Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Singlespeed – which one within budget?
  • daveb
    Free Member

I am looking to buy a built up SS and have a budget of up to about £800. It will be mainly used for off road such as Pentlands and Glentress, I would like something light but not stupid light to keep it within budget. Happy with a rigid fork rather than cheap suspension.

Any ideas?

**Or is it just better to buy a frame and then buy the various components to get exactly what i want – sorry, not too good on the whole whats required with SS.

Also – It would preferably be a 19″ frame

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Genesis i0 would be my first port of call. With £800 you you should have enough change for a few ‘upgrades’ if you fancied.

daveb
    Free Member

Hmm, just missed out on one of those new for £400. Gutted 🙁

amplebrew

I picked a Kona Big Unit last week from Winstanleys for £799.99.

Really made up with it 8)

Andyhilton
    Free Member

Sorry to be pimping my IOID again but I have a 19″ 2010 For sale. You can always ditch the forks!! email in profile if interested.

Andy

TiRed

Bought my used Kona Unit for £350 and would recommend a new one to anybody. I love mine. If it were 26″ I’d buy a Genesis IO. I like the alfine hub on my Airnimal, despite spending an hour cursing at trying to reattach the shifter to the hub last night, and would buy an IOID if gears are your thing (or you like the option of them).

You would not be disappointed by either bike.

Andyhilton – if it were 17.5″ I’d have bought it by now!

daveb
    Free Member

Andy, yours is the one with the Alfine hub isnt it? Not interested in that, want a SS.

Also – only want a 26″, I think 29ers are cheating 👿

pop-larkin
    Free Member

I got a voodoo wanga frame and bought the parts off here mainly- £800 will get you a great bike- the advantage of the wanga is when I come to my senses I can put gears on it 😉
    Walla was selling one recently I think

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

£800 quid gets you a very decent self build – for less than that I got a Dialled love/hate frame, some DT/spesh wheels off here, magura martas off ebay, rebas from Merlin and finishing kit from all over.

You can put a singlespeed adaptor kit on any freehub, but it is worth using a chainring which isn’t off a double or triple as those are designed to want to shed the chain more easily. I got a Thorn chainring off ebay for a fiver. The frame I have has both an EBB for tensioning and a mech hanger in case I change my mind.

rp16v
    Free Member

800 is pleeeenty for a custom picked ss build
    even better if u can grab some bargains in f/s section

mollski
    Free Member

ive got a brand new genesis frame 19inch with new bbracket and new headset ,email me if you are thinking of doing a build

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Singlespeed – which one within budget?’ is closed to new replies.