Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Singlespeed conversion…
  • Kryton57

I’ve a Geneisis Altitude sitting in the shed doing nothing so…..

…whats the easiest way to go about it (I’m not a mechanical genius) and what size rear cog do I need for general riding?

Detailed explanations of “singlespeed” appreciated….

donsimon
    Free Member

One of these.
    And one of these.
    Use the middle ring, assuming it’s 32T, for sarters.
    Enjoy it, it’s surprisingly good fun.

Pyro

Ahem… Got all those bits for sale cheap. Email in profile…

garage-dweller

Tensioner / conversion kit (including spacers for freehub).
    Would recommend a half link chain – I haven’t got one first time round and getting enough chain tension involves Tensioner almost touching the chain stay.
    Proper ss sprocket.

Charlie the Bikemonger is a great source of bits if you are struggling to find anything or just want great service.

You will also need either a bash guard or some shorter chainring bolts.

As a recent convert I also have to say go for it.

I find 32:17 works pretty well for most South central England riding if that helps so long as you can spin on the road! Popular ratio in my regular riding group.

Kryton57

How long is the chain supposed to be – I assume I dont need a new one? And for the front end, are you suggesting I leave the 3 chainrings on and just wind the chain around the middle one?

charliedontsurf

Watch this movie here… Everything you need to know…. And one speed kits.

How to go single speed

Or here…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93M9lvl8LM8&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

charliedontsurf

Get a fresh chain, why use a worn one?
    Use just the middle ring, secure it with shorter than normal bolts.
    But check the link for the complete kits, watch the video of me with short hair, and feel free to call me at the shop if you need Any help.
    … And welcome on board.

garage-dweller

Quick methodology for conversion from working geared bike.

1 Remove entire drive train including shifters from bars, mechs and cassette
    2 Remove chainrings from crank and refit middle ring in its original position with shorter bolts
    3 Refit crank
    4 Take some time to line up the sprocket spot on with the chainring by spacing it on the freehub. It makes a difference so persevere even if you have to remove the wheel 3 or 4 times.
    4a Set chain length wrap round and get MINIMUM overlap while still able to join the ends. Then join the chain.
    5 Set the Tensioner up according to the packet.
    6 Fit some lock on grips they will be seeing some fierce use on only one cog.
    7 Enjoy!

donsimon
    Free Member

And for the front end, are you suggesting I leave the 3 chainrings on and just wind the chain around the middle one?

Strip the three off and put the 32T where the big ring used to live, and yes, you’ll need shorter bolts or little collars. IIRC, which apparently I don’t. 😳
    Any vids of stripping the chain rings down, Charlie?

Kryton57

Thanks charlie.

donsimon
    Free Member

Thanks charlie.

No sweat here either… 🙄

charliedontsurf

Ideally you need to get the crank off the bike with a crank puller, then Allen keys take the rings off.

Kryton57

Belated thanks Don Simon 🙂

donsimon
    Free Member

*stops sulking* 😀

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What’s all this talk of gear ratios? You’ll never be accepted as a singlespeeder unless you know your gears in inches.

51.5″

Kryton57

If I need a chain (but have the other bits?) do I need a special chain, or will any 9/10 spead chain do the job?

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Got a new, unused one o’these, if you need it –

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Welcome to enlightenment – been SS for 10 months now and never looked back, if it clicks with you you’ll be addicted pretty quickly.

tinsy
    Free Member

Kryton, I think you need the right chain the SS specific cog on the back is quite a bit thicker than a cassette cog. (I think)

dufresneorama
    Free Member

I’m in the process of building a SS commuter. Will I die if I use a middle chainring on the front and an old 9speed chain?

Kryton57

Thanks Toxicsoks but I bought Pyro’s 2nd hand bits which includes a tensioner.

Now, where do I find a chain?

tinsy
    Free Member

Use the charlie link above, or there is anther thread all about SS chains running right now.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Singlespeed conversion…’ is closed to new replies.