Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Singlespeed for wifes bike?
  • bigbloke
    Free Member

Would a singlespeed be a good idea for a wifes bike that will get little use mainly just cycle path family routes maybe in forest. She is a non biker too.

trail_rat
    Free Member

only if you want a divorce.

titusrider
    Free Member

+1 – REALLY bad idea

wwaswas

wot they sed ^

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

non geared bike is grounds for divorce

bigbloke
    Free Member

Ok 🙂

Was just thinking as my son rides around on his bmx with no complaints it might be an idea for the wife as it is just for leisurely spins not xc rides really. Think Forest family trails like thetford etc.

wwaswas

still what they said.

StirlingCrispin

Wot they said:

How about a Shimano 3-speed hub-gear or something like that?

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Depends on your wife and the terrain surely.

I think if it’s only going to be used on the flat for family pootles then a singlespeed could be fine, provided she’s comfortable with the ratio. A lot of non cyclists are put off cycling by the fact that they don’t get on with the gears. A lot of cyclists(myself included) really love the lack of faff with singlespeeds.

For flat fireroads then the classic 32:16 may be a bit spinny but its a good starting point. Something a little higher would probably be the ticket.

wwaswas

For most non cyclists anything that isn’t flat or downhill is ‘a hill’ if you add a headwind then flat is ‘a hill’ too.

A hub gear might help but you could get a cheap 8 or 9 speed set up for less and have fewer compatability issues with wheels and brakes.

You want to end up in a position where she enjoys ridign the bike all the time, not feeling like she’s spinning to keep up downhill and struggling up.

svalgis
    Free Member

Women generally can’t grow beards, so.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Singlespeed for wifes bike?’ is closed to new replies.