teacake
    Free Member

What about the new Maxxis Chronicle? Does it look like a mud friendly tyre?

peanut
    Free Member

Reckon they will be somewhere between the Knard and DW. Good all rounder, but planning ultimately to have a DW up front as soon as poss. Academic till the Rooster arrives tho… 😉

riddoch

Has anyone paid for the wheelsets yet?

stevemorg2

I’ve paid for the rims but not heard anything

birney29
    Free Member

Really don’t understand why Sam doesn’t send a weekly email out. Even if it said little more than ‘no news, but I’ve not forgotten about you”, I’m sure people would feel better.

teacake
    Free Member

birney29 – my thoughts exactly.

I had resigned myself to a long wait but being given a target in the last update,
    “On current timings it is likely to be mid-late October, however I will keep you updated as and when there is further news.”
    I’m feeling excited to be receiving it but annoyed as it feels like we’ll miss it.

Argh

ska-49
    Free Member

This sounds familiar..
    Doesn’t look like Sams learnt.

I’ve got less reason than most to be impatient, seeing as I’ve sort of jumped the queue, or at least I think I have.
    Sam, if you’re following this thread, please could you confirm that you’ve had emails from Riddoch and myself about me buying his pledge off him.
    If you can say you’re OK with changing the delivery details, I’ll send him the money, he can email you to say he’s got it, then I’ll email you my name and address.

Andy

Given the lack of tyre options at the moment I really am surprised that people are getting so hot and bothered about this delay. Also; why would the timescales be any different to the puffins?

Happy to wait for mine – even if doesnt rock up until January. At least then there will hopefully be a decent wet weather tyre to use 😀

Andy

Ha ha there you go update email from Sam this morning:

Hi all,

Unfortunately I haven’t got a great deal of news and what I do have is not as positive as you might like to be hearing. It’s taking longer for the frames to finish being built at the factory – I am not sure why this is. My last communication from the factory was that ‘they should be complete at the end of the month’. From there they need to go to paint, get boxed up, and then ship to me. That process is likely to be another couple of months. So realistically we are looking at delivery more like the end of the year.

I appreciate this is frustrating for you and I can assure you it is for me as well. All I can say is that I am doing everything in my power to make this happen as quickly as I can – no-one wants to see these bikes out there being ridden more than me. As soon as I have more concrete news and hopefully definite delivery dates you will be the first to know.

My apologies again and my thanks for your patience.

Best regards,

Sam

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Singular 29+ on Kickstarter, but not on Singular site. How does that work?’ is closed to new replies.