Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 280 total)
  • Singletrack Mag – Lightweight Issue AGAIN (Rant content)
  • paulosoxo
    Free Member

to be fair, there's only so much you can write about bikes.

Dave
    Free Member

So you missed some great articles based on the cover?

:o)

MrKmkII
    Free Member

So you missed some great articles based on the cover?

haha guess so! ^_^

Dave
    Free Member

I'd rush out and try and buy one, it's not too late to correct your mistake

;o)

MrKmkII
    Free Member

i'm sorry to sound so negative – my other main gripe is personal, i.e. i don't have a lot of money for luxuries like magazines! it's made me uber critical about all purchases 🙂

nonk
    Free Member

i like the mag but that comment on twitter is a shocker man. 👿

Duc
    Free Member

Can you honestly expect it to be "good" from your own perspective every issue ?

There are some issues when I read to cover to cover in the first day and find it leaves me cold. there are other issues where I read it cover to cover and its great. The magazine has changed over the years though (found all my old copies the other day) but then its going to everything evolves.
    That is with the exception of MBUK which stays exactly the same yearin year out and I still can't read it !

Either way its better value than what else is out there and gives me somethign to dream about when stuck in another dreary hotel with work or staring at the Road bike wishing I lived near proper hills that I could justify getting the nobbly tired bike out for after work !

shaggy

Lights test is a funny one. New lights tend to come out for the start of the winter, for obvious reasons. The bike industry isn’t super ahead of itself so the mags tend to get there test lights days before they can be bought*. So you have 4 options:
    1. Review last years lights.
    2. Write a review really quickly with limited use of the product (lots of mags do this, the results aren’t really representative of real world use!)
    3. Review the latest products a couple of months after the ideal time for users.
    4. A combination of the above.
    I night ride all year round. #3, the Singletrack option, makes sense to me!

* As an illustration, I had a really early prototype of the Diablo at OSMM, a couple of months later you could buy them.

scottyjohn
    Free Member

The content of the mag isnt the issue, its that rant at paying customers end of!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Jazz improvisation – terrible article, sorry
    I liked the rest of it.

what was said on twitter?

stuartie_c
    Free Member

what was said on twitter?

Vituperative vitriol

kennyp
    Free Member

I'm quite taken with the "readers' issue" where folk on here chip in all the articles for one issue of the mag. So Mark, Chipps etc, what about it? If nothing else you guys get at least some time off (I know it still has to be produced etc), and we get to "live the dream" as mountain bike journalists for a while.

As for the quality of ST, I've been getting it since issue 1. Not every issue has been brilliant, but it's still the one mag I'll sit down and spend ages reading. With MBR I've generally finished in about 15 minutes.

al_f
    Free Member

scottyjohn – Member
    The content of the mag isnt the issue, its that rant at paying customers end of!

Indeed. Wonder how happy the ST team would be if the "forum cocks" just went elsewhere and took their per-view and click-through ad revenue with them?

adeward
    Free Member

shaggy – Member
    Lights test is a funny one. New lights tend to come out for the start of the winter, for obvious reasons. The bike industry isn’t super ahead of itself so the mags tend to get there test lights days before they can be bought*. So you have 4 options:
    1. Review last years lights.
    2. Write a review really quickly with limited use of the product (lots of mags do this, the results aren’t really representative of real world use!)
    3. Review the latest products a couple of months after the ideal time for users.
    4. A combination of the above.
    I night ride all year round. #3, the Singletrack option, makes sense to me!

* As an illustration, I had a really early prototype of the Diablo at OSMM, a couple of months later you could buy them.

Maybe this is some of the problem ,, it's down to time scales,, a mag takes time to write produce print and distribut ,, there are now so many websites doing what the mags did but with instant results,, ,,

one of the websites I visit everyday is http://twentynineinches.com/ ok it's niche but it's what I want to read about, you proberly couldnt sell a mag with niche content,

but being net based they can have tests and info up instantly and no premier user payments (yet)

on the plus side STW is the only mountain bike mag I buy, but not every month

nbt

Dave – Moderator

I'd rush out and try and buy one, it's not too late to correct your mistake

;o)

Bicycle Smithy in Hazel Grove are giving away old copies for free, you might be able to pick one up there. They are really nice chaps who sell good stuff. I don't work fo them BTW, but if you mention me Jon will like me and and I might get a discoutn 🙂

I stopped reading ST Mag about issue 44, still subscribe as Mrs NBT seems to enjoy it. I've sent in articles and photos, still waiting to see them appear in print if they're good enough (I freely accept that writing for a living is bloody hard and my stuff isn't as good as the stuff the regular writers come up with)

Mark

What I said on twitter was out of order and I apologise. It was meant for my facebook profile, which is slightly more private but would still have been innapropriate even there.

This issue was a very tough one to produce and without exception every member of staff pulled out all the stops to make it happen. Seeing that kind of effort from everyone made me rather more protective over this issue than i should have been. Critical opinion is part and parcel of what we do. We expect it and we do, despite appearances sometimes, listen to it all and it is always reflected on and discussed in the office. We are our own biggest critics sometimes and we always have a post mortem on every issue as soon as we get it back from the printers. Personally, the magazine means a huge amount to me and I often let my passion for what we do and what we have achieved get the better of me.

Again..
    I'm sorry

I'm going to go get a drink now and go to bed. At some point over the weekend i will ride a bike and it will all feel better.

yunki
    Free Member

Singletrack is head and shoulders above the other mags.

I only just discovered it recently and was kinda taken by the way it's such a different approach to the other tired trash/advertising machinery..

add to that the quite abrasive but still just about scraping interesting and articulate forum and the deal was struck in my mind..

If the good folk running the mag aren't allowed to make a few crass comments and spit a few venomous utterances of their own from time to time then what is the point?

Are they expected to sit above the rest of the forum upon lofty ivory towers… setting a regal and dignified example to the rowdy twunts below?

I'm not really a great buyer of magazines … but singletrack will get my money for as long as they continue to provide an interesting alternative to the other tosh..

Andituk
    Free Member

I think we should get some Team Brant and Team Mark t-shirts printed 😀

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Takes courage to say "I was wrong. I apologise".

Fair play.

So how about this Readers' Issue?

rs
    Free Member

well said mark, if anything it was amusing and I think we all realise how much it means to you. I think anything you put out in a public forum you have to be prepared to take a little bit of criticism though, you can't expect everybody to like it all the time and with singletrack I think your fortunate that the majority do like it almost all of the time! Its a lot better received than most so chill out when you get the odd, its a bit thin this month gripe!

nonk
    Free Member

fair do's mark.
    most folks on here think most folk on here are cocks 😆

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Most folk on here are cocks.

Halifax ride in the latest issue? Might make me want to go and buy it.

Best mag out there at the moment? Performance VW I reckon 😉

grtdkad

😐

rOcKeTdOg

it's like the old singletrack days during the split with Shaun and the arguing about camera equipment

nbt

Don't mention Shaun! I mentioned him once but I think I got away with it

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Mark looks a little like the bear from Bo Selecta in his twitter pic to me. Damn beer goggles.

Jamie
    Free Member

Nice apology Mark. You are the Tiger Woods of the mountain bike world 😉

Nick

It's still the best MTB mag, ST does by and large walk the line nicely between the fun of MBUK and the flowery **** of Dirtrag, MBR and WhatMTB are just boring.

That said, I think Mark et al are facing a challenge to keep it fresh, there's a few new contributors so maybe that will refresh things a bit, need to keep looking for new perspectives.

chameleon78
    Free Member

readers issue is a $hit idea and would never get printed because everyone would be arguing about what goes in it – probably a load of opinionated waffle….maybe?

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

good mag. I like it. Good to see a bit of life at STW towers.
    Things looking up for mark too

el_boufador

It's still the best MTB mag, ST does by and large walk the line nicely between the fun of MBUK and the flowery **** of Dirtrag, MBR and WhatMTB are just boring.

+1

that sums it up for me

radoggair
    Free Member

Mark – Resident Grumpy
    What I said on twitter was out of order and I apologise. It was meant for my facebook profile, which is slightly more private but would still have been innapropriate even there.

This issue was a very tough one to produce and without exception every member of staff pulled out all the stops to make it happen. Seeing that kind of effort from everyone made me rather more protective over this issue than i should have been. Critical opinion is part and parcel of what we do. We expect it and we do, despite appearances sometimes, listen to it all and it is always reflected on and discussed in the office. We are our own biggest critics sometimes and we always have a post mortem on every issue as soon as we get it back from the printers. Personally, the magazine means a huge amount to me and I often let my passion for what we do and what we have achieved get the better of me.

Again..
    I'm sorry

I'm going to go get a drink now and go to bed. At some point over the weekend i will ride a bike and it will all feel better.

Its all very good apologising but i know for certain if i said anything like that on a forum/twitter/facebook which defaced our companys name as well as slagging off our customers i would be at very least majorly disciplined and potentially even sacked.

in a world where every penny counts this is not the attitude to take or show and when plenty of your customers tell you about the same issue ( regardless of how tiring you worked, like i would guess most of us do on a daily basis ) then you NEED to sit up and listen and realise there is an issue. You guys are all lucky to be in a job which i would guess alot of us on this forum would love to do, so please appreciate it and take feedback on board

That is all

duntmatter
    Free Member

most folks on here think most folk on here are cocks

needs to be here: http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/stw-phrases-youd-like-to-see-on-a-t-shirt/page/4#post-1239822

ton

i once slagged the mag off on here
    it ended in a conversation with someone.
    i was shown the error of my ways……………. 8)
    but since that conversation the mag DOES seem to have got a fair bit better and more interesting to me.
    to be honest, the rest of the uk's mtb mags are **** pish.

yunki
    Free Member

duntmatter – Member

most folks on here think most folk on here are cocks

needs to be here: http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/stw-phrases-youd-like-to-see-on-a-t-shirt/page/4#post-1239822

+ 1…. that actually illicited an actual real genuine lol

nuke

One unguarded remark on some stupid social networking site and suddenly its all high moral ground. It'll all blow over by tomorrow and be forgotten….or at least it should be.

chameleon78
    Free Member

Not sure that ST has any similarities with MBUK?!
    Dirt & ST rule the roost however of the others I think mbuk beats them, that's saying something, but recently it's not been that bad.
    Yes some articles are not going to please some, you can't please everyone though.
    Maybe a slight over reaction from all concerned including Mark but you can't really knock him for his defence of his and others work towards the mag. Would you say to a bike manufacturer that his bikes are $hit? You're going to get a reaction…

wors

You guys are all lucky to be in a job which i would guess alot of us on this forum would love to do

you serious?

if you don't like the mag, don't buy it. simple

chameleon78
    Free Member

Instead of griping on here why not put some effort into giving some money for sport relief and make a difference that counts to somebodies life? Not one to usually give or to preach about charity but seeing children dying of malaria is sad.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 280 total)

The topic ‘Singletrack Mag – Lightweight Issue AGAIN (Rant content)’ is closed to new replies.