Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Singlespeed commuting in combat boots; pedal and overshoe recommendations please
  • hertz32
    Free Member

I’ve just ordered a Mango Point Blank with Gatorskins and pursuit bar (https://www.mangobikes.com/shop/bikes/point-blank/point-blank-raw/) to pedal around base on, I’ll need to replace the pedals with some decent flats as my job requires I wear high top boots 90% of the time! Ideally I’m looking for a good retention system (Restrap diagonal straps?) that means I don’t have to go clipless whilst also fitting over these large shoes.

I also need to keep oil away from my clothes and shoes, so neoprene overshoes are the logical choice!

Would DMR V8’s with the Restrap diagonals be the best choice? I know I don’t want massively grippy pedals as I need to be able to move my foot over the pedal to get into the strap as well as coping with deep tread without taking chunks out of it.
    Does anyone have any recommendations for overshoes that come 1/2 way up the shin too?

hertz32
    Free Member

Thoughts on using paraffin wax in place of regular chain lube would also be appreciated!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I had re-straps, TBH they’re bad enough in trainers, I imagine they’d be bloody awful with boots.

As for a non-flinging chain lube, try putoline wax in a tin, it’s basically paraffin wax with all the sulphurous, graphitey goodness of a good heavy gearbox oil. Lasts 500 odd miles between applications too.

Before someone says it, yes I have tried Squirt, and Scotoiler UBS. Yes both kept the chain spotless. But neither lasted 50 dry miles, let alone a shower. Great if you ride <50miles in California.

Overshoes get shredded by flat pedals. The only person I’ve seen make a go of it for more than the time it takes for the pins to cut through the elastic had to pretty much mummify them in duck tape, and then gave up. Get some goretex or similar workboots.

I’m trying to imagine the job that involves riding round a lot, in work boots, but requires clean boots and trousers?

CraigW
    Free Member

A chainguard could help keep your trousers away from the chain. eg Hebie Chainglider. http://www.hebie.de/schutz/kettenschuetzer/chainglider/350/?&L=1
    Not sure whether it would fit on that bike.

Or some sort of gaiters?

Or just roll up your trousers?

TheBrick
    Free Member

Can you not just leave your boots at work / in the van etc.

treklee
    Free Member

He’s in the army, hence the base and clean comments.

hertz32
    Free Member

Air force actually! But yes, cycling around base in all weathers in flying boots and a set of Nomex flying pajamas that I need to keep clean. I’ve managed to write off a set of Meindl Desert fox boots by getting oil on the heel already 🙄

shermer75
    Free Member
    TheBrick
    Free Member

Ahhhh gotcha!! Might not look cool but mudguards with a really long front mud flap will help keep your boots clean too. I don’t know the size of the base but it might be worth going full Dutch town bike style

stu170
    Free Member

Why can’t you get oil on the boots?? Lox?? I’ve filled millions of pots wearing boots and overalls completely drenched in POL and ive not gone bang yet

hertz32
    Free Member

@Shermer
    Yeah, I found a chainguard that looks suitable here: https://www.velovitality.co.uk/products/velo-orange-polished-chainguard-48t?contact_posted=true#contact_form

Your suggested one seems to be shown with a 3x crankset in all photos I can see, so I worry that the offset from the BB will cause it to stick out a fair amount.
    The Velo orange one also fits well with the aesthetic of the Mango, which isn’t necessary. But it’s a welcome addition!

I’ve found Crud Road racers which seem to be ideal for what I need. I’ll compare the mk2 and 3’s to see what is the neatest solution for this frame, the Mk3 seems wider and heavier than necessary for a 25c bike!

mattyfez

I’d use a wax based lube, but also, ten mins cleaning the chain every week will stop any black crud building up, give it a proper clean once, then a rub down and re lube weekly will keep it pretty clean.

If you keep the drive chain clean, and it’s minimal maintenance if you keep on top of it, it will last longer and won’t get on your footwear/clothes.

Also superstar nano-x are great flat pedals, £40, or £30 with their regular discount codes.
    I use them with my hiking boots (quite chunky soles) and they work great with the small studs, but they come with a set of longer studs also if you need more agressive spikes. No need for straps or any of that nonsense. Nice big platform for boots too.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Singlespeed commuting in combat boots; pedal and overshoe recommendations please’ is closed to new replies.