Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 128 total)
  • Singletrack vs Bike Radar forum
  • damo2576
    Free Member

Serious question, not trolling, but how do you see the difference in users and demographic between the two? I post in both and would say its a little more grown up over here. Most of the time…

Interested…

RealMan
    Free Member

Too many what full sus for £1000 and what tyre threads. Never get anything particularly interesting on there. Much more witty on STW. The regulars (including quite a few of the moderators) seem to resort to name calling all the time.

I may be biased though.

You have been banned from this forum.
    Please contact the webmaster or board administrator for more information.

damo2576
    Free Member

I admit the “what so and so should i buy?” posts do get a bit tedious.

TrentSteel
    Free Member

More what £1k full sus? on Bikeradar, more pig-headed know-it-alls on STW. Balances out really

si-wilson
    Free Member

Seems to me to be more of a newer person to the sport forum, though i could be wrong. Also the mod’s seem to be the know it alls of the forum 🙂

coogan
    Free Member

Does TJ talk bollocks over there too?

djglover
    Free Member

The proletariat over there. The middleclass wannabe proletariat over here

grumm
    Free Member

Younger people, less knowledgable, but also less niche snobs.

silverpigeon
    Free Member

I like the road forum, though there are lots of ‘what road bike for a £1000’ posts there too.

The workshop sections are useful. The pro race cycling section is very entertaining, the regular posters do actually seem to know what they’re talking about and I’ve never heard of the mods bitching about their magazine readers on twitter.

grumm
    Free Member

I’ve never heard of the mods bitching about their magazine readers on twitter.

Ooh what’s this?

Oggles
    Free Member

I can’t be bothered with all the sub forums over there.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I am also banned.

igm

As a variation on what tyres for, how about “what forum for winter riding?”

TheFopster
    Free Member

If they have anything to match the cheese thread on here the other day I’m all for it…

2wheels1guy
    Free Member

Try the MBR forum for tedium, getting very bored of that lot!

montylikesbeer

ss……………that’s the difference

Irish_AL
    Free Member

you mean there is somewhere else out there in this cyberinternet thingy other other than singletrackworld?

jedi

i have never been able to get on mbr

radoggair
    Free Member

dont really like the layout and useability of it. This forum is so much straightforward and better laid out

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

BR has its good points.

But if you ask a tech question – only 2 people are allowed to answer – nicklousy and sub-supersonic.

I’ve given a couple of very bike specific answers to newcomers over there (eg what size bearing balls are in the headset races of a GT avalance 1.0 2008). I replied 1/16th – 0.1678mm or whatever it was) to which the OPs answer was – supersonic / niclouse: can you please confirm. FFS over a 99p replacement.

I stopped after that. Here is better, you’d get an answer to the same quesion and folk wont post unless a: they’re taking the piss b: they know what they’re talking about.

iain1775
    Free Member

can you discuss the pros and cons of regreasing bearings and the differences between cheap Chinese ones and other makes in a grown up and intelligent manner without resorting to insults and allegations over on Bike Radar?

No?

Thought not

iain1775
    Free Member

you’d get an answer to the same quesion and folk wont post unless a: they’re taking the piss b: they know what they’re talking about.

Your wrong

Bike Radar’s handy for the forum rides section. The Wyre Forest thread is over 130 pages now, even though only 30 pages worth of that is actually organising rides.

I think Mrs MTG summed up the difference between the forums well when she was first thinking of having a go at MTB marathons.
    She asked on BR for team mates and no one was interested. She asked on STW and everyone was already in a team.

thejesmonddingo

For some reason they keep talking about bicycles on BR,why?
    Ian

mhailo
    Free Member

BR’s better.

njee20
    Free Member

They do take the word of Supersonic and Nicklouse as gospel, they’re certainly both very knowledgable, but they may as well just email them, as they won’t often believe what anyone else says!

Younger people, less knowledgable, but also less niche snobs.

That covers it!

It’s heavily dominated by a few regulars, who just talk rubbish. There’s a hell of a lot of the “what’s wrong with roadies” types, and a lot of morons generally, much like here. There’s an epic amount of cooing over very ordinary stuff:

“I just bought this £300 Hardrock”
    “Mate, that’s one sweeeeet ride, love that”

Type stuff. Not a problem, just makes me chuckle.

But… it’s generally more active than over here, which is why I use it, and you do get some good discussions, particularly if you avoid the CrudCatcher, which is why it’s there. I may go and post this on the thread they’ve now started: here

**waves at BR posters**

I always just go to the forum index and do “posts since last visit” thus negating all the ridiculous sub-fora which are a real pain, must admit I only ever tend to look at the MTB section though. On occasion when I’ve stumbled into the road section they seem a lot more knowledgeable, perhaps par for the course considering it’s the fallout from the MBUK forum.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Topics don’t come & go so quickly on bikeradar

Mark

i might register just to go in all special ops like and take em down.

down to china town.

It’s funny that often trolls on forums don’t think that the ‘other’ people read what they post 😉

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Sticks hand up – I was banned from bikeradar/mbuk for questioning the intelligence of a moderator. That was years ago though and I’ve not even been on the website since.

yunki
    Free Member

a higher percentage of bikeradar users indiscriminately drop litter on trails..*

this is the main difference and should tell you everything that you need to know..

*this information is based on extensive and meticulously recorded scientific research that can be viewed HERE

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Sticks hand up – I was banned from bikeradar/mbuk for questioning the intelligence of a moderator. That was years ago though and I’ve not even been on the website since.

Similar for me – the website is moderated by 12 year old know it all kids. A lot of what SS and Nicklouse say is BS and they get very uppity about cars too 😉

KT1973
    Free Member

The forum has no soul on BR- I don’t tend to use it anymore. The reviews are very good though, as are the rides/routes and technical help sections.
    Some people on here just love the sound of their own voice(keyboard) and have an opinion on everything. They should take things less seriously I think. I like this site though and use it more than anything else online

nobtwidler
    Free Member

WTF! There are other forums on the internet?

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

WTF! There are other forums on the internet?

With that username, I suspect you know some of the “darker” forums on the internerd too…? 😉

Jamie
    Free Member

….. and they get very uppity about cars too

magowen100
    Free Member

Bike Radar has the digusting filth that is the ‘girls in lycra shorts’ thread. I believe it is in the road bike, cake stop forum but that is only what a friend told me.

smell_it
    Free Member

STWho?? he says dashing over to the road bike cake stop forum, see you loooosers!

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Jamie jamie jamie – I talk about and discuss cars and use a decent background knowledge and experience to back up my points. BR mods just get ar5ey and ban people while crying into their old french hatchback ashtrays.

Yes they know a bit about bikes, no they don’t know a thing about cars – so when they get repeatedly (for want of a better word) owned, they ban you.

Not very mature.

The “rides” section was useful (ish) and the roadie section is full of utter c0cks.

steve_b77
    Free Member

The road forum is good.

Every bike that appears in the Show us yours on the MTB bit is a “Custom Build W.I.P” I had a bit of a rant about that and got chastised for it.

They also seem to only like FS and there is a plethora of absolute nuggets, hmmmmm 😆

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

That are also all mostly fat bar stewards that can’t climb a hill without whipping out the fags… 😉 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 128 total)

The topic ‘Singletrack vs Bike Radar forum’ is closed to new replies.