• This topic has 27 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Nobby.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Singlespeed drop bar road bike recommendations
  • Bucko

I love my Croix de Fer for commuting but fancy having a singlespeed to run alongside it for the winter. My commute is about 7 miles each way with only 330ft climbing.

I’ve been looking at the Pompino. Any other suggestions for under £500?

Muke
    Free Member

Langster

Bucko

Isn’t that more of a fixie track bike with no brakes?

ssboggy

My Langster has got brakes both ends and the rear hub is a flip flop, I’ve got a set of crud Road racer 2 guards on it and it’s great for commuting on

brooess
    Free Member

Look at the Genesis Flyer – takes full mudguards now.

Pearson are well-priced if you’re near South London

S/S is great – virtually maintenance-free 🙂

Muke
    Free Member

^^^ Same as ssboggy but I take the crud guards off when I’m in the skatepark 😉

[url=https://flic.kr/p/eHQ2T1]IMG_1076[/url] by al4d, on Flickr

honourablegeorge

All City Nature Boy disc.

linkpin
    Free Member

Genesis Day One. The simpler, cheaper, SS version of the Croix de Fer. Oddly enough, I’m about to chop my Day One in for a Croix de Fer, but only reluctantly (I’m moving to somewhere with proper hills).

Aside from a 10-mile daily commute, I did a 400-mile trip on the Day One last summer, with tent and kit; it was superb. In fact, it’s superb at everything I ask of it.

lunge

Merlin Single Malt, £260, done.

lazybike
    Free Member

Dolan Fxe for me..

Bucko

@Muke, I’m assuming your Langster isn’t this years model? They seem to have changed a bit and look more like a track bike now. Yours looks more like what I’m after.

I appreciate all the suggestions, so far, I can’t believe I forgot about the Day One. I’d really like to keep it under £500 though.

Clink

@linkpin – I’m after a Day One disc – if you are selling yours I would be interested.

birdage

Ran my cross check single speed and now 1 x 9. Forward facing drop outs make set up flexible.

Muke
    Free Member

It’s a 2006 I think, bought it 2nd hand a few years ago for £180.

How about a Kona Paddy Wagon ?

Bucko

They all look like pretty good options, I’ll have to start keeping an eye on the classifieds. Does nobody think much of the Pompino then?

Mister-P
    Free Member

I am loving the new Genesis Flyer at the moment. My Equilibrium hasn’t turned a wheel in the 3 weeks since the Flyer arrived. Bit over your budget new though.

Moses

Stoner loved his Pompino, he toured it through France a few years ago.

I have a Kona Major One, a SS cross bike which suits me perfectly. I would recommmend it.

By the way, I have 52cm Langster F + carbon F which could be for sale. Never built, untouched.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Isn’t that more of a fixie track bike with no brakes?

Not 100% sure, but I think the older ones were the same geometry as the Allez and only the frame only version was a ‘track’ bike. The current version looks more like a track frames geometry though (but still has brakes).

Depends how compromised you want it to be, track bikes will be harsh and twitchy whether you fit brakes or not. However there’s nothing to stop you buying a normal road bike and running an eccentric BB, half link or a tensioner.

TiRed

Kona Paddy Wagon, Dolan FXE (if it can take proper mudguards), Langster if you want to bodge some guards, Genesis flyer.

Here’s mine
    Kona Paddy Wagon steel frame (whole bike was £270 off ebay)
    Full carbon forks
    Miche low flange/Sapim/Open Pro wheels
    Ritchey bars and forks
    Easton carbon seatpost
    Arione Saddle
    SKS P35 mudguards
    Shimano R650 long drop brakes (really Ultegra 6600)

weighs 9.2 kilos and rides sublimely. (It’s double your budget)

linkpin
    Free Member

@Clink It’s not a disc, I’m afraid.

hjghg5
    Free Member

I have a revolution track – think it was under £300.

Bucko

Are Charge Plugs up to much or are they more of an ‘Urban’ bike. 2014 Plug 2 can be had for about £350

Del

might be able to do you a deal on a cross check?
    i also have a langster – the version after that shown above. good, fun bike. the cc is also fun but in a different way – useful for my commute as most of it is through fields and parks, but i’m thinking of going disc. both are built fairly ‘middle of the row’ so i can leave ’em locked up in town.
    bit too much duplication of purpose though, really.
    i had a pompino and found it less comfy than the langster.
    you’re welcome to take a spin on either.
    the charge looks good value but it’s going to be heavy. langster is about 17lbs IIRC

Bucko

Cheers for the offer of the CC Del but I think I just need to keep an eye open for something like a Langster or a Paddy Wagon.

I was up Haldon on the weekend with Mrs Bucko for the first time since the February storms. I was taken back by the changes and hard work that the storms caused.

If I’m free for a Thursday volunteer day, do I need to bring any tools? Do you take a bike? Anything else I need to consider?

Del

No worries – shout if you want a go on the langster – it’s a 54.

yeah, fair bit of work put in by a lot of people up there over the past year.

No – you don’t need anything, except maybe some lunch. 10am @ the ranger’s lair.

I’m back under the yolk of full time employment again now, so am not doing a great deal up there at the mo, apart from riding.

pictonroad

Just had a Genesis Flyer nicked unfortunately, commuted on it for 3 years. Lovely bike, really liked the frame.

benji
    Free Member

Got a Paddy Wagon it’s great takes mudguards which makes it an ideal winter trainer, rides very nicely. Only complaint is the saddle, but then again it’s always going to feel odd when the rest of my fleet run Tundra2’s guess it’s time to change that bit.

Nobby

I’m assuming your Langster isn’t this years model? They seem to have changed a bit and look more like a track bike now

Ignore the pics on the Spesh website – if you read the specs they come with F+R brakes. The geometry now seems to sit between the Allez & Tarmac.

I’ve got the steel one & love it.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Singlespeed drop bar road bike recommendations’ is closed to new replies.