Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Singlespeed hubs worth it or not……
  • woodsman
    Free Member

I used a PC1 on my Rohloff’d bike and destroyed it time over on one xc ride, much to the annoyance of my riding buddies who had to wait while I stictched various bits of back together over the ride – we ended up riding back in the dark without lights! Just a little but weary of 3/32 chains from that experience…is a KMC 610 really that much better?

simon1975

SRAM PC1 isn’t 3/32″, it’s a rubbish 1/8″ chain. I like SRAM PC850 & 870’s (3/32″).

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

A what?
    A bike chain, any bike chain that fits on the teeth which IIRC a 9speed will work on a WI. Certainly does on Surly sprockets. I tend to use 1/8 BMX chains but currently using a 9 speed as it’s lighter ;0)

Yer bog standard bike chain is designed to fall off teeth. Yer singlespeed one is designed not to. If you’re dicking around with magic ratios, then a proper chain is kind of essential.
    FWIW, I just got a box of 10 KMC 3/32 singlespeed chains for £2 each on ebay.. With 2 bikes, I reckon that’s about 8 years!

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

These here

I knocked them down by a fiver as they sent the wrong split links.. You could pin join them fine though, or bodge the split link with another side plate if you’ve not got to fit it through a tensioner.

D0NK

– no real world advantages

dishless wheel? Supposedly stronger*, seems to be a bit of momentum behind >135mm geared hubs for this reason (tho yes it could just be marketing shite, and another 3 or 4 different “standards” to fleece us)
    /cynical
    😉

*not that I trash many rims on my SS

woodsman
    Free Member

Simon1975 – it was wider with speed links unique to it’s width – bmx type width. Perhaps it was another Sram chain – 1 speed on the box from my local (argh!!) Evans. Are you sure PC1 is 8speed…

clubber
    Free Member

Donk – as I said, real world benefits. Most people rarely break well built wheels.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Come on.
    The important thing is, ss specific hubs look a lot cleaner, and well, nicer on a ss.

cynic-al
    Free Member

…and with no real benefit…like most of what niche users spend their money on…

clubber
    Free Member

of course, hippy. just many try to claim otherwise…

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Singlespeed hubs worth it or not……’ is closed to new replies.