Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Singlespeed chain
  • stayhigh

Morning All

Short and sweet, new chain for my SS needed. Running 32:16 with Gussett SS kit and Deore chain ring FWIW.

Cheers All 🙂

soobalias
    Free Member

KMC Z610RB

Splodge

While on the subject of SS chains…is there any reason to or not to use a quality half-link chain? The ones usually found on BMXs.

stayhigh

Had a look for the Z610RB, found it on CRC for £6 but no stock until may and nearly twice the price on dotbike which was only other link ggogle graced me with.

Just had a look on CTBM, Z510 for £7, any reason why not?

amedias
    Free Member

510 is a 1/8 chain, 610 is 3/32

you probably want the 3/32.

the 610HX is a fantastic chain, a little more expensive than the RB but still a cheap chain and very very strong.

jonathan
    Free Member

While on the subject of SS chains…is there any reason to or not to use a quality half-link chain? The ones usually found on BMXs.

Half link chains have a reputation for being weaker, but that’s mostly from the BMX and trials communities, so it depends on what your criteria are I guess.

I can see the logic – those bent plates look inherently weaker than straight plates. I haven’t actually looked up and numbers for them though.

stayhigh

I shall have a look for a 610HX instead then 🙂

Andy-R

The 610HX is an excellent chain, you won’t go far wrong with it.

ChrisF
    Free Member

No need to worry about the strength of chains for singlespeeding – geared riding puts the chain under higher load than SSing.
    I’ve used all sorts of chains, singlepeed specific, cheapo, half link, I can’t tell the difference between any of them. I just go for a standard 8 speed chain these days.

Haze

Wipperman White Star 108

Switched to them after snapping several Sram PC1’s, not had a break since.

Physiosteve
    Free Member

Another vote for 610hx and i can break a chain!Although I run it with a DMR tensioner pushing up to increase wrap around rear cog and had to trim the red wheel to get chain to fit

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Singlespeed chain’ is closed to new replies.