Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Singlespeed front chainring – inside or outside of spider?
  • MRanger156
    Free Member

I think outside looks neater but is it better to have it on the inside for a chainring closer to the centre?

Stoner
    Free Member

For aesthetics it should always be in outer position says I, the fashion god, but if you need to maintain a central chainline you have to mount it on the inside of the tabs unless you can change your chainline at the BB (shorter axle length on a Square Taper for example). If your chainline is to the outside anyway (say for a rohloff or SS to a sprocket spaced out on a freehub) then its no problem.

GW
    Free Member

depends where your rear sprocket is spaced.

<edit> as above ^^ *I type too slow*

oxym0r0n

I’ve never been able to get a decent chain line on the outer, plus I’m sure it must be better to have the force closer to the BB/centre of hub when mashing up the hill 🙂

MRanger156
    Free Member

That was my thinking too. Will play it safe although can do either in term of lining up the chainline.

Stoner
    Free Member

plus I’m sure it must be better to have the force closer to the BB/centre of hub when mashing up the hill

makes no difference. The main force is coming from your foot which is already the furthest part of the crank away from the BB shell. And anyway, the chainring is attached to the same tabs just at different positions. Those tabs dont change their relative position on the axle when you change the ring position so distance from the BB shell is irrelevant.

devs
    Free Member

That’ll be a whoosh for stoner then! They are talking about the force applied to the sprocket at the freewheel. Most schools of thinking seem to suggest it is better closer to the hub than further out.

Stoner
    Free Member

Most schools of thinking seem to suggest it is better closer to the hub than further out

yerwot?

The sprocket is on the freehub. How can it be “closer to the hub”?

The freehub sits on 2 or 3 bearings one at each end. If anything the preference would be for the sprocket to be mounted equally between the freehub bearings. Although given the distance between the bearings and the strength of a splined cylindrical freehub body I cant imagine it being of any influence.

Theres a case to be made for undished wide flange width rear wheel build though which would put the sprocket as close to the overlocknut as possible.

Woody
    Free Member

If fitting to the inner bothers you aesthetically you could always fit a chain guard.

FWIW I’ve always managed to get the chainline spot on with the chainring on the outside using spacers or a spacer kit on a cassette freehub (assuming you are not using a s/s specific wheel/freewheel) – never damaged a freehub yet and you’re only talking about a difference of around 1/4-1/2″!

MRanger156
    Free Member

All fitted and lined up on the outer side of the spider. Looking forward to the first SS commute on monday, might be a bit harder than normal!

rOcKeTdOg

inside innit

Renthal + N-Stop by rOcKeTdOgUk, on Flickr

Stoner
    Free Member

thats just the kind of gopping aesthetics one has come to expect from the northern boglands 🙄

R.lepecha

thats a thing to think about, mounting it on the internal may cause it to sit really close the the frame, like the one above.

Stoner
    Free Member

thats a thing to think about, mounting it on the internal may cause it to sit really close the the frame, like the one above.

Its not like you’re going to get any chainsuck though, so a miss is as good as mile.

rOcKeTdOg

Its not like you’re going to get any chainsuck though, so a miss is as good as mile.

wot he said

bog lands?

Stoner
    Free Member

north worcestershire marshes innit.

R.lepecha

But if hes going to run a 40t chainring (Rocket’s is a 38t) it would rub on that frame of Rocket’s.

Bimbler
    Free Member

I’ve gone for the outside on mine purely based on looks, it looks loads better but does stop me running a push up tensioner as it fouls on the chainstay. Managed to get a decent chainline on my cassette hub by using a spacer kit with a mix of spacer sizes.

Stoner
    Free Member

rockets is only a 32T. Its so close because its a hulking great SS unramped, CNCd ring. Normal 32, 34, 36 middles have rebated on the outer face of the mounting tabs to bring the teeth more inline with the chainline.

That SS ring on RD’s would look so much nicer on the outer position. But he’s not nearly vain enough to move it 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

if mine is a 38T it’s grown 6 teeth since i bought it, running 1 x 9 with no chainsuck issues

at least we’ve got more than one hill Stoner *blows raspberry*

how’s the snow ont Malverns? good 6″ here since this morning, looking forward to playing in it tomorrow!

R.lepecha

Sorry my eyes are bad, your right its a 32t. Didnt look right well did i.

Stoner
    Free Member

the snow’s been pirouetting around mount malvern and generally missing us out 🙁 only about 3″ here…

devs
    Free Member

The sprocket is on the freehub. How can it be “closer to the hub”?

assuming you have spacers and the ability to move its position on the freehub, closer to the main hub body is better. Not my idea, just what I’ve read and as I regularly fubar stuff lugging my weight around then I’m happy to go with it. Chainring in the inner position and sprocket closer to the main hub body.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Singlespeed front chainring – inside or outside of spider?’ is closed to new replies.