Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Singlespeed Hub Questions
  • drofluf
    Free Member

Looks like my current hub has had its day 🙁 so I’m looking for a new hub recommendation.

At he moment I’m using an XT hub with spacers. Would I be better going for a dedicated singlespeed hub?

Some of the ones that I’ve seen take a freewheel rather than a cog but from what I see there’s more of a limited range of freewheel sizes, mainly 16T BMX Or is my Google-fu weak?

Jase
    Free Member

Ive always used a dedicated SS hub but you will probably get a mixed response as to what is ‘best’.

I think freewheels do come in a range of sizes, I’m sure the WI ENO does anyway.

Clink

Freewheels mean it’s expensive to change gearing. Better off with a ss-specific hub (Hope – good but expensive, Superstar – cheap not tried) or spacing out a normal hub (use a wide-based sprocket though).

angryratio
    Free Member

The singlespeed pro2 is a superb hub.

Six pawls and a steel freehub. You can still run 6 speed on it if you chicken out of the singlespeed thing.

I run a freewheel on my commuter and it’s a source of headache every couple of months as i usually manage to kill them eventually.

ash.addy
    Free Member

I’ve got an as new pro 2 hub built up with DT comp spokes and Nukeproof Eliminator rim if you’re interested, there is also a CK 16t cog as well.

http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/ac328/ash_addy/On%20One%20Summer%20Season/IMG_3534.jpg

Ash

saladdodger
    Free Member

I now use a Hope s/s hub on 717’s and it does what is says on the label it works.

Previously I used a DMR hub on 717’s with a WI freewheel again it worked but alas the build eneded up lighter than the hope set up

With hindsight I would of stuck to the DMR/WI set up and saved a load of cash

saladdodger
    Free Member

Sorry should of said on the above post that if I was needing a new wheel I would get a superstar s/s hub and build a wheel onto it

Despite the grief superstar get of this forum I have NEVER had any issues and At >£50 the hub is well worth a go

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

In my experience:

Chris King SS Hub, expensive but lovely, make sure you service them once a year and don’t expect the alloy sprocket supplied to last more than a couple of months in gritty or sandy going.
    Hope SS Hub, good but the weak point is the freehub to hub body seal which can let mud into the pawl cavity and the six speed compatible freehub doesn’t really give you the ‘proper singlespeed’ look.
    DMR SS with screw on freewheel, does the job for not a lot of money. Easy maintenance and looks good (in red) but be wary of spoke rub on your disc caliper with 29er builds.
    Superstar SS Hub, not up to sandy soil, freehub is easily overwhelmed.
    Halo SS Hub, unknown but looks good in the brochures.

Freewheels:
    Shimano, Halo Clickster and White Industries are narrow enough to let you run 8 or 9 speed chains, cheapies restrict you to BMX chains.
    I’ve killed a Shimano FW in the sticky mud at the Brighton Big Dog but otherwise they have been fine for me in my more regular sandy, muddy rides, as has my Halo Clickster which gives quicker pick up.

takisawa2

Surly SS hub here, with White Industries freewheel. It spins, doesn’t seem overly affected by mud / grit, bearings easy enough to replace. Nice sound from the freewheel also. Never had any issues running Deore & XT hubs with ss kit either. Few freewheels gone bufft, but they’re s weak point geared also, anyway.

oxym0r0n

I now use a Hope s/s hub on 717’s and it does what is says on the label it works.

This ^

leeroybrown
    Free Member

i think you should buy a surly one like this one

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/surly-ss-wheel-and-on-one-chain-tugs

drofluf
    Free Member

Sadly it’s not a 29er rim….

drofluf
    Free Member

OK, my heart says Hope, my head Surly and my wallet Superstar 🙂

If I go for a Surly it’ll need a freehwheel (I think :?:). I can’t, though I’d love to, run to a White Industries one, so how long would a ‘standard’ e.g Shimano freewheel last me in England’s mud?

saladdodger
    Free Member

alas the Shimano freewheel is shite and do not last long honest, thats why I used WI on the DMR wheels

I would go superstar with hindsight, but I bought hope and wasted a wad

saladdodger
    Free Member

alas the Shimano freewheel is shite and do not last long honest, thats why I used WI on the DMR wheels

I would go superstar with hindsight, but I bought hope and wasted a wad

tommid
    Free Member

I have had Shimano freewheels last a couple of years, but others last a few months, for cheap freewheels I always go with ACS. I have two sets of Surly hubs and they are great. I now have a WI freewheel and I have serviced it twice in two years and it is ace. I’m not a huge fan of Hope hubs (I know talk like that will get me shot).
    I used to have a WI Eno eccentric hub which was brilliant as well, but now I have a frame with track ends and no use for it as it caused issues wth the disc brake.

Del

if you’re short on cash i’d go XT/A.N.Other hub of your choice and a wide-based cog TBH. i run on-one ( same hub as the DMR/Surly IIRC, in all but lettering, though Surly have a new one out now i believe ) and WI freewheels. they are good. last me well, but they are pricey for sure if you’re buying at UK list.
    maybe SD wants to move his ss hub/WI combo on…..?

tazzymtb

phil wood kissoff with a WI freewheel
    a DMR revolver with shitmano or acs cack
    goldtec pro comp SS short freehub with a niner or surly cog.

Woods and WI last for ever and look lovely, but a wee bit heavy
    DMR good budget option but nowt special both shimano and acs last about a month in winter in the peak and cannock, dreadful seals and made from cheese
    Goldtec- light, lovely and far far better than the hope SS I used previously They also do an alloy carrier to make it even lighter

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

I’ve found shimano freewheels last fine if you repack them occasionally with some sticky marine grease. I’ve never had one fail.. They get retired from the mountain bike to the road bike! It’s quite easy to take the cone part off with a pin spanner. They have a couple of spacing shims inside that you can remove one at a time as they start to develop slop.
    All the other cheapish ones I’ve tried have always developed horrible creaky cracking noises.

saladdodger
    Free Member

Del I have sold the DMR’s / WI wheels on

I should not of wasted the money on the Hopes realy cos they are no better infact they are heavier 😕

Del

🙁
    live and learn mate.
    happy new year BTW.

saladdodger
    Free Member

Cheers del you to buddie

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Singlespeed Hub Questions’ is closed to new replies.