Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 128 total)
  • Singletrack vs Bike Radar forum
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

A lot of what SS and Nicklouse say is BS and they get very uppity about cars too

Really? 😈

It appears I have a BR login as well! 🙂 Dunno why…..

jools182
    Free Member

you get more help on here definitely, I just think the forum here could be designed a bit better

verses

I have a BR login but rarely visit. As others have said, the sheer mass of forums puts me off.

Also, I’m not keen on What MTB and MBUK, and I tend to think of it as the forum for those mags (rightly or wrongly).

njee20
    Free Member

There are no lasting threads on here, which is the disadvantage of the ‘all in one’ layout, it’s not necessarily better or worse, but there must only have been a handful of threads to reach 1000 posts on here, whilst other sites with multiple sub-fora have many, which can be good for organising events.

As has been said on both, I enjoy both, it’s all talking about bikes (usually).

**waves at BR self**

Northwind

couldashouldawoulda – Member

“But if you ask a tech question – only 2 people are allowed to answer – nicklousy and sub-supersonic. “

Total pish. Take a 2 second look at the tech page and see.

njee20 – Member

“”I just bought this £300 Hardrock”
    “Mate, that’s one sweeeeet ride, love that””

Something wrong with that? It’ll be a more effective bike than the rigid singlespeed beardmobiles this forum gets wet gussets after all 😉

I like it. More nonsense, less up itself, yes more noobs but still plenty of experienced riders. Just a different approach to the same thing. Oh and it has a wanted and for sale section instead of lumping them in together which gets it about 10 million points in its favour.

And also Surfmat, Fourcrossjohn and Grantway are all banned there 😉

njee20
    Free Member

Something wrong with that? It’ll be a more effective bike than the rigid singlespeed beardmobiles this forum gets wet gussets after all

I specifically said it’s not a problem, just amuses me, it encourages people, which is good.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Northwind – come on, don’t get too bitter, your diesel Focus isn’t THAT bad… 😆

Northwind

Sorry Njee, you’re quite right. What I guess I should have said was, why is that amusing? These guys love bikes, and appreciate the ordinary as well as the flash, that’s only a good thing right?

Surf-Mat – Member

“Northwind – come on, don’t get too bitter, your diesel Focus isn’t THAT bad…”

It is cutting edge driving excitement and charisma personified and you knows it 😆

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Or cutting “edge” maybe?

My mate has one (estate) – it’s perfectly decent.

stevious

Don’t know how anyone has the patience to use all those sub-folders and whatnot on BR.

njee20
    Free Member

Sorry Njee, you’re quite right. What I guess I should have said was, why is that amusing? These guys love bikes, and appreciate the ordinary as well as the flash, that’s only a good thing right?

I guess it’s because I’m a snob! I think I’ve spent too much time working in a bike shop to be excited by anything any more, certainly not bread and butter bikes like Hardrocks which I may sell 5 of in a day!

richmtb

I used to post pretty regularly on BR, I just got a little bored with it.

Migrated over here and have been enthralled by the vitriolic arguments between the regulars on here ever since! Better than a soap opera

Seriously though, advice on here is generally better, you can ask a fairly obscure mechanical question and get an answer.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

njee – do you get your kit INCREDIBLY cheaply? You always seem to have all the most top end kit yet working in a bike shop (unless you own/part own it) can’t pay a particularly big wage? Do you have any money left for stuff like living expenses or do you not eat/live with parents/in a tent?

Advice wise – I think every question I have ever asked has been very comprehensively answered here leading to some useful and interesting purchases. BR is too “big brand” led and some of the reviews are utterly useless.

njee20
    Free Member

I used to work in a bike shop, then got a proper job, but still get trade discount at the bike shop as I ride for them and do the odd day. Since been made redundant, gone back to the bike shop, although now got another proper job!

Get a nice enough discount, get given some kit, and spend virtually all my disposable income on cycling, although realistically that’s one bike a year, and I sell them for around what I buy them for, so it’s self perpetuating. I forget my exact account turnover, but it’s something like £53000 since June 2000, so I spend a bit.

Live with the girlfriend, so rent/bills etc to pay as well.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

njee – yep that £53k figure is embedded into my mind!!

I fear some bike shop workers may be a bit miffed at having their jobs labelled as not “proper!”

Just interested really – even at trade prices, you have some very pricey kit. Nice.

LardLover
    Free Member

Surf-Mat – Member

I am also banned.

DaveyBoyWonder – Member

Sticks hand up – I was banned from bikeradar for questioning the intelligence of a moderator.

I knew I couldn’t have been the only one.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Lard – I think there are rather a large number of banned ex users. See the mods like banning because it makes them feel POWERFUL.

I think it makes them rather gay.

alpin
    Free Member

sometimes end up reading a review on BR. are they affiliated with MBUK or that other shit mag? layout and text reminds me of those mags.

don’t like the stratified layout of BR or mtb-news.de. far too many pigeonholes to choose from. much prefer the slighty random and chaotic style of STW. it’S the only forum i use other than mtb-news.de, but then hardly ever bother to post. used more as a research tool. also very euro-jay-core.

D0NK

might i be the first to suggest a rival schools style fight.

we meet up in a neutral trail centre and throw down.
    i reckon we can take em.

they’ll all be granola pie eating, mail guardian reading, spritzer ale drinking, 2 wheels on the ground riding (true) vegans on fragile OTT race xc 8″ travel monster bikes.

Corrected it for him.

AlasdairMc

alpin – Member
    sometimes end up reading a review on BR. are they affiliated with MBUK or that other shit mag?

Yup, they came out of the merger of What MTB and MBUK forums, plus some road ones.

I don’t like the ‘review’ section, as you can never be sure if someone has actually ridden the bike or just regurgitated a press release. At least on here you can be sure that it’s a proper review of kit because it’s aligned to the magazine.

sheepsteeth
    Free Member

i hate BR, its full of repeated jokes that werent funny the first time they were typed and arent getting any funnier.

face-plant
    Free Member

can you discuss the pros and cons of regreasing bearings and the differences between cheap Chinese ones and other makes in a grown up and intelligent manner without resorting to insults and allegations over on Bike Radar?

No?

Thought not

that’s what makes STW so much better

tazzymtb

maybe we should love them all as they also enjoy the peace and “at one with cogness” that riding bikes provide.

This obsession that people have with constantly dividing into tribes and focusing on the differences between rather than the shared ideals can only make us weaker as both individuals and as a riding community.

How can we ever get land access issues etc.. sorted out as a cohesive group when we can’t even agree over which internet forum talking about bikes is the one true way.

*wanders off in a hippy daze and thinks that maybe the meds are a bit strong*

Kevevs
    Free Member

on here you don’t get yer general teenager thinking some bike thing is important and whoo and wheey! It’s more mortgages and depression.

tazzymtb

It’s more mortgages and depression.

that’s due to the fact that about 99.999999% of STW forum users are fat middle aged IT nerds, rather than gnar young dudes from BR (who are still valued members of the mtb fraternity and have an equally valid point of view on all things bike related)

steve_b77
    Free Member

All those with the exception of the world class numpty yeemanchee or what ever it’s called.

nicko74

Dunno if this has already been covered, but check out the Nigel Lawson thread – it’s not really the kind of thing that you’d expect to see on br (at least not back in my day), but has me in absolute stitches.

And picolax – you wouldn’t get THAT on br!

rudedog
    Free Member

Both Forums have their merits but I prefer STW – mainly because everything is lumped together it seems more active – although this can be equally annoying when interesting threads drop off the front page too quickly.

PenrodPooch
    Free Member

It is AWESOME here

grantway
    Free Member

What makes laugh is that one time I got into an in depth
    talk about making bikes and materials etc with one of there
    modes called Supersonic he got clearly out of his depth
    and at one point got truly embarrassing for him
    then i was messaged and told i may be Banned
    also with nicklouse too

Was banned in the end when people was defending the then cracking
    deal on the commencal meta 5
    And was i not right I believe i was indeed

RealMan
    Free Member

So, apparently, we are all children over here, who ask too many questions and are not ‘witty’ enough?

Sweet, I just cross trolled from one forum to another. Do I win a prize for that?

I don’t know what makes me think it, but I get the feeling that the average weight of a BRer is about 20kg more then the average weight of a STWer. I also think of a BRer reading MBUK and thinking doddy is cool. Where as STWers obviously read ST.

In STW you can have a debate. On BR you can have a debate, as long as you agree with the moderators. BR was way better when I was there.. 😆

Also, GTs are rubbish.

monkeychild
    Free Member

The fascist rules of the BR classfieds make me chuckle.
    The forums over there are a bit meh and are wayyyyyyyyyy to over complicated in their layout.
    Plus I am not gnaaarrrrrr to the power of sick enough.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Has supersonic started riding yet? he spent a long time talking the talk but not actually riding.

iain1775
    Free Member

your both shit
    my forum is much better
    members 1 – me
    Im arguing all the time

nickc

Don’t like the avatars, and the rest of the gubbins that takes up half a post, makes it difficult to read and follow.

besides I have enough forum shite in my life with this site, don’t need more… 8)

ashfanman
    Free Member

The point made earlier about BR posts hanging around for longer is a good one – the volume of posts given the combined format of this forum can mean that questions get buried – but both have their pros and cons.

BR = less elitist but more repetitive (what bike/tyres/etc)
    STW = a bit too niche-obsessed at times but lots of purdy photos

RealMan
    Free Member

Has supersonic started riding yet? he spent a long time talking the talk but not actually riding.

I think he’s got a condition or disease or something that means he gets really tired really quickly (serious). I don’t know what the excuses are for the rest of them.

stumpyjon

I post on both and find one or other usually holds my interest. BR is a bit more simplistic, definitely don’t ask a question more technical than what’s casuing this creaking noise. Haven’t found the mods to be a problem, interesting that ones on here complaining are the ones banned (or in Realmans case) hounded from the forum. I quite like the sub fora, doesn’t take long to get used to, often find on here I either miss threads or they’ve gone mental and are 10 pages long, seems certain people live at their keyboards.

More mature people on here generally although you don’t get abused for actually earning your living on BR like you can on here. Note to self steer clear of the political threads, it’s not worth the aggro.

thomthumb
    Free Member

don’t get the loads of different forums thing.

and i hate signatures.

RealMan
    Free Member

(or in Realmans case) hounded from the forum

Oh really? 😀

What have they been telling people..

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 128 total)

The topic ‘Singletrack vs Bike Radar forum’ is closed to new replies.