• This topic has 9 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by adsh.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Singlespeedists Question.
  • matty456
    Free Member

Evening.
    Got a Karate Monkey Ops, currently running it single speed. It’s got a Surly Tugnut chain tensioner on the drive side and a Sun Ringle quick release. Every now and then the rear wheel slips and digs into the left chainstay especially when I’m chucking it about. Any suggestions to keep the rear wheel from slipping?

tazzymtb

Second tug nut or use a dt swiss rws which has loads more grip and tightens so much harder than a standard qr

Dansk1

I’ve got the same frame + tuggnut combo and use a halo hex skewer. Works fine, just remember to carry an Allen key.

singlespeedstu

Every now and then the rear wheel slips and digs into the left chainstay

Caused by braking.

Second tug nut

Won’t help as it only stops the axle pulling forwards.
    The left side of the axle is pulling backwards not forwards.

dt swiss rws

Will help or an old XT QR or bolt in hub would be even better.
    If you use a Hope SS hub you don’t have to move the brake caliper to get the wheel out. Just remove the axle bolts and pull the wheel downwards.

matty456
    Free Member

Thanks guys. It’s a Sun Ringle Hub, I might try the Halo Hex method first as the SRQR doesn’t have much grip on the inside part that clamps to the dropout. Actually here’s another quick question, should you run the QR lever on the drive side or the brake side? or does it make any difference at all?

chrispo
    Free Member

I’ll second the halo method. Can’t see it makes any difference what side you do it up.

epicyclo

singlespeedstu – Member
    Caused by braking.
    “Second tug nut”

Won’t help as it only stops the axle pulling forwards.
    The left side of the axle is pulling backwards not forwards…

It’s the positioning of the brake caliper that causes it to shift under braking.

You have to have the wheel dead square in the dropout if you use a QR because if it is slightly cocked it will move more easily.

On the old Inbred sliding dropouts you could use the chain tensioner backwards to prevent this. It might be worth seeing if you can McGyver up a backward tugnut.

tomatoevousparlour
    Free Member

I find using an internal cam Shimano skewer helps alot, much tighter clamping force.

Jon

takisawa2

I swapped the axle to s solid one with old fashioned nuts on my Inbreds, & ran without a tensioner. They were Shimano hubs though.
    Don’t know about Sun hubs.

adsh
    Free Member

Cheap Shimano QR done up tiiiiiight plus a drive side dmr tugnut worked for me and I tried to make it slip (place front wheel against wall, stand on cranks, bounce a little)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Singlespeedists Question.’ is closed to new replies.