Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Singlespeed for winter.
  • bigben69
    Free Member

I`ve really got into my riding this year both on road and off road.
    I`ve got the idea in my head that i need a singlespeed mountain bike for the winter to train on.

Any ideas what frames to buy…?? Carbon or steel… maybe something a bit different… I`ve heard that the Whippet is a great cheap option.

I need some help please 😀

forzafkawi
    Free Member

I have ss’d for a number of years, converting a number of non-ss frames, had an SS inbred and now have a Genesis iO rigid SS (steel) frame.

The thing that appeals to me about singlespeeding is the simplicity of the bike that I can just get it filthy on XC training rides and then just quickly hose it down and it will ready again for the next ride.

I have never ridden a Whippet so can’t comment on specifics there but I would imagine that it might benefit from a bit more TLC to keep it running nicely although actual owners will give better feedback no doubt.

All I can say is the next bike I am thinking about getting is a Singular Swift which is a very similar construction to the iO being rigid steel but in a 29er config.

bigben69
    Free Member

The simplicity of riding a ss is what i like about it,..
    I may hate it but want to give it a go,..
    I went down the 29er root this year but it wasn`t me!
    Great point and shoot bike but the compromise was to much on the twisty turny stuff,..
    I looked at the iO not bad looking,..

Duffer
    Free Member

An inbred will be just perfect! And 26in wheelz iz da future!

Word of warning about singlespeeding, though – once you’ve been bitten, you’ll not want to go back to those horrible gear-danglers…

_tom_
    Free Member

I’ve got my Chameleon (with EBB) set up as a singlespeed at the minute and I love it. The bike’s so light and stuff so it accelerates effortlessly. Thinking I may go gears eventually though.

bigben69
    Free Member

Ive heard this,.. lol Bring it on,.. Whenever the subject comes up they all say youll get proper fit,.. me like dat..! 😀

chiefgrooveguru

What tensioner for singlespeed conversion with vertical dropouts? Reliability more important than low cost.

drofluf
    Free Member

Remember “A singlespeed is for life, not just for Christmas” 😆

_tom_
    Free Member

Use a rear mech, or one of those that’s basically a smaller and sturdier “fixed” rear mech. I’ve used a few and rear mech is the best I’ve tried so far.

edit – one of these http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=58&products_id=480

Bregante
    ratherbeintobago

Also thinking about this; however, I gather The Panel’s view was that getting a singlespeed just because it’s more weather-proof was probably a bad plan.

As an exercise in suffering (and improving fitness), OTOH…

Duffer
    Free Member

I gather The Panel’s view was that getting a singlespeed just because it’s more weather-proof was probably a bad plan.

Don’t be mislead into thinking they need no maintenance at all. After all, they still have headsets, bottom brackets, hubs, freewheels, brakes, etc.

That said, Singlespeed is just better.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

OP – I’ve got a decent Genesis iO Singlespeed for sale if you’re interested?
    There’s a few ads for it in my posting history.

bigdean

I’ve a 20″ inbread swapout and a single speed rear wheel sat in the garage unused. Must sell them really. Love the single speed but went 29er after 2 months suuted my size

Cougar

Closed the duplicate thread at http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/singlespeed-for-winter . More info there FYI.

CountZero

Nobody has considered 650B as a wheel size. It’s what I would go for now, as it gives the slightly bigger rolling radius, without the wagon-wheel effect that a 29er has. If I could fit them to my SS I would at a moment’s notice, but the wishbone stay on my Inbred 853 dictates 26er.

benji
    Free Member

Great bikes for the winter, got a Cannondale Trail SS 29er (looking for a new home 😉 ), just building up a Pace RC129er to run singlepeed over winter, then possibly change to gears if i fancy making life complicated in the summer.

The other nice thing with a singlespeed is the lack of noise, not ridden one with a tensioner so can’t comment on the noise.

ratherbeintobago

Nobody has considered 650B as a wheel size.

Is that because there are very few (if any) mainstream SS 650B frames?

bigben69
    Free Member

Bregante,.. Sorry couldn`t pick-up.
    PeterPoddy,.. To small.
    bigdean,.. thanks for the offer but i`ll pass.

Ive done the 29er thing but wasnt for me,.. 26 is home for me!
    Thanks for all comments though… 🙂

Vortexracing

keep your eye out for one of these

love mine, 26″ Kona unit

P1050024 by eastham_david, on Flickr

_tom_
    Free Member

^really like that, just looks like a solid fun runaround/easy trails bike.

bigben69
    Free Member

Looks tasty,… How does it ride,…? £???

epo-aholic
    Free Member

whippets are great, weigh nothing but are very stiff, get something in steel, it’ll be more enjoyable and likely weigh more than your XC rig so make you fitter and you’ll be flying come the spring……..btw you do know its July don’t you??? 😯

Vortexracing

total cost above is about £500

but it does have R1 brakes and hope hoop wheels, and Easton bars

so can be had for a lot less

nikk
    Free Member

Looking forward to SSing my SC Highball this winter 🙂 SS specific dropouts that tension chain in a clever and solid way, single speeding is just a no-brainer with this frame.

nickingsley
    Free Member

Use a 2nd hand Genesis IOID (sold the alfine and replaced with a SS rear wheel) in Delamere through out the year. Great mtb to flick between the trees on the quieter singletrack trails and being Delamere not to hilly so can negotiate the hills, usually, well sometimes 😳

Agree not maintenance free but a whole lot less, only real hassle has been Shimano and other bmx hubs failing in the sandy mud that is Delamere resulting in long scoots home every 8months or so. Now replaced with a White industries hub – if only I had known earlier ! Old chain tensioner not so clever but newer ones far less fiddly.

At the end of the day whether it be ss or particular frame it’s whatever works for you – I just hit lucky with the Genesis and its a fab green 🙂

colournoise

Probably going to rebuild my Mr Hyde as a bit of a ‘leftfield’ rigid SS this winter for minimal maintenance trail fun. Won’t be light but should be fun and pretty much indestructible.

cookeaa

I love my SS baring the last month it’s been the bike I’ve ridden most over the last year, simply because I could slog round my local loops, get it as muddy and crapped up as I liked, barely maintain it but still be able to ride it within minutes. Makes you feel ,ore Manly, even if that’s not strictly the case.

Get one, a cheap one will do, saves your posh geared, bouncey bikes for when the weather is nice…

ndthornton
    Free Member

I want to make a winter bike but im thinking of using an Alfine – My local trails are just too steep – for me anyhow. With the gear I would need it would be useless to ride home on the road.

I_did_dab
    Free Member

I have a Genesis iO SS as a winter bike. It has needed new headset bearings and new chainrings and chain in 5 years of very harsh regular winter night rides, so definitely a money/maintenance saver. When I’m feeling fit it is great fun, when I’m not it is purgatory.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Singlespeed for winter.’ is closed to new replies.